Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:38 pm 

Coming soon...only because I randomly happened to find a really good combination of parts here in my shop hoard last night:

D$ Goals:

- keep the stock j-arms, tie rods, ball joints & spindles
- ditch the heavy hub and brake plate (well...store them in a warm, dry place -or- sell them)
- using only off-the-shelf & populous components
- convert to stainless-braided brake lines -OR- use the stock lines
- half the total price of the "only kit on the market" (or even cheaper if you already have the parts)
- requires no mod to the stock spindle
- better performance than drums/shoes
- to outfit one or two of my buggies only -- NOT getting into the "disc brake kit" business
- only non-standard part = caliper mount bracket + (2) metric bolts + (2) 4/144 3+2 10x5 wheels.
- requires basic fab tools & operations (D$DIY)
- doesn't require welding
- reversible (can go back to stock drums/hubs without issue)

-Dan A.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 pm 

Ok you got my attention, what disk and caliper have you found that can be bolted on and fit the wheel bearings? I would like to get disk on the front of mine. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 pm 

Peaked my curiousity too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:46 pm 

Yup you got my attention too.
Lets go, don't be shy, share ----- NOW ---- NOW ---- You probably torched ants when you were a kid didn't you ?? NOW ---

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 pm 

Early trx250 hubs?

Fine, be that way, I won't tell you about my front disc brake swap that uses standard components and modern trx450 hubs/dual piston calipers

I'm interested

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 pm 

Useless post without more info. Lol. I just went long travel the u get factory trx parts.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 am 

YES on the early TRX hubs, specifically 86-87 since they fit the stock Oddy spindle. No secret there. Only catch there is that the stock wheel cannot be used. Have to switch to a wheel with 4/144 pattern.

Still toying with the caliper bracket though. The newer TRX450R calipers require you to hack off a corner & hole of the stock spindle.

So you can pick your poison -- buy a pair of 10x5 3+2 wheels, or, hack your spindles. ITP wheels are as cheap as $80/pair shipped. I do not know the stock offset of the TRX wheel, but some of them look a lot like the stock Oddy wheel

So the cost recipe is...

$60 for the calipers, used (make/model TBD, but they are not TRX)
$12 for new pads
$80 for wheels (unless you can find some used ones on the cheap) -- edited 5/19, was $64 b/c I'm a dumbass, lol
$50 for TRX hubs with rotors (new rotors are $65 if you think you need them)
$20 for the brake lines & splitter, or $0 if you keep the stock lines
$2 for a couple bolts for the caliper
$10 to have tires swapped to new wheels @ tire shop
$15 of steel plate from Lowe's for the brackets
TOTAL COST: ranges from $229-$314 cost depending on your preferences.

In my case, I already have the hubs/rotors, pads, lines, bolts, calipers and steel. So I'm ahead of the game by $170 (it pays to hoard, lol). For $74 I can have front disc brakes with shiny new front wheels.

The Farr kit is $500 + s/h, but allows you to use the stock wheels. Looking at the costs of existing parts and then the cost of the fab'd parts his kit includes, his price is fair. So I'm 100% not knocking his kit at all! :-) I'm just cheap and like to do stuff myself.

IMPO...The disc brakes won't fade (dissipate heat better), have more piston area (50% more in this case), better wet performance, less moment of inertia to counteract since there is no big heavy rotating drum to stop, disc has less pad area but the disc has a clamping force vs an expanding force, no 'adjusting' required with a disc brake, drums are discontinued, and the majority of the braking is generally done by the front brakes anyhow (so as long as your rubber grips!).

I also want to switch to the dual motorcycle master cyl setup for my other buggies. For the cost of the master cyl rebuild kits, I can convert them over to brand-spanking new dual masters & rezzies.

Ok, I have to get to work. Need to get some serious shizzle done today.

Dan A.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:23 pm 

The far kit you CANNOT use stock wheels. Calipers hit. You must use aftermarket Douglass/itp. Douglass does make a 4/144 wheel that is 4+1 offset. Its hat I run on the pilot. As close in aftermarket as you are going to find. They are however spendy. At least $100 per wheel.

