Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Also...it doesn't look to be too big of a chore at all to still be able to use the stock FL350R key switch for on/off, use the stock off/run/off for the sled's kill switch, use the stock push-button-starter for the Rotax starter, and the stock light toggles. Just need to check wire gauges on both harnesses, and with what I've got in stock in my shop. Won't have the transmission safety switch wired, but may opt for an "in-gear idiot light" instead. Only other item I have to wire-in is the rad fan which will run on a toggle switch & relay (until I can get the right temp switch).

Wiring hack fest will begin maybe even as early as tonight! :-)

I might have an idea for your "in gear idiot light". A few years ago I wired some idiot lights for my idiot son who like to roast belts because he would forget to take off the E brake on his FL350. Heres the link to the mod.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4685&hilit=neutral+brake

You might be able to install one of the actuators/switch near some transmission linkage to be able to actuate the actuator...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:11 pm 

I didn't think of an actuator. Nice.

I think my plan was to have a solenoid energized to complete the starter-button-to-starter-solenoid circuit only when the ignition was on and shift was in neutral. So when the gearbox was in something other than neutral, no Starty McStart-Start. When ignition was off, no McAnything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:04 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I think my plan was to have a solenoid energized to complete the starter-button-to-starter-solenoid circuit only when the ignition was on and shift was in neutral. So when the gearbox was in something other than neutral, no Starty McStart-Start. When ignition was off, no McAnything.

Will the fl350 trans already has two switches in it what not use them ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 am 

B S wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Will the fl350 trans already has two switches in it what not use them ?

I want to use the stock switch, but it was integrated into the FL350R electrical harness -- not the Rotax. The trans sensor is linked directly to the FL350R CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), which won't exist. SO I'll have to get jiggy with the new harness.

Will FINALLY be done with my sidewalks this week, and have already started reviving my '87 Zilla project. Hoping to get back on the Rotax project FULL-TIME in early-to-mid October. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm 

Hoping to work on the buggy this weekend, believe it or not!!! :shock:

Landed a 15.50" wide Kirkey racing seat with cover CHEEEEAP. Will be plumbing & wiring my brand new 5hp 60gal MaxAir compressor tonight (sold my $200 resurrected 80gal Speedaire for $500 on Monday :-) ).

So will most likely spend time cleaning up quad and buggy parts on the bead blaster, want to get the airbox on the Engine, and want to get the starter wire completely connected to the starter so it will roll the starter over. Momentum should carry on from there.

Also (before Thanksgiving) planning to finish the 16x22 back room of my pole barn with stud walls, insulation, more lights, and a pair of 9' sliding doors. All so I can have some HEAT in the winter and some A/C in the summer to work on stuff.

Attachments:
File comment: My shop plan...
Book1.pdf [25.34 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Hoping to work on the buggy this weekend, believe it or not!!! :shock:

Landed a 15.50" wide Kirkey racing seat with cover CHEEEEAP. Will be plumbing & wiring my brand new 5hp 60gal MaxAir compressor tonight (sold my $200 resurrected 80gal Speedaire for $500 on Monday :-) ).

So will most likely spend time cleaning up quad and buggy parts on the bead blaster, want to get the airbox on the Engine, and want to get the starter wire completely connected to the starter so it will roll the starter over. Momentum should carry on from there.

Also (before Thanksgiving) planning to finish the 16x22 back room of my pole barn with stud walls, insulation, more lights, and a pair of 9' sliding doors. All so I can have some HEAT in the winter and some A/C in the summer to work on stuff.

Nice to see somthing getting done

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm 

Also got an airbox & filter for late 90's Dodge Dakota that should work perfect. Takes a FRAM CA3559 filter, pretty small in size, and will flow a-plenty for the 470-twin.

My plan is to get this 470 running, so I at least can start/run it every so often while its a work in progress. Then I want to get my FL350 water-jacketed cylinder/head on a rebuilt lower-end, and swap it into buggy #1. So...I'm hoping to get the Rotax running & on 4 wheels at least, #1 transplant done, and get my shop done before Christmas. EFFING CHRISTMAS!!

I'm soooooo sick of being a GD forum lurker!!! Need to post some progress and useful content! lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:53 pm 

Nothing new to report except for a pic of the Kirkey seat & cover I snagged for $100. Owner said it had been mounted but never actually used. Sweet. Figure I had 5 buggies with 4 seats and needed a seat anyways, so might as well be a Kirkey. I sat in it wearing my Carhart bibs (not lined) and there's still a little room in the 15.50" wide seat. So I know I'll still fit in it during the holiday season.

Spent the weekend sick along with my pukey/boogery 2yr old. Had yesterday off and worked on my '87 Zilla.

Attachments:
IMAG0911.jpg
IMAG0911.jpg [ 36.36 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]
IMAG0910.jpg
IMAG0910.jpg [ 38.7 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]
File comment: Zilla finally going back together...
IMAG0935.jpg
IMAG0935.jpg [ 67.25 KiB | Viewed 1508 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm 

Here is the airbox I'll be using...

