Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm 

OK Guys.....

I have an 2 channel amp that I want to use to drive two 6x9's and a sub woofer.

The dilemma is I only have two wires running to the area I will have these speakers so I will have to run the speakers in a tri mode setup.

I know I can run the set up like this.....

Left side positive and negative wires to the left 6x9.
Right ride positive and negative wires to the right 6x9.

Right side positive from the right 6x9 to the positive of the sub.
Left side negative from the left 6x9 to the negative of the sub.

Now I was told that I should use a crossover for each channel to separate the bass and tweeter signal. If I use two 2-way crossovers, do I wire them in the aforementioned fashion?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am 

Wire it the same as above. Be careful Rand subwoofers draw a lot of power and can overheat the amp. Some amps do have electronic thermal protection that will shut it off and reboot when it cools down. And remember "if its too loud you are too old." :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:10 am 

You can wire the set up as stated, but I don't recommend as you will never be able to get the system to sound its best. Wiring this way will not let you seperate your lows, mids, and highs! You will be pushing all 3 sounds out of each speaker

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 am 

Pilot bird wrote:
You can wire the set up as stated, but I don't recommend as you will never be able to get the system to sound its best. Wiring this way will not let you seperate your lows, mids, and highs! You will be pushing all 3 sounds out of each speaker

That's why I'm considering using a crossovers for each side. The question is would it still be bridged running the sub using the positive sub connection on the right side of the crossover and the negative side of the left crossover?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 pm 

lot of variables . do you have the sub amp and 6x9s ? if so what is impedance of each , what is the maker of each and what wattage is the amp 6x9s and sub rated at o yea how loud you want to go :shock: :-) . You want a glass thumper mirror rattler or a nice mellow tone with deep rich bass. look at the kicker kx2 something like that might work it would let you get youre lines split up anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 am 

Randman wrote:
Pilot bird wrote:

That's why I'm considering using a crossovers for each side. The question is would it still be bridged running the sub using the positive sub connection on the right side of the crossover and the negative side of the left crossover?

Rand

Will you kindly provide pics of the amp and crossovers if you have them?
I am pretty sure that you can wire the sub to the crossovers like you stated above, but depending on the crossover you may not be able to bridge the sub. You might end up frying the crossovers or the amp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 am 

I don't have any crossovers yet. If were to get any, I would purchase a pair of these. Here are the amp and crossover specifications.

Amplifier Specifications:
2 x 100 Watts @ 4 OHMS
2 x 125 Watts Max @ 2 OHM.
1 x 250 Watts Max @ 4 OHMS

Crossover Specifications:

Audiopipe 4 ohm crossover
Frequency ranges:
Midrange - 500HZ-3.5KHZ
Tweeter - 4.5KHZ-20KHZ
200 watts RMS/400 watts peak
2-way passive crossover network