Attachments:
2014-05-15 11.25.11.jpg
2014-05-15 11.25.11.jpg [ 44.87 KiB | Viewed 2005 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
The farr kit you CANNOT use stock wheels. Calipers hit. You must use aftermarket Douglass/itp. Douglass does make a 4/144 wheel that is 4+1 offset. Its hat I run on the pilot. As close in aftermarket as you are going to find. They are however spendy. At least $100 per wheel.

For the Pilot or both Oddy & Pilot? Did not know that! Thanks man!!! :-)

Well than why does Farr go to all the trouble & cost to machine custom hubs rather than simply use the TRX hubs????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:29 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
YES on the early TRX hubs, specifically 86-87 since they fit the stock Oddy spindle. No secret there. Only catch there is that the stock wheel cannot be used. Have to switch to a wheel with 4/144 pattern.

Still toying with the caliper bracket though. The newer TRX450R calipers require you to hack off a corner & hole of the stock spindle.

So you can pick your poison -- buy a pair of 10x5 3+2 wheels, or, hack your spindles. ITP T-9 wheels are as cheap as $64/pair shipped. I do not know the stock offset of the TRX wheel, but some of them look a lot like the stock Oddy wheel.

So the cost recipe is...

$60 for the calipers, used (make/model TBD, but they are not TRX)
$12 for new pads
$64 for wheels (unless you can find some used ones on the cheap)
$50 for TRX hubs with rotors (new rotors are $65 if you think you need them)
$20 for the brake lines & splitter, or $0 if you keep the stock lines
$2 for a couple bolts for the caliper
$10 to have tires swapped to new wheels @ tire shop
$15 of steel plate from Lowe's for the brackets
TOTAL COST: ranges from $213-$298 cost depending on your preferences.

In my case, I already have the hubs/rotors, pads, lines, bolts, calipers and steel. So I'm ahead of the game by $170 (it pays to hoard, lol). For $74 I can have front disc brakes with shiny new front wheels.

The Farr kit is $500 + s/h, but allows you to use the stock wheels. Looking at the costs of existing parts and then the cost of the fab'd parts his kit includes, his price is fair. So I'm 100% not knocking his kit at all! :-) I'm just cheap and like to do stuff myself.

IMPO...The disc brakes won't fade (dissipate heat better), have more piston area (50% more in this case), better wet performance, less moment of inertia to counteract since there is no big heavy rotating drum to stop, disc has less pad area but the disc has a clamping force vs an expanding force, no 'adjusting' required with a disc brake, drums are discontinued, and the majority of the braking is generally done by the front brakes anyhow (so as long as your rubber grips!).

I also want to switch to the dual motorcycle master cyl setup for my other buggies. For the cost of the master cyl rebuild kits, I can convert them over to brand-spanking new dual masters & rezzies.

Ok, I have to get to work. Need to get some serious shizzle done today.

Dan A.

Any of you guys got pictures of this setup ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:30 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:
The farr kit you CANNOT use stock wheels. Calipers hit. You must use aftermarket Douglass/itp. Douglass does make a 4/144 wheel that is 4+1 offset. Its hat I run on the pilot. As close in aftermarket as you are going to find. They are however spendy. At least $100 per wheel.

For the Pilot or both Oddy & Pilot? Did not know that! Thanks man!!! :-)

Well than why does Farr go to all the trouble & cost to machine custom hubs rather than simply use the TRX hubs????

Both. I'm not sure on why he uses custom hubs. In am running trx450 sprindles and all on my pilot. With my Yoda suspntion the ball joints are adjustable so I am able to do that. People say they are weak compared to stock spindles but the 670 hasn't killed one yet!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am 

Burned some midnight oil. I've made some card-stock iterations of the caliper bracket and I think I finally nailed it on iteration #6. It worked out well because I had to stay up til 1am on "puke watch" since my daughter is sick, and this was a very quiet activity, lol. Poor kid.

Will likely have to do a very minor bit of "smoothing out" some radii on the stock spindle in order to provide a flat resting place for the bracket. Nothing drastic whatsoever.

With the caliper in place, the radius from the spindle center to the outer edge of the caliper is 4.25". So that's 8.50" diametrically and should have no issues inside a 10" wheel.

