Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm 

rmesser

I'll be just in the day use area (parking lot!). I have a Dodge Ram solid black "Night Runner" you can't miss it.
I'll come looking for you in the camping area.

Baz,

Thanks for the compliments. Sometime I think if I had the time I know I could build a wicked.....
By the way modesty is my best quality!!! :shock:

Hoser,

I sold the cage. Extra money is tight with kid in college and me sitting on my butt and I wanted some harnesses....

Not sure what you mean about a box for the back. I have a Polaris "lock and ride" box for the back now. If I had a tig welder then I'd be building a really cool one....but I don't. The rear is a lot more usable after loosing the tubes that came through the middle.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:59 pm 

Tom

Man the cage looks Killer - Great Job....

I really do like the Top and the grab handles - great idea...

So.....

I got this 6x6 that needs a new cage - simple design
Just up across and down with one support tube middle on each side (kinda like the RZR)
and maybe a cross support here or there... (but no ends to mess with)

I can shoot you the dimensions and I'll swing by around June 20 to pick it up.....
Heck I got a friend with a Tig so you wouldn't even have to fully weld it unless you wanted to....

Just shoot me an estimate for materials and labor... ( Thanks Buddy)

:-)

Dennis

Attachments:
my_sidewinder_1_884.jpg
my_sidewinder_1_884.jpg [ 11.19 KiB | Viewed 2669 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 pm 

Update above.....

No problem Dennis. Shoot me some dimensions and tube thickness and I'll figure it up for you.......don't worry, you get the good guy discount. My welds are getting better and they are strong but I couldn't swear that I won't have to touch them up a tad here or there. On the welding it's your call. I only have a 1 3/4" die right now but if you need another size I wouldn't be opposed to getting another one.

Sounds fun.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 pm 

Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm 

Looking great nice work

I been looking at your rear bumper I think you my need to add some more support
because if you get bumped in the rear it may all cave in to the body panels

just a arm chair view :-)

looks awesome keep up the good work

speed

P.s. Hoser we need some RZR Emoticons

Attachments:
File comment: this
t_dscf1014_968A.jpg
t_dscf1014_968A.jpg [ 61.68 KiB | Viewed 2731 times ]
File comment: or this
t_dscf1052_849a.jpg [57.42 KiB]
Downloaded 227 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm 

Front bumper?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
Looking great nice work

I been looking at your rear bumper I think you my need to add some more support
because if you get bumped in the rear it may all cave in to the body panels

just a arm chair view :-)

looks awesome keep up the good work

speed

P.s. Hoser we need some RZR Emoticons

If someone hits me that hard I want the cage/bumper to collapse and absorb the energy. I don't want it transferred to me or the RZR frame. The steel for the whole cage and front bumper cost me under 200 bux. A new RZR frame cost 1000 bux. I have 3 inches between the bumper and rear body parts and they are somewhat flexible. I think I could safely say I have 3 1/2 to 4" of give before something bad happens. That is what I wanted this for....litespeed 5 mph bumpers! That make sense?

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 pm 

hoser wrote:
Front bumper?

I'm keeping on track with finishing the cage first.

It's coming.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 pm 

No I haven't. I will when I start the front bumper. The sand trick will be the first to get a trial run.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:13 pm 

For the bender the best thing I have found is to grease the shoe and make sure the die is dry. You will get a perfect bend every time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:12 pm 

Stumped wrote:
For the bender the best thing I have found is to grease the shoe and make sure the die is dry. You will get a perfect bend every time.

I read that somewhere but seemed really messy so I went with WD-40. I will try the actual grease next time also.

Thanks for the tip....I need them.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 am 

litespeed wrote:
Stumped wrote:

I read that somewhere but seemed really messy so I went with WD-40. I will try the actual grease next time also.

Thanks for the tip....I need them.

