Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 pm 

I removed the transmission from the frame so the lower transmission mount can be repaired, their was no problem removing the trans the stud shafts for the axles even came out easily and were well lubricated, the splines are in great shape.

I will come back and edit this post and add pictures.

Once out I took the trans apart I wanted to see inside and do a full inspection, nothing abnormal found inside, I cleaned up all the parts but did not scrutinize them at this time just a quick look I will look them over in great detial before reinstalling, I wanted to focus on the torque clutch pack measurements and doing the weld repair on the cases first.

The torque clutch parts measured up as follows.

Fiber plates are.
Metal plates are .
Spring free length is.

Updates later.

EDITED.

After the weld repair I inspected all the parts again in the trans and gave it a final cleaning, I double checked all the plate and spring measurements and have to admit I am confused as the 4 metal plates measure .054 thick manual says they should be 0.099 to 0.0106 thick, makes no sense at all to me if you look close at the metal plates you can see some wear on them but it amounts to smoothing the plates out, meaning they are stamped steel plates then have a coating on them like nickel or something (maybe not plated but sure look like it to me) and the plating or coating on the plates has all the high spots worn off like they are really not even broken in yet, by no means do they look like they have .045 + wear on them EVEN the end plates that only wear on one side (only make contact with the fiber clutch on one side) does not look like the coating is worn any more than either side of the other plates that make contact with the fibers on both sides.

Regardless I reinstalled the plates, if and when we come up with replacement steel plates I will order some and change them out, nothing inside the trans told me I should not use them again, when I get caught up on my work I will pull the trans out of that parts Pilot I bought in Las Vegas and go through it and measure the steels in that trans too, I want that trans to be ready to install and use as well.

I replaced the input and both output shaft seals while I had the trans apart, ALL of the seals looked great to me but since I had all the seals changed them anyways, I did not see anything wrong with any of the bearings so reused them.

The splines on the final shaft look good as new :-)

HEY adnoh what are your thoughts on the steel plate thickness?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:42 pm 

Update, I had my son weld up the broken case mount turned out pretty good I had him build it up more than just a repair to act as a gusset and give it more strength, I don't see it breaking again in the future.

Took the trans apart cleaned the cases then give it a quick sand blast to clean up the outer layer of aluminum.

Attachment:
DSCN1880.JPG
DSCN1880.JPG [ 58.64 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Clamped it down so it could not move while being tacked together.

Attachment:
DSCN1883.JPG
DSCN1883.JPG [ 49.94 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1884.JPG
DSCN1884.JPG [ 57.62 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Let the welding begin!
Attachment:
DSCN1885.JPG
DSCN1885.JPG [ 56.82 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1887.JPG
DSCN1887.JPG [ 54.67 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Attachment:
DSCN1890.JPG
DSCN1890.JPG [ 57.35 KiB | Viewed 26843 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:07 pm 

"H", I would say they are a replacement set from another machine. There is a lot of bikes that Honda made that run the same design of plate with the only diff being thickness. One can buy a thicker plate and machine down to a desired thickness to fit there pack based off of available replacement parts and wear on the drive and driven ( the two aluminum pieces inside the trans and part of the pack assembly). The book calls them the CLUTCH CENTER and PRESSURE PLATE. The pressure plate can be bought however the clutch center can not.

I mention these two parts because the wear on these change the poundage upon the pack via the springs installed height.
I inserted your numbers into a work sheet and found right now you at 120.32 lbs based upon stock numbers and NO WEAR on the drive and driven. The work sheet needs this number to be accurate. Based off of wear number I have taken you can be between 105 to 117 lbs of load per spring on the pack. The installed height or installed load need to be with range of the stock spring. If not you could over stress the spring and it will continue to take more set. The big question would be what would be the minimum poundage with out wear the pack can take.

I offer this for thought, not proven just a hacker way of thinking.

Lets look at the dry weight of the machine 600 pounds. leaving out rider and fluids
spring load at 155 pounds each with four springs. 155 x 4 = 620 lbs.
At 120 lbs per spring or 480 pounds the diff is 140 pounds.

I do have more thought on this just not the time. I will try to do more later.

Attachments:
H Wolfskill work sheet.JPG
H Wolfskill work sheet.JPG [ 61.1 KiB | Viewed 26821 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:23 pm 

adnoh wrote:
"H", I would say they are a replacement set from another machine. There is a lot of bikes that Honda made that run the same design of plate with the only diff being thickness. One can buy a thicker plate and machine down to a desired thickness to fit there pack based off of available replacement parts and wear on the drive and driven ( the two aluminum pieces inside the trans and part of the pack assembly). The book calls them the CLUTCH CENTER and PRESSURE PLATE. The pressure plate can be bought however the clutch center can not.

I mention these two parts because the wear on these change the poundage upon the pack via the springs installed height.
I inserted your numbers into a work sheet and found right now you at 120.32 lbs based upon stock numbers and NO WEAR on the drive and driven. The work sheet needs this number to be accurate. Based off of wear number I have taken you can be between 105 to 117 lbs of load per spring on the pack. The installed height or installed load need to be with range of the stock spring. If not you could over stress the spring and it will continue to take more set. The big question would be what would be the minimum poundage with out wear the pack can take.

I offer this for thought, not proven just a hacker way of thinking.

Lets look at the dry weight of the machine 600 pounds. leaving out rider and fluids
spring load at 155 pounds each with four springs. 155 x 4 = 620 lbs.
At 120 lbs per spring or 480 pounds the diff is 140 pounds.

I do have more thought on this just not the time. I will try to do more later.

That would make sense then someone replaced the steels in the past and used some that were from a different application and never verified the thickness of them, I was unaware they came in different thicknesses.

How about I put a spacer under the spring to make up the difference in plate thickness and call it good for now unless you know a part number to get the correct thickness steels?

Let me know when you get your new springs sorted out I still want at least one set.

Thanks for all your work on this toque clutch thing.

Profile E-mail