Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:09 pm 

i just picked up one of these engines on monday

what is the HP and compression supposed to be?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:02 pm 

B S wrote:
i just picked up one of these engines on monday

what is the HP and compression supposed to be?

The type 467 up through 1994 were 60-70hp, but they were tuned fairly mild out of the factory (but extremely dependable). The 95 & newer ones were 80-85hp. This is all from memory of reading the Doo sites.

Typically, 130psi & up (sea-level) is good. I remember this one I rebuilt ending up around 148-150psi range with new top end. Here's my rebuild...http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11384&

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:44 am 

Still under the tarp...and waiting.

Organizing the shop to make more room for storage so I can empty out the shop room and finish insulation. Picked up a couple of 12' H x 8' W x 4' Dp pallet racks with shelves. Buggy fits perfectly underneath. Will have all my buggy parts stored on the shelf on smaller steel shelves with standing room. Wish I had a forklift!

Also got a lot done inside the house this summer, so along with a heated shop, I'm anticipating a lot more progress on some fun-projects soon. :-)

Burned a good bit of R&R time wrenching on the 72" Exmark mower (left). Paid $3400 (cost $11k new) knowing it needed a little TLC. $200 of parts, a DIY valve job, a little paint touch-up...the thing runs excellent and cut my mow time IN HALF. I've got a used Trac-Vac for it which will be consuming this weeks' R&R time just in time for the fall leaf / thatch suckery.

Attachments:
20151008_230242_resized_1.jpg
20151008_230242_resized_1.jpg [ 63.89 KiB | Viewed 1531 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:33 pm 

From JANUARY 5TH 2015...

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Step 1: Finish Zilla #2, tune it and put it up for sale (last parts arrive Tuesday).
Step 2: Finish shop room (frame in, insulate, wire, drywall, plumb air lines, install interior overhead door)
Step 3: Work on my FL470 in the heated shop room.
:-)

Holy Mother of God...#1 and #2 are almost done!!!! Shop is far enough along for wrenchin' in comfort. And i started Zilla #2 today & she purred lIke an angry kitten. FINALLY! And I've got 6 more vacation days left! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:55 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Uploaded the pics to my laptop...

Starter bracket just needs a tab welded on for a 3rd bolt to attach to the side of the block. I only had 4" wide 1/8" steel, so couldn't make it in one piece.

On the sled, there was a factory starter mount on the ass-end of the starter, too. So I'll probably sacrifice that bracket and make an end bracket for my mount.

Mounting the starter here also requires the "older" water pump cover. It's smaller and points to the side. It had a two-tiered hose barb on it (like they uses the same casting for two different engines). I milled off the small barb and then drilled out the big barb for bigger flow.

Next headache will be the mag-side frame. Then the last big headache will be the exhaust.

I need ur starter bracket and starter + ring gear lol for my rotax 670 swap then I can eliminate the pull start and keep frame stock then my 670 project may move forward

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:44 pm 

I constantly scour the web for deals on TRA-clutch ring gears, but they're hard to find. And its winter with snow on the ground, so prices are jacked. Easier if you know what sled year/model your Engine came out of.

Glad my 470 came with e-start, but the starter has the piggy-back solenoid. Its huge and doesn't fit the Farr Engine mount as I've modified it.

Farr's 583 kits on there right now use engines with starters that [#1] have the starter mounts built into the starter housing and [#2] do not use the piggyback starter solenoid. Much simpler. Search "skidoo starter" on evilBay and you'll quickly find the same version depicted in Farr's web store images. His FL470 project looks a lot like mine except the MAIN difference is that I moved my Engine lower/rearward to lower COG and use seadoo carbs. if you bought a Farr kit that wasn't e-start, I'm sure he'll know which starter you'll need (and may even sell it to you).

Now I haven't checked to see if the "starter with built-in mounts and separate solenoid" would work on my 470. It just might because Skidoo tends to keep things standard. But the starter gear and ring gear would need to match, too. Not like I want to throw $100 around for test-fitting starters when what I have actually works.