Tom

WD-40 is not a lubricant, well its slightly better than water or spit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 am 

crisco shortening or dawn dish soap
will work and cleaner

you can also try bagging it get one of thin Garbage bag

my uncle Gene when working for Yamaha use to fill the tube with parifen wax to bend trumpet horns thin brass tube

http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/ ... pipes.html

speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 pm 

The wax sounds like a lot of work......would not want the wife getting turned on when she seen me start to melt it......

I know...tasteless! LOL

I guess I thought (Famous last words!) WD-40 would be OK....obviously I was wrong again.

Wife might get a bit grouchy if I take her Crisco out to the garage and dip my dirty hand in it...you think?

Reminds me of a joke....

This white guy is in a bar bathroom using a urinal. A black man comes in and starts to use the urinal next to him. The guy notices the black guy has a huge member and says, I'm not gay but I have to ask how did you get such a huge thing? The black guy answers it's an old secret and one he couldn't let out. The white guy begs and says, look at this little thing....I could really use some help. The black guy agrees and says, OK but you have to swear to never, ever tell another soul. The white guy agrees and the black guy tells him that every night they rub lard all over their thing. Night after night and it make them grow....the white guy thanks him and he's off.

About a year later the same two men meet up in the same bathroom. The black guy asks, How's the member....getting huge? The white guy say, No....I think it's actually getting smaller! The black man asks, So tell me exactly what your doing. The white guy says, Every single night for about a year I take a large handful of Crisco and wipe it all over my thing....every single night. The black man chuckles and says, That's your problem.......your using shortening!!!

HBO special coming this fall.....

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:51 pm 

litespeed wrote:
The wax sounds like a lot of work......would not want the wife getting turned on when she seen me start to melt it......

I know...tasteless! LOL

I guess I thought (Famous last words!) WD-40 would be OK....obviously I was wrong again.

Wife might get a bit grouchy if I take her Crisco out to the garage and dip my dirty hand in it...you think?

Reminds me of a joke....

This white guy is in a bar bathroom using a urinal. A black man comes in and starts to use the urinal next to him. The guy notices the black guy has a huge member and says, I'm not gay but I have to ask how did you get such a huge thing? The black guy answers it's an old secret and one he couldn't let out. The white guy begs and says, look at this little thing....I could really use some help. The black guy agrees and says, OK but you have to swear to never, ever tell another soul. The white guy agrees and the black guy tells him that every night they rub lard all over their thing. Night after night and it make them grow....the white guy thanks him and he's off.

About a year later the same two men meet up in the same bathroom. The black guy asks, How's the member....getting huge? The white guy say, No....I think it's actually getting smaller! The black man asks, So tell me exactly what your doing. The white guy says, Every single night for about a year I take a large handful of Crisco and wipe it all over my thing....every single night. The black man chuckles and says, That's your problem.......your using shortening!!!

HBO special coming this fall.....

Tom

LOL

Your not suppose to let the wife see you taking something from the kitchen to the shop, that's like guy stuff 101 haha

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm 

hoser wrote:
LOL

Your not suppose to let the wife see you taking something from the kitchen to the shop, that's like guy stuff 101 haha

Crap, someone needs to tell my wife that!

She's worse than I am, can't tell you how many times I went to use her kitchaide scissors to cut a piece of paper only to find a BIG gouge in the blades that shred the paper...... and she say "oh, I used those to cut some bailing wire in the garden"....... WTF?

And she has NO problems when I rebuild a carburetor on the kitchen table either, weird!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:

And she has NO problems when I rebuild a carburetor on the kitchen table either, weird!

Well I can tell you wife is nothing like that!!!

She is the pickiest woman I have even known..bar none.

Good for you.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am 

Another update today,

I finished the cage, lights and built a front bumper. Everything is done except the front windshield because I haven't decided on a windshield wiper motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I was originally thinking of using a rear wiper motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) from a small suv. The one closest to working that I found was a late model Ford Escape but junk yards don't have them and new they are over 100 bux which is out of the budget for this project. I want something the average "Joe" can afford not some high dollar one off idea. I'm thinking a vacuum replacement style wiper motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) may be the way I go. I can get a 90 degree one with the wiper arm and blade for under 40 dollars. Still thinking on that though......