Attachments:
IMAG1101.jpg
IMAG1101.jpg [ 46.18 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
IMAG1102.jpg
IMAG1102.jpg [ 37 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
IMAG1103.jpg
IMAG1103.jpg [ 37.02 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
IMAG1104.jpg
IMAG1104.jpg [ 25.96 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
IMAG1106.jpg
IMAG1106.jpg [ 43.87 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

Dang ! What's that off of? I was looking for something exactly like that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:14 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Dang ! What's that off of? I was looking for something exactly like that!

Easiest way to see what its off of is via the FRAM website search for the filter CA3559...which is mostly mid 80's to mid 90's Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth 2.2L and 2.5L four-banger engines. Looking at the list of vehicles, you will very likely find one in a local junk yard, lol.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=CA3559

I got this one free from work in a bin of extra filter housings they were throwing out after we combined the Champ and FRAM test labs. I know there are at least 3 versions of the housing for the same filter, but this one is the simplest one. Has the inlet, outlet, and then a small vacuum/ccv port which will need to be plugged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:33 pm 

Very nice,thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm 

any progress?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:44 pm 

Nope, nothing. Ordered a couple air filters for the airbox, but the buggy has been hibernating in the barn under a tarp and blankets. Did some thinking and sketching for the rear axle & trailing arm setup, but its all theory yet.

Wrenched on a '90 SkiDoo 440 a bit and going to get one of my stock FL350's an overhaul so I have a buddy-buggy to ride with. I did get my shop compressor room built, so the new "comp-zilla" has a heated/dry insulated room of its own with a door.

Winter has been too long & cold to get much of anything done, especially the last 45-50 days. Sucks. Rigs are cold. Tools are cold. Extension cords and air hoses are stiff. Pole barn is too much space to heat, and the back shop room isn't insulated yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:43 am 

Its supposed to get into the 40s Tuesday correct? Maybe some of us northern guys can work on our toys too

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 am 

Hell yes! Although my wife, kid & I all have colds now. I'll be working on pulling a couple FL350 bottom ends apart -- NOT the Rotax buggy. I got propane delivered yesterday, so no more pesky conserving. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:05 pm 

My wife is sick also and its a matter of time till I and the kids get it too. Good luck!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:08 am 

Just noticed I now have my own "world" on here. Thanks Hoser! :-)

I actually took the tarp off this project yesterday. But it was short-lived. I just put a few cc's of 2-poke oil in each plug hole and spun the clutch around a few times by hand to keep things lubed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I just put a few cc's of 2-poke oil in each plug hole and spun the clutch around a few times by hand to keep things lubed.

THAT"S called the THHNEAAS marriage mate! :shock: ...(The Honeymoon Hangover Never Ending After Affects Syndrome)..................ORImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 pm 

bugeye59 wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I just put a few cc's of 2-poke oil in each plug hole and spun the clutch around a few times by hand to keep things lubed.

THAT"S called the THHNEAAS marriage mate! :shock: ...(The Honeymoon Hangover Never Ending After Affects Syndrome)..................ORImage

Its only gonna' get worse. My wife is preggo with kid #2 and due in August. AKA: July-November is booked full of non-buggy stuff. :shock: Its now or never!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 pm 

I picked that same filter box up today. I think that I may be able to make it work, I was at the scrap yard and seen car getting ready for the crusher when I remembered this post. thanks!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 am 

ChrisV wrote:
I picked that same filter box up today. I think that I may be able to make it work, I was at the scrap yard and seen car getting ready for the crusher when I remembered this post. thanks!!

Awesome! Its a great-sized boxed for a 2-stroke buggy up to 1500cc's, really. The airbox is for a 2.0-2.5L auto Engine, but the 2-strokes turn more RPM, hence can move more air.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am 

i ended up using the filter but the box was not going to work for me. There are pics of it in my my build post and in the tech section.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am 

Soooo...my infant son is finally sleeping through the night, I am finally almost finished with the #2 Zilla project, and I've started to enclose and finish my 16x22 shop room in the pole barn. This means I may actually be working on the Rotax buggy again this winter!!!!

Step 1: Finish Zilla #2, tune it and put it up for sale (last parts arrive Tuesday).
Step 2: Finish shop room (frame in, insulate, wire, drywall, plumb air lines, install interior overhead door)
Step 3: Work on my FL470 in the heated shop room.

I was up on the barn roof last night...in the dark...while it was sleeting...adding more overhang to the shop room's roof thank to the previous owner taking shortcuts. Only had 1/8" overhang which allowed water to creep under and rot out a 2' section of timber behind the steel sheathing. Yuck.

Hoping to have the framing, insulating, 36" door installed, and interior overhead door installed and done in 2-3wks.

Well my conference call is over, which means I need to get back to work!

:-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am 

Have any pics of the Zilla you finished? Still for sale? Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next