Also...I discovered I have a 86-87 TRX spindle/knuckle in my stash. If anyone was wondering, that spindle will not work. The TRX knuckle height is much shorter (height from BJ to BJ).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:09 pm 

You got me thinking here Dan

I just measured my FL350 spindles and it's about 4.4" BJ surface to BJ surface (the other kind of BJ)

A quick measurement on my TRX450 arms shows about 4.1" - I don't have any 250r spindles

Quick skillfully math means that is about a 5-6% increase in BJ angle misalignment per joint

Have you tried to bolt up the spindles and see if they get full range of motion during cycling?

I know the 250r spindles are possibly weaker (although, don't the early ones have bolt on steering arms? Would be a great way to correct the ackerman if needed)

But if so, there is a possible 06+ 450R spindle, caliper / 250x hub combo that would let you keep the original odyssey wheel bolt pattern - no wheel swap needed - maybe, big maybe

I don't know how much additional angle the FL350 BJ's have to give, or how much stress that would put on the linkage geometry, but it never hurts to check. Apparently the pilot ball joints are only using about 60% of their available range

P.S. For everyone that has aluminum wheels, if you are good, you can template and drill out your wheels to the new hole pattern and have swingers :) - save some extra $

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:54 pm 

consol wrote:
You got me thinking here Dan

I just measured my FL350 spindles and it's about 4.4" BJ surface to BJ surface (the other kind of BJ)

A quick measurement on my TRX450 arms shows about 4.1" - I don't have any 250r spindles

Quick skillfully math means that is about a 5-6% increase in BJ angle misalignment per joint

Have you tried to bolt up the spindles and see if they get full range of motion during cycling?

I know the 250r spindles are possibly weaker (although, don't the early ones have bolt on steering arms? Would be a great way to correct the ackerman if needed)

But if so, there is a possible 06+ 450R spindle, caliper / 250x hub combo that would let you keep the original odyssey wheel bolt pattern - no wheel swap needed - maybe, big maybe

I don't know how much additional angle the FL350 BJ's have to give, or how much stress that would put on the linkage geometry, but it never hurts to check. Apparently the pilot ball joints are only using about 60% of their available range

P.S. For everyone that has aluminum wheels, if you are good, you can template and drill out your wheels to the new hole pattern and have swingers :) - save some extra $

I said it "won't work", but maybe I should've said "The 86-87 TRX250R spindle I have is not the same as the FL350R spindle."

I have not tried the one left TRX250R spindle that I have here, simple because I've been using the right j-arms & right stock spindle as my guinea pig (not left side).

No worries here because I'm using the stock FL350R spindles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:40 pm 

Those spindles are definitely two different animals, I was just thinking out loud

Keep grinding away and keep us posted

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 am 

I fab'd one bracket yesterday afternoon out of 3/16" plate (cost $7.99 from Menards and would prob make 1 set of stays). REEEEEALLY wish I had the time & $'s to get my cnc plasma table up & running, because it takes tooooooo long to cut out a small piece with 5-holes in it with a drill press & angle-grinder, lol. But the part turned out pretty nice despite, and fits the spindle perfect. It kinda' looks like an alligator or scorpion, maybe an old pirate key, lol. The radius that fits the profile of the caliper...its 51mm and I only had a 1-3/4" hole saw, so I still need to grind a little off. There's a simple second piece that is nothing more than an offset spacer, but for now I'm just going to use a pair of washers as spacers.

Sorry, no update pics yet. I want to make a pair of stays, mount calipers, bleed, and try them out before pics. If these work, I'm going to outfit all (4) buggies with front disc.

Just have to finish getting my garden in first this week. 22x50 garden with over 60 plants, greenhouse tarp walkways, and auto-timed irrigation plus a pumpkin patch in the back corner of the lot. Kid#2 will be here in August, so I had to make sure the garden required as little weeding as possible. Plus I'm hoping to ship out some FL400 intakes later this week, which takes time as well.

Stay tuned...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:23 am 

consol wrote:

I took a look at this during my earlier-than-normal lunch break today (furnace guy was there). Looks like the full range of motion at full bump to full droop based on max'ed out BJ's...