Also I need to powder coat the whole sha-bang. There is a local powder coater that quoted me right under 400 bux for the cage, roof, back panel, front windshield and bumper. Doesn't sound that bad but never having do this I'm just guessing. He's the only powder coater I have found so far.....apparently there are not many out there???

See the pictures,

Tom

Attachments:
DSCF1084.JPG
DSCF1084.JPG [ 567.53 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
DSCF1085.JPG
DSCF1085.JPG [ 561.19 KiB | Viewed 2546 times ]
DSCF1086.JPG
DSCF1086.JPG [ 533.21 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
DSCF1087.JPG
DSCF1087.JPG [ 526.9 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
File comment: Front bumper and CV guards.
DSCF1090.JPG
DSCF1090.JPG [ 503.67 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
File comment: Back windshield (laminated safety glass!) and 3 brake/turn signal lights.
DSCF1091.JPG
DSCF1091.JPG [ 520.96 KiB | Viewed 2545 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

Save

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:

Save.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 pm 

Updated 4/6/2010

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm 

Upper support for front bumper?

Beef up rest of the frame mounts?

Looks good.

400 bux to paint or 20 bux in rattle can?

Powder coat does sound more impressive hehe

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm 

The upper support on the bumper is through the winch hole. I didn't want to cut off the lower fairing nor did I want some crazy monstrosity going all the way back to the cage mount. I "think" the way it's made if I run into something (or somebody!) the bumper will give till it bottoms out at the upper mounts which go straight in.

Point is I wanted the bumper to give. Most either mount to the radiator supports and if used ruin your radiator and others use the Sherman Tank method and make the bumper the only thing left after a crash. I went for the "expendable" part since I have a whole 2 hours in making it so far.

I like the cost of the rattle can but going through trees/woods eats right through the paint. Powder coat looks better but I sure hate the price. It may come down to hearing some rattling going on.

See if you can tell from the pictures I posted how I did the upper mount. If not you'll just have to come see it.

Tom

Ride this weekend? Supposed to be sunny and 75. Stoner bring that new car up.

Attachments:
File comment: Top view. I have 2-1" tubes going back to a plate mounted to the winch mount area??? Don't know what to call it.
DSCF1092.JPG
DSCF1092.JPG [ 572.31 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]
File comment: Couldn't get a great shot as everything is so tight in there. Side view.
DSCF1094.JPG
DSCF1094.JPG [ 584.39 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]
File comment: Another view.
DSCF1095.JPG
DSCF1095.JPG [ 602.49 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:14 pm 

tom - RZR sure looks alot cleaner then the last time i saw it. I just got around to cleaning the pilot last night. Progress is going well - i give ya a month and you'll have AC in that baby. It was nice meeting you at St. Joe. To bad we didn't get a chance to ride together. Thanks for the help with the repair. i saw you later in the parking lot but you were loading up. Weather was wet Sunday but Monday and Tueasday were great riding days. I'm sure well meet again. Keep the pictures comin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 pm 

rmesser wrote:
tom - RZR sure looks alot cleaner then the last time i saw it. I just got around to cleaning the pilot last night. Progress is going well - i give ya a month and you'll have AC in that baby. It was nice meeting you at St. Joe. To bad we didn't get a chance to ride together. Thanks for the help with the repair. i saw you later in the parking lot but you were loading up. Weather was wet Sunday but Monday and Tueasday were great riding days. I'm sure well meet again. Keep the pictures comin.

It took 45min at the "free" St. Joes wash area and another 1 1/2hrs here at home. Did I mention I hate the mud?

A/C....maybe next year, we'll see. :shock:

Glad we got to meet and hope to see you out on the trails some time.

Tom

Profile E-mail