Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Older workers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm 

If I was a company owner or manager here is how I would run my show:
1) I would not hire anyone under 40.
Reason: their skill set is non existent. The older worker is far more skilled most of the time.
2) I would not hire anyone under 40.
Reason: the younger chimps won't show up payday Friday or when the weather is nice. They just don't show up because they went fishing. The older worker asks for time off in advance.
3) I would not hire women PERIOD. (no pun intended).
Reason: they are just a pain in the azz, especially the young ones. Almost every place I have worked in my life you will find that the maintenance crew is male and we are very juvenile in our talk. The talk is always sexual and racist. Its how we have fun working in a very difficult environment which is most times outside in the elements. This juvenile talk can quickly be misinterpreted. I had a shift partner way up in northern Alberta who was fired for sexual harassment. The bad part is the girl started it. I was right there so I know. As for the racist talk, half our crew was color and all different nationalities. I can't even comment here on some of the things said because I don't want to get anyone's nose out of joint. We NEVER had a problem. But that said, we all worked together for many years.
4) Any supervisor who does not bring his crew tim bits once a week is fired. For those of you who don't know what those are -- they are donut holes. The bit they cut out of the center, fry up and sell.
Reason: a happy crew makes more money for the company, that's a fact.
5) Monthly bitch meetings will be held. Each operator would be asked to give ONE and only one problem at their station. Every effort would be made to solve that issue as quick as possible. It may take a while for us to get to it but the operator would get weekly progress reports on it. Retarded requests will be shot down right in the meeting.
Reason: if the operator has a problem the company loses money and that worker has to struggle. If you see someone sweating you better get your stupid boss azz over there and find out why. If a guy is sweating the company is losing money because something is broken and not right -- guaranteed.
6) I would not hire anyone under 40.
Reason: At the last place I worked we had a senior crew. Our oldest guy was old man Dave. He was 74. Dave had one short leg (caused by an industrial accident at some other place years ago) and a few medical issues. Dave and I were casuals which means we had no union protection and the company could fire our behinds anytime they wanted -- they never did. In fact they hired me back 3 times after I quit to try a sexier job LOL. Dave did not have to work because he had money. He said he worked because he liked the crew, company and the social element. The key here is that he showed up every weekend and did a good job. He never missed a day except when he had to get his gall bladder out. Then he showed up again. Older workers are reliable.
7) The union trouble maker. The guy with the big mouth is NOT a union trouble maker.
Reason: the guy with the big mouth is telling you everything that is wrong with the place. All you have to do is say "tell me more" and the guy will yap yap yap his face off all day. You then cherry pick all the issues and try to solve them one at a time. Company will be rolling in cash soon.

8) All non diesel machines will run AVGAS.
Reason: because I said and I'm the boss.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Older workers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:51 pm 

Quote: “8) All non diesel machines will run AVGAS.
Reason: because I said and I'm the boss.”

While the first part was funny (and holds a lot of truth), this was where I laughed...

Preach on, CO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:02 pm 

I don’t agree with all those statements. I’m 31, have great work ethic, I’m just as knowledgeable as many senior employees and have surpassed many of them in my career. Now I get paid to go on fishing trips with clients. I have worked in unions and non union companies and preferred non union anyday. I found that the union limited my potential and pay scale. Not a place for for someone that is a go-getter and trying to better themselves, man or woman. I couldn’t stand listening to the union dope (troublemaker) Bitch all the time, nothing worse than a disgruntle employee that is “protected”. They bitch all day, don’t do shit, and get paid the same as me. This may not be the case for everyone but I am speaking of my personal experience.

The age thing is only relative to the job. If the job is some kind of trade work than sure, a young buck can’t trump 40years of hands on experience. How many of the older guys you worked with could pick up a computer and write software, program servers, and create webpages?

I’m with you on the donut holes though. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm 

CurtisR401 wrote:
I don’t agree with all those statements. I’m 31, have great work ethic, I’m just as knowledgeable as many senior employees and have surpassed many of them in my career. Now I get paid to go on fishing trips with clients. I have worked in unions and non union companies and preferred non union anyday. I found that the union limited my potential and pay scale. Not a place for for someone that is a go-getter and trying to better themselves, man or woman. I couldn’t stand listening to the union dope (troublemaker) Bitch all the time, nothing worse than a disgruntle employee that is “protected”. They bitch all day, don’t do shit, and get paid the same as me. This may not be the case for everyone but I am speaking of my personal experience.

The age thing is only relative to the job. If the job is some kind of trade work than sure, a young buck can’t trump 40years of hands on experience. How many of the older guys you worked with could pick up a computer and write software, program servers, and create webpages?