I've never actually started my 470 since I rebuilt the top-end and mounted it in the buggy. I've rough-wired it and got the starter to spin & engage and turn-over the Engine. But never got wiring far along enough to witness ignition. I rotate the clutch around a few times weekly to keep things moving. Sad.

Attachments:
File comment: Skidoo starter with integrated block mounts (3 holes), no piggyback solenoid.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg [ 22.74 KiB | Viewed 1472 times ]
File comment: Starter with piggyback solenoid, requires a separate mounting bracket
s-l16400.jpg
s-l16400.jpg [ 32.86 KiB | Viewed 1472 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm 

I didn't get mine off farr offroad mine is a 1998 ski doo MXZ 670 doesnt come with e start pulled it out of a running driving sled lol I rotate my 670 crank often too it is sad lmao

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:30 pm 

crackerwarrior wrote:
I didn't get mine off farr offroad mine is a 1998 ski doo MXZ 670 doesnt come with e start pulled it out of a running driving sled lol I rotate my 670 crank often too it is sad lmao

Oh, sorry! I was thinking you were the guy who just bought a Farr kit. My bad! :shock:

Search the DooTalk forums and you may be able to find exactly what you need for the e-start conversion. Its a fairly common swap. Find a wiring diagram for one WITH e-start and compare it with yours.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04 pm 

After building sidewalks for my house by hand...after having my 2nd kid...after retro-fitting a snowblower to my lawn tractor...after the valve-job on my new-to-me Exmark...after retro-fitting a lawn vac' to the Exmark...after building my wife a friggin' fireplace...after finishing & selling the other LT500R...after finishing the shop room far enough along...and selling my 2 extra oddy rollers..................................I am proud to announce...

Wooooooooo-hoooooooooooooo, I rolled the FL470 project into the shop room last night!!!
Time to burn some midnight oil on this project. Already studying the wiring schematic again. :-) :-) ::: :-) :-)

Immediate plans:
#1. Get this type-467 Engine running & tuned on the stock chassis w/ stock gearbox
#2. Play with alternative suspension, axle & gearbox options

I'm also going to be starting my cnc plasma table project (officially) once it gets warmer, since the funds from the sale of the LT500R quad and spare Engine will pay for the new p-torch and the electronics. This will be a separate build thread and upon completion will open up the possibilities for all kinds of fun shizzle!!! So I need to get moving on the FL470 before the cnc project eclipses it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 pm 

Congrats on the second kid! (if I didn't say it already)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:13 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Congrats on the second kid! (if I didn't say it already)

Thanks...he'll be 2 in July. And here I thought you cared. haaa

Amazing how long projects can sit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 am 

Yes sorry congrats on baby #2, if I have not already said it, LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm 

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 am 

Not really sure my 5gal RCI fuel cell is going to work. Really wish I could TIG myself one that fits the chassis in & above where the stock fuel tank was. MIG'ing a tank isn't a great idea. The radiator & fan are a little big (Honda civic) and I'd have to build additional frame work to fit it & fuel tank as-is. Looks like Farr is/was going to sell his Rotax-ready tanks for $250, buuuuut I modified by Farr plates for the SeaDoo intake and doubt it'd fit.

Thought about MX style dual radiator setup with dual side-mounted scoops, but plumbing would suck. Not sure one scoop would be enough air to run a winter toy in summer heat.

Other decision still lurking include oil bottle. Run stock vs. aftermarket tank? Skip it and run pre-mix?

Buying a new battery for this project on my way home tonight. Should have the electrical basics tested this weekend (i.e. key-start working, sled lights working, etc). Then some harness hacking & re-wire can begin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:34 am 

Actually pulled this Engine last night after I couldn't get to the starter wiring connectors. Hoping to get it to at least turn-over soon with the sled harness. :-)

I also own a TIG now and hoping to make a fuel tank.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7