Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:07 am 

Hackberry Lake OHV Area
http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recrea ... berry.html

The Hackberry Lake Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) area offers over 55,000 acres of rolling stabilized dune lands and cliffs. The area is open for intensive use of motorcycles, sand dune buggies and other OHVs. Trails within the area take advantage of a variety of soils and topographic features, which include many turns and steep hill climbs. Routes go from shallow rocky, loamy soil on low hills to deep alluvial soils with sandy inclusions. The trails travel across small draws and along the bottom of deep arroyos. The area also includes a sand dune complex.

The area is used by the Desert Rough Riders Club for an annual competitive motorcycle event -- the Carlsbad 100 Desert Race -- which traverses more than 44 miles of public land. For more information on this event please visit The New Mexico Desert Racing Club at http://www.nmdrc.com.

Activities
OHVs, camping.

Facilities
None; restrooms and drinking water are not available.

Location / Access
Hackberry Lake OHV Area is about 20 miles northeast of Carlsbad, NM, and can be accessed at a number of locations. To access the most commonly used parking area, follow US 62/180, turn north on SR 360, and travel approximately 5.7 miles and turn east on CR 222. The parking lot is on the north side of the road.

Please note that private property and facilities are intermingled with the Hackberry Lake OHV area. Please remember that this public land is a place of business for livestock grazing operations, oil and gas leaseholders, mining, communication and utility companies. Ride with caution and be alert for trucks and heavy equipment on and off the pavement.

Never been here before.

Here is a Google Earth file so you can zoom in on the area.
Attachment:
Hackberry Lake OHV Area.kmz [1.35 KiB]
Downloaded 124 times

Attachments:
Hackberry Lake OHV Area  New Mexico.jpg
Hackberry Lake OHV Area New Mexico.jpg [ 71.37 KiB | Viewed 17001 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:17 am 

Kermit Texas is right close to Carlsbad. Maybe you can check that area out and let us know how the riding is. Sand dune area looks pretty good!

Chris M

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm 

Phone sux

Attachments:
File comment: 88 degrees four percent humidity
20140416_142252.jpg
20140416_142252.jpg [ 46.73 KiB | Viewed 16983 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 pm 

Hoser, how has the riding been? Any info on the areas you rode?

Thanks,
Chris

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 am 

4% humidity...yeah, that's NM in Spring.

That place looks like the outskirts of every city and town in NM. The outskirts of Las Cruces are littered with trails that seem to go on forever. We just haul the machines out to a random dirt road, unload, and see where the trails take us. Most of the time we are not hassled by anyone.

I heard late last year that some folks were rebuilding the motocross track out at Stahmann Farms, just south of Las Cruces just to the west of the Rio Grande. That place used to attract a lot of riders but I haven't actually gone down there to survey their progress or to see if people are still riding in the area. The area along the river about a quarter mile north of the track is really cool too. River is dry on Google Earth.

Attachment:
Motocross track at Stahmann Farms.kmz [727 Bytes]
Downloaded 181 times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 pm 

Sorry for the delay in the details, great place to ride their is two areas one is a dune area the other is just mostly trails, their is a lot of sand in this area if they had a good fire during one of the driest times of the year and it burned off most the vegetation they could have a really nice dune system in this area, easily as big or bigger than Little Sahara in OK. just need to remove vegetation and a few years of wind action :-)

I rode both areas all the trails are quad wide meaning they were tight for my RZR-S it fit perfect but their is no room for error if you get off your line, LT Pilots will fit just no wide open areas for passing or turning around you would need to run over vegetation to when off trail in most areas.

Both areas have pit toilets and shelters and tables, primitive camping so take everything you need, their is all kinds of traffic in this area its located in the middle of a VERY ACTIVE oil field operation their is tanker trucks hauling crude oil all over the place and by the way they are driving I would say they are being paid by the load not by the hour, the ditches are full of garbage were they must be using as their personal garbage dump so the cabs of their trucks keep clean, they also take more than their share of the road when passing you head on, on the narrow back roads, I have no idea what the boundary are their is no real maps I could find if you follow the trail markers some take you right down the gravel and dirt roads to get from trail section to another assume it must be ok to ride them? nobody seem to care I just stayed out of every bodies way, their is suppose to be a 41 mile race loop on the other side of 222 or 360? but I could not find it their is many miles of trails, if I lived with in 2-4 hrs drive of this place I would be back and might even attend a race weekend to see it and ask if they would allow Pilots and Odysseys, seems to be geared more towards motorcycles than anything I think the cycle clubs takes the lead on all the events.

Most the motorcycle riders in this part of the country must be little kids, women and pussies as most the race track where their was a rough whoop section where MOTORCYCLES really shine and perform their best over all other machines they simply made a trail around the whoops avoiding the rough part of the track so they can keep the sand out of their vagina's and so they didnt get their skirts dirty? I wonder what the motorcycle riders in this area did back in the 70's and 80's when motorcycles had 1/2 the suspension of todays bikes, stayed home and knitted? Never in my life time have I seen motorcycles avoid the rough like these pussies do maybe this is where all the NASCAR drivers come to play offroad? When I get time I will post the video on youtube showing you the race track you can see where the pussies avoid the rough haha

Some pics of the dune area.

Attachments:
Hackberry Lake OHV Area.kmz [78.99 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times
File comment: One of the places where they are filling up the tankers and hauling the crude oil out.
DSCN1576.JPG
DSCN1576.JPG [ 40.86 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
File comment: Plenty of parking for the biggest rigs at both the dunes and the trails area.
DSCN1580.JPG
DSCN1580.JPG [ 32.61 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1581.JPG
DSCN1581.JPG [ 32.95 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1582.JPG
DSCN1582.JPG [ 44.1 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1583.JPG
DSCN1583.JPG [ 44.64 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1584.JPG
DSCN1584.JPG [ 37.83 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1585.JPG
DSCN1585.JPG [ 40.92 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1586.JPG
DSCN1586.JPG [ 38.68 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
DSCN1594.JPG
DSCN1594.JPG [ 51.44 KiB | Viewed 16944 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm 

Looks like you had the place all to your self

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:17 pm 

stix wrote:
Looks like you had the place all to your self

Yes it was during the week a few trucks stopped by the dunes for lunch time for a short while but did not have anything to ride, at the trails area a guy and gal showed up unloaded and took off riding one of them big 2 seat quads, 3 guys on dirt bikes came and rode a few hrs.

Profile E-mail