Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am 

Pulled the Engine out of the Wolfskill Pilot so it can be inspected/hoserized.

I had checked the compression here at home and found it at 170 psi at 500' elevation I will cc the head when I get a chance to see what it actually is, the Engine that goes into my Pilot will have a Speedchaser cool head regardless :-)

I have seen this red thread locker before many times come across my bench, I assume its ATV Racing that uses it since I have seen it so many times, it must be a slow drying thread locker since a lot of times it has that star look where it was flung off when the Engine was started.

I don't see the normal oil behind the star (recoil thing) you usualy find in a Pilot Engine that means the seal is not leaking, someone was inside this Engine not long ago.

Attachment:
Dscn1847.jpg
Dscn1847.jpg [ 57.11 KiB | Viewed 11514 times ]

No real drama on the outside of the Engine other than the mismatched bolt in the side cover, right length just the smaller head, not a big deal I have spares.

Attachment:
Dscn1848.jpg
Dscn1848.jpg [ 56.81 KiB | Viewed 11514 times ]

Nothing abnormal found inside the case, nice and clean inside.

Attachment:
Dscn1861.jpg
Dscn1861.jpg [ 85.59 KiB | Viewed 11514 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1863.JPG
DSCN1863.JPG [ 88.56 KiB | Viewed 11514 times ]

That red thread locker must be the type you might need to heat to get it to release I had a hard time getting the big nut off with the impact.

Attachment:
Dscn1864.jpg
Dscn1864.jpg [ 83.33 KiB | Viewed 11514 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:41 am 

The normal big ass bugger casting flaw left by the factory will be removed when I hoserize the cases increasing and improving oil flow to the the balancer bearings.

Attachments:
Dscn1865.jpg
Dscn1865.jpg [ 75.67 KiB | Viewed 11513 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 am 

No shortage of dust inside the Engine and bearings, the clutch side bearing has the usual signs of rust, moisture gets in the seal I have made it a practice of changing the clutch side seal once per season while I have the clutch off being serviced .

Attachments:
DSCN1866.JPG
DSCN1866.JPG [ 60.96 KiB | Viewed 11511 times ]
DSCN1867.JPG
DSCN1867.JPG [ 80.35 KiB | Viewed 11511 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:54 am 

The head will be lapped to see if its flat then cc'd to see where its at I will hoserize so its safe on 91-93 pump gas and 49cc this will give the user about 165 psi at 500' elevation.

Attachments:
Dscn1849.jpg
Dscn1849.jpg [ 73.5 KiB | Viewed 11511 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am 

Top deck of the cylinder looks funky almost like the studs were never removed and the gasket surface was never lapped to ensure its flat and to remove any residual gasket material.

Attachments:
Dscn1851.jpg
Dscn1851.jpg [ 69.51 KiB | Viewed 11510 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:11 pm 

You can see this is a fresh top end but their still is some scuffing on the cylinder not sure if it was dust being sucked in from the leaking exhaust or a over heating issue the former owner warned me 2x that it was "a fresh top end not broken in yet wait for water temp to reach 160 before you hammer it" I have to assume the FO had a history with this Engine he sounded gun shy.

I will post pictures and details in the Wolfskill LT Pilot viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13976&start=0 at a later date showing the condition of the radiator I would not be surprised at all their was over heating issues I found all kinds of issues with the radiator and fan, one of the wires that goes to the sensors on the radiator was not a tight connection, BOTH the inlet and outlet fittings on the radiator are crushed down, it looks like Forest Gump could not get the radiator hoses off so took a rather large pliers and squeezed the shit out of them until the hoses came off THEN LEFT IT THAT WAY greatly reducing the coolant flow, once the fan was removed I could see about 40% of the air flow was being restricted by DIRT SAND DUST in the cooling fins, you can blow all day long with a compressed air and with a pressure washer trying to clean the radiator out trust me I have tried but after all that you remove it and put it in a tub of hot soapy water you will see the rest of the dirt come out then you need to take something small like a tooth pick to push out all the stuck dirt that will not normally come out.

More pics details later.

Attachments:
DSCN1856.JPG
DSCN1856.JPG [ 56.63 KiB | Viewed 11505 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:45 pm 

I have used the red threadlocker, Loctite and permatex brand. That stuff never dries left in the air. However when I go to pull the bolt that the threadlocker was used for, its dried. The way I understand is that the lack of air will cause it to dry. i also read on the bottle you have to shake the bottle before using. I think that was on the Loctite brand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:58 am 

stix wrote:
I have used the red threadlocker, Loctite and permatex brand. That stuff never dries left in the air. However when I go to pull the bolt that the threadlocker was used for, its dried. The way I understand is that the lack of air will cause it to dry. i also read on the bottle you have to shake the bottle before using. I think that was on the Loctite brand.

Yeah your right come to think of it its the lack of air that makes the stuff cure :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:59 am 

From memory,should'nt that clutch side bearing be a C3 spec/clearance rating?

Profile E-mail