...stock spindle ~6.3"
...86-87 TRX250R ~6.0"

There's your 5%! :-)

So if you really wanted to simplify the conversion and were willing accept the 0.3" of loss, you could simply buy the TRX250R spindle, hub, and caliper and make the swap. Would need two 4 on 144 wheels and a brake line tee-block, too. Lastly, the TRX setup puts the caliper on the front side of the spindle (whereas the way I'm doing it with the stock spindle puts the caliper to the rear).

ALSO...I picked up a 2" hole saw for the 51mm caliper pocket on the caliper stay bracket. I cut it out real quick today and it fits perfect. Looks like the cut was more like 52mm, but everything bolts up fine. The whole shabang fits nicely inside a 10x5 wheel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 am 

picts picts picts man

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:32 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
consol wrote:

I took a look at this during my earlier-than-normal lunch break today (furnace guy was there). Looks like the full range of motion at full bump to full droop based on max'ed out BJ's...

...stock spindle ~6.3"
...86-87 TRX250R ~6.0"

So if you really wanted to simplify the conversion and were willing accept the 0.3" of loss, you could simply buy the TRX250R spindle, hub, and caliper and make the swap. Would need two 4 on 144 wheels and a brake line tee-block, too. Lastly, the TRX setup puts the caliper on the front side of the spindle (whereas the way I'm doing it with the stock spindle puts the caliper to the rear).

ALSO...I picked up a 2" hole saw for the 51mm caliper pocket on the caliper stay bracket. I cut it out real quick today and it fits perfect. Looks like the cut was more like 52mm, but everything bolts up fine. The whole shabang fits nicely inside a 10x5 wheel.

Awesome, but I can't give up .3"...it would make my balls ans stomach look 5% bigger

Good work

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:20 pm 

consol wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
consol wrote:

...stock spindle ~6.3"
...86-87 TRX250R ~6.0"

Awesome, but I can't give up .3"...it would make my balls and stomach look 5% bigger

Good work

Baaaahahahahahahaa! Its SOOO Friday! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:48 pm 

Sent the DXF files to a local cnc plasma guy today. Hoping to have parts back mid next week. It was simpler to just get a couple sets cnc'd for $50 rather than hack another big bracket + 2 spacer brackets with my angle grinder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:42 am 

you have me curious now. I have a complete 87 trx250r front end sitting on my shelf and a set of hyper beadlocks for them. is it really that simple?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 am 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
The far kit you CANNOT use stock wheels. Calipers hit. You must use aftermarket Douglass/itp. Douglass does make a 4/144 wheel that is 4+1 offset. Its hat I run on the pilot. As close in aftermarket as you are going to find. They are however spendy. At least $100 per wheel.

So that makes going to disc brakes cost 700.00 and FORCES you to run the wrong offset rims LMAO heck for another 200 bux you can install a steering stabelizer to make your steering harder but off set the feed back gained from the wrong offset, mentally you will be fine because you have "disc brakes" :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 am 

ChrisV wrote:
you have me curious now. I have a complete 87 trx250r front end sitting on my shelf and a set of hyper beadlocks for them. is it really that simple?

It might be -- not sure. Once I get the brackets tomorrow, and if the spacers are right, and when I get some wheels, and when I bleed the new lines and calipers...they may work, lol. Still more work ahead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:00 pm 

I guess I can shed a little more light on the idea.

What I've made is the bracket and spacer plates to mount the caliper. There is a large plate in 3/16" steel that bolts to the INSIDE of the spindle/knuckle. There's a lot going on there on that side of the spindle, so I had to design a plate that would not only fit all the features, but also use some existing threaded holes. Then there's a spacer plate that fits between the larger plate and caliper. No mods have to be made to the stock equipment. The larger plate does have to be "dressed" on one side to fit a blend-radius on the back of the spindle, but that's it.

The spacer plate will simply be used like a washer -- not welded. The stiffness is provided by the larger plate. Spacer plate simply locates the caliper in reference to the rotor. I'm not 100% sure on the thickness of the spacer plate, so I had it cut in 3/16" and 1/8" steel. And since the parts are not welded, the left side and right side parts are EXACTLY THE SAME -- just put the small spacer on the other side.

Parts will be here tomorrow. The 4 big plates and 8 small plates (2+ sets) cost me $60, but it could be even cheaper because the cnc guy's minimum job price is $60.

Another hint on the caliper make/model...the threads are 5/16-24 (not metric). ;)

Profile E-mail