Actually I gota give a thumbs up to some of that statement because of the truths.
I to have worked both union and non union but I chose union because I have seen companies advance retards because he was nailing the managers daughter, and daddy wanted baby to have an executive. This dummy was to stupid to do an entry level job but they made him a supervisor.
Yup on the protected, useless union trouble maker. I have seen that too.
Yup on the locked pay scale. Agree.
I have also seen in several places the company (union worker) azz kisser moved up because he did not lock out (to speed things up) and when he got caught they just sweep it under the rug. That's ok though because he actually got life altering injuries when he was squeezed (crushed) by the machines hydraulics because he did not lock it out. Only one of the examples I have seen in my life.

My comments were more general in this post.
In general that's what I have noticed in my life. Older workers worth more, women trouble and company management not assessing complaints as a possible money maker.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 pm 

Well put Curtis.

Avgas...lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 am 

i don't agree at all with the under 40 thing, wow is all i can say to that, I'm hoping it was a joke. every work field is different and requires different skills, and sometimes these skills physically and mentally can no be done by older people. good luck in finding a 74 year old underground hard rock miner, running a stoper, jackleg or plugger for 12 hours a day 14 days in a row. does a 70 year old mechanic understand all the new technology in the cars and trucks today, probably not. would a 20-30 year old I'm gonna say yes. that 70 year old might be able to rebuild and Engine, trans or diff better. as far as people being reliable, everyone misses a day of work now and then, when i worked up north in the arctic, i never missed a day in 5 years, until i hurt my back, i spent 15 years mining, i bet i can count on one hand how many time i abused a sick day, 3 years oil rigging, never missed a shift. started rigging at age 20, mining at at age 24.
judging someone because of there age, I'm sorry but that the stupidest thing i have heard. i know guys that started mining at 18 retired at 65, some were good miners, others didn't do a dam thing were just there for the ride and the pay check.

and yes i am still under 40. grew up on a farm, been working and driving since a very very young age.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 am 

fully wrote:
i don't agree at all with the under 40 thing, wow is all i can say to that, I'm hoping it was a joke. every work field is different and requires different skills, and sometimes these skills physically and mentally can no be done by older people. good luck in finding a 74 year old underground hard rock miner, running a stoper, jackleg or plugger for 12 hours a day 14 days in a row. does a 70 year old mechanic understand all the new technology in the cars and trucks today, probably not. would a 20-30 year old I'm gonna say yes. that 70 year old might be able to rebuild and Engine, trans or diff better. as far as people being reliable, everyone misses a day of work now and then, when i worked up north in the arctic, i never missed a day in 5 years, until i hurt my back, i spent 15 years mining, i bet i can count on one hand how many time i abused a sick day, 3 years oil rigging, never missed a shift. started rigging at age 20, mining at at age 24.
judging someone because of there age, I'm sorry but that the stupidest thing i have heard. i know guys that started mining at 18 retired at 65, some were good miners, others didn't do a dam thing were just there for the ride and the pay check.

and yes i am still under 40. grew up on a farm, been working and driving since a very very young age.

Nope it was not a joke.
Yes you and CurtisR401 are right, it is industry specific.
A high school kid will bury my azz on computer stuff. I am way to stupid for that. All I can do is cut and paste. With regards to long hours of bull work then ya I can't do that anymore either. I to can count on one hand the number of days I have missed in my entire work life.
I guess I did not explain myself right. I should of said jobs that require mechanical skill sets or critical thinking. I bet the older worker is just as good at fixing the new stuff as the old because he would of learned at the same time as the young buck. As things progress so do you. I have seen this stuff with my own eyes as apprentices came through the shops I have worked in.

Edit: Your a farm boy and therefore don't count. Your a different people with a different up bringing and values. There are exceptions to my hiring policies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:13 am 

CurtisR401 wrote:

I agree with you Curtis 100% on the Union non Union work ethic. I too was in the union and non union. No comparison. Union workers are robots. Extremely difficult to get higher pay. I was a foreman so I got paid what I negotiated, but the apprentices and journeyman below me were all oaid the same no matter how hard they worked. I didn't last long in the Union. Couldn't stand being a robot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
I have seen companies advance retards because he was nailing the managers daughter, and daddy wanted baby to have an executive. This dummy was to stupid to do an entry level job but they made him a supervisor.

I can understand that but unfortunately that's the way it goes. Some people are born with trust funds and never have to work at all. In today's day and age all you got is your own skills set and you have to set yourself apart from the rest. My boss, the owner of the company just hired his son last July. I'm no idiot, he will take over the company one day, he will not have the experience and knowledge of myself but that's the way it goes. I however will never work for him because I will own my own business by that point.

Back to the older workers...
Let me start by saying I prefer to work with the older guys any day of the week. Most of my career I have done just that, usually 25+ years between us. One thing I have come to notice is that many (not all) older workers are set in their ways and are unwilling to learn the new stuff. They are on the tail end of their career and can see retirement around the corner. They have repaired / installed things the same way for 40 years so why should they change now? While I am a sponge, soaking in as much information as they are willing to give me, questioning things I don't understand, educating myself on the new stuff any way I can.

Profile E-mail