Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Pics ??
Why so secret ??

Once I have the disk brakes working as they should, I'll share my details. I spent a lot of time & a couple hundy $'s with my own R&D. I don't want someone to just take my idea & info and simply beat me to the finish line. That's all. =)

oh ok that sounds fair.
Just couldn't figure out why no pics.
Sounds like you might start selling them :-)
If that's the plan leave out some "selected info" so no one will copy you.
Things like where you got and model # of spindles etc. Pic's not completely helpful if you leave out some of that "selected info". :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm 

i will say that his stainless brake line kit is a must. I upgaded my pilot with the 2 piece rear braided brake line and then 3 piece fronts and i have never had that solid of brakes on a pilot ody. the stock hoses must have been swelling when the pressure was applied. a very worthwhile upgrade for sure!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:13 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Pics ??
Why so secret ??

Once I have the disk brakes working as they should, I'll share my details. I spent a lot of time & a couple hundy $'s with my own R&D. I don't want someone to just take my idea & info and simply beat me to the finish line. That's all. =)

oh ok that sounds fair.
Just couldn't figure out why no pics.
Sounds like you might start selling them :-)
If that's the plan leave out some "selected info" so no one will copy you.
Things like where you got and model # of spindles etc. Pic's not completely helpful if you leave out some of that "selected info". :-)

Nope, not really any plans to sell disc conversion kits. I put some time/effort/money into the mysterious caliper adapter plate, but everything else is 100% off-the-ebay-shelf. Life has me busy as ever, so not much time for hobby-biz.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:15 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
i will say that his stainless brake line kit is a must. I upgaded my pilot with the 2 piece rear braided brake line and then 3 piece fronts and i have never had that solid of brakes on a pilot ody. the stock hoses must have been swelling when the pressure was applied. a very worthwhile upgrade for sure!

Thank you, sir! Very glad the SS kit worked out for you. You're the beta test. Tell you what, the shrink tube isn't exactly a fun job, lol.

Anxious to get my 100% SS lines on the Oddy. I have to finish this pesky LT500R 'Zilla project first. As soon as its done and running, buggy #1 is next. Then it'll be back to FL350 LT & Rotax.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:27 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:

Thank you, sir! Very glad the SS kit worked out for you. You're the beta test. Tell you what, the shrink tube isn't exactly a fun job, lol.

Anxious to get my 100% SS lines on the Oddy. I have to finish this pesky LT500R 'Zilla project first. As soon as its done and running, buggy #1 is next. Then it'll be back to FL350 LT & Rotax.

well, i plan to ride the hell out of my pilot this weekend/week so i will let you know how they work. don't see why they wont work awesome. Even though the shrink tube job sucks, it sure does make the lines look good and they wont scratch any of the places the rub.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:47 am 

Cat is out of the bag!

No reason to be secretive about the guts.

I was using TRX450R front wheels and Polaris Predator dual-piston calipers. The calipers are small enough to fit inside the wheels.

As for the caliper brackets...you're on your own. I hacked my 1st iteration to make it fit, so no sense in posting dimensions or any crap like that -- its useless. If you have cardboard, marker, and a razor knife...you can certainly figga' it out. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:29 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:

From what I have read on this site D$ stainless brake lines are the way to go. I ordered a set last month and I am installing it on my spare oddy rebuild. Still have to do the shrink tube thing or maybe I will leave it as they look sexy -- not sure yet. Will do a ride report this summer and let you all know. When I took the old lines off they feel quite soft when you squeeze them with your fingers. In my opinion, after 30yrs I bet everyone's brake lines are done. Remember these things were made in the mid 80's.
PS thx D$.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 pm 

You can get the clear shrink tube in rolls at Grainger for like $18 + s/h. There's a Grainger service center 5mi from my work, so shipping to a S/C is free. I run a fine bead clear silicone caulk on the end before sealing, and then will shrink a colored tube over that joint. Water tight and sexy (like a dental floss bikini on a Victorias Secret model!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:03 am 

Hi guys, nice work on the r&d. I'm not trying to steal anyone's ideas but I'd like to know more about what you guys said in the beginning about a direct fit option. You mentioned early trx hubs would fit but I wasn't sure if there was more to it? I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with all this old research and wanted to details for a direct easy swap. For instance do we use a trx250x or trx250r hubs? And rims options would be obviously one of those but any idea of other vehicles using that pattern we could direct fit? Thanks for any replys.
Kevin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:37 pm 

Kforrest wrote:
Hi guys, nice work on the r&d. I'm not trying to steal anyone's ideas but I'd like to know more about what you guys said in the beginning about a direct fit option. You mentioned early trx hubs would fit but I wasn't sure if there was more to it? I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with all this old research and wanted to details for a direct easy swap. For instance do we use a trx250x or trx250r hubs? And rims options would be obviously one of those but any idea of other vehicles using that pattern we could direct fit? Thanks for any replys.
Kevin

Front hubs off the 86-87 TRX250R. The spindle shafts are identical, hence the hubs are interchangeable (spindles are NOT).

The hubs are in a 4x144mm pattern, hence wheels for the TRX250R & TRX450R fit (and others). Plenty of them on the market, no doubt.

Attachments:
TRX250R-FL35-R_Spindles.jpg
TRX250R-FL35-R_Spindles.jpg [ 46.06 KiB | Viewed 1205 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:31 pm 

Huh..huh...huh..You said hence!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:58 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Huh..huh...huh..You said hence!

I use "hence" and "therefore" a lot. Sometimes I can sound like an early English noble, lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:17 am 

Thanks for that input. I have documented for a future write up.
Kevin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:06 am 

Sorry should have re read the entire thread prior to earlier post. Spindle hub all cross's over change rim but the only way it works is if you fabricate up a caliper mounting bracket for the assembly correct? It's late and I'm just trying to get my facts in order lol.
Thanks Kevin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 am 

Kforrest wrote:
Sorry should have re read the entire thread prior to earlier post. Spindle hub all cross's over change rim but the only way it works is if you fabricate up a caliper mounting bracket for the assembly correct? It's late and I'm just trying to get my facts in order lol.
Thanks Kevin.

Right. You have to make brackets for the calipers. The Polaris Predator calipers a fairly small and can fit inside the TRX wheel. My plates bolted to the back of the stock spindles. However, I found that both spindles are slightly different geometry. Very slight, but enough to require me to grind my plates down to fit.

Profile E-mail