Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:13 pm 

It's down to the bare frame. So hopefully in the next week or so it will get the Engine mount areas replaced as well as the bracket the Engine bolts to. One side was actually cracked all the way around. The only other problem at the moment I see is the left side upper control arm mount is cracked.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 109.32 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 89.15 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 84.57 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 60.54 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 59.73 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:19 pm 

Another pic

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 49.75 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:40 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
Another pic

Is their any rubber isolation on that Engine mount anywhere?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:48 pm 

hoser wrote:
Rppjr wrote:
Another pic

Is their any rubber isolation on that Engine mount anywhere?

Just the red bushings shown earlier... I feel they were too stiff!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 pm 

No rubberized mount, just Delrin bushings. The other Triple EEE uses pilot Engine mounts.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 47.86 KiB | Viewed 3076 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 29.93 KiB | Viewed 3076 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm 

Those I have only seen used as control arm bushings. The Delrin is very hard. We use that material on street bike frame and swing arm sliders. The asphalt will grind them down but they are very durable. I thought of using pilot mounts but then the trans is hard mounted to the frame. I'm not sure how that would work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:52 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
Those I have only seen used as control arm bushings. The Delrin is very hard. We use that material on street bike frame and swing arm sliders. The asphalt will grind them down but they are very durable. I thought of using pilot mounts but then the trans is hard mounted to the frame. I'm not sure how that would work.

This originality had a 350 ody Engine in it... Aren't the pilot and ody Trans hard mounted?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 pm 

Pretty sure that red crap is polyurethane, not delrin.

Either way, its kinda stiff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:06 pm 

Yep you are right bullnerd, I read the wrong description. But yes the stuff is very stiff. I don't see it giving much.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 pm 

I wonder how tough it would be to replace some of that tube. I bet that some of it is metal fatigued with all that bubble gum welding.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 pm 

Looked online but I can't find any type 2's that are lightened like this one. Anybody have a link or a site? This is the only one that is knackered.
Thanks

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 40.77 KiB | Viewed 3035 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 47.4 KiB | Viewed 3035 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:35 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
Looked online but I can't find any type 2's that are lightened like this one. Anybody have a link or a site? This is the only one that is knackered.
Thanks

Lightened or modified for more angle?

I remember long ago hearing about how they modified the Type II's for more angle but forget all the details, maybe hit the VW sites start with http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/ bet someone their knows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:53 pm 

I signed up on the samba forum will see if they have any answers. most of the current type 2 assemblies I have found are clearanced one way or another. these look to have the material on the outside area removed. I haven't seen any like that except for 930-934 assemblies,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:56 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
I signed up on the samba forum will see if they have any answers. most of the current type 2 assemblies I have found are clearanced one way or another. these look to have the material on the outside area removed. I haven't seen any like that except for 930-934 assemblies,

Send pictures to Jay at Desert Dog Motorsports in Fountain Hills, AZ! Remind him the guy from Texas had the car! I do believe he said these were 930's? He was real familiar with the components put into this car!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:02 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
Thanks

That'll buff out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:20 pm 

That may clean up but the cage is galled up pretty bad. I guess I could look for a new cage and ball bearings and see if the rest will clean up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:07 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
That may clean up but the cage is galled up pretty bad. I guess I could look for a new cage and ball bearings and see if the rest will clean up.

I learned a lot from this site.

http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CV ... ts_101.htm

I have had my best luck with worn/used type 2 CV joint or if you buy new ...some sellers offer a "Polished" CV. I found that new units are often too tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:27 pm 

Yeah that is a great site, I used them for the cv assemblies on the other eee. I have been trying to access it for two days but it kept saying the server was down. I clicked your link and it went straight thru, go figure??? I guess I will check on parts as well, maybe it will clean up and all I need is a new cage and bearings. All the measurements show it as a type 4. I put type 2 in the post above but meant type 4, I have to start writing more stuff down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:33 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
Yeah that is a great site, I used them for the cv assemblies on the other eee. I have been trying to access it for two days but it kept saying the server was down. I clicked your link and it went straight thru, go figure??? I guess I will check on parts as well, maybe it will clean up and all I need is a new cage and bearings. All the measurements show it as a type 4. I put type 2 in the post above but meant type 4, I have to start writing more stuff down.

The site was down for me as well. I tried to post it up last night for you but it would not go through.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:58 pm 

Rppjr wrote:

I was trying to be sarcastic...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 pm 

okay, I thought maybe the cold weather there had got to your head Turbo. it may last longer than a new one though, most everything is made in china and I have hit and miss with parts made there. It looks like I may be getting a type 2 empi, it has 25 degrees of angle where all the type 2 I find only have 17. the ones on this car definitely have more than 17 degrees. Anybody think there will be a problem with 3 lightened ones and one normal? I guess as long as they don't bind it will be okay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:26 pm 

Rppjr wrote:
okay, I thought maybe the cold weather there had got to your head Turbo. it may last longer than a new one though, most everything is made in china and I have hit and miss with parts made there. It looks like I may be getting a type 2 empi, it has 25 degrees of angle where all the type 2 I find only have 17. the ones on this car definitely have more than 17 degrees. Anybody think there will be a problem with 3 lightened ones and one normal? I guess as long as they don't bind it will be okay.

Maybe you can find a machine shop that can duplicate the others?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:35 pm 

looks like you have been busy bob. you do great work look forward to seeing this completed.
whats your plans for the frame. you going to cut out a lot of the cracks and replace. you might find more cracks after a sandblast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:51 am 

Rppjr wrote:

Bob,

Stay away from anything with the word EMPI associated with it. Back in the day they were the premier VW parts supplier but these days they are known for being a cheap Chinese copy company. EMPI translated means CRAP!

As an example I bought an EMPI front suspension beam for my 66 VW bug. The upper shock towers are crooked, the tab welded onto the beam to lock the steering box in place was about 30 degrees off.

The Type 2 boys from the Samba will be your best bet to find good quality CV joints. also ask around in the off road section of the site.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... mpi++joint

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search ... ch_forum=9

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:30 pm 

Thanks Rand for the links, I took hosers advice and got on there forum. They say that the part has been turned in a lathe as they have never seen one like that. Also I should try to polish/clean up the outer cage and by new internals. May have to go to larger diameter balls as well. I asks about mixing a regular one in with the others and was told that shouldn't be a problem if it comes to that. Pretty cool site, I never knew there were so many versions of the VW.
Hey Fully how have you been? I have a lot of friends that make me/the buggies look and run good. I can do the normal stuff. That section of the frame will be replaced. I found one other other crack by the left front upper control arm mount. The guy I give it to will sandblast it and look for more. I have a couple days off at the end of the month so that's when the frame will finally get started. Work has been busy and I found out last Friday I have a kidney stone to pass. Not much fun at the moment. Once I get the frame back most of the other parts are ready for powder cost. Have a list of needed parts as well. My uncle has the other EEE car he trimmed the reinforcement rings on the rim down for me as well as some other stuff. He's good just retired so he works when he wants. Lol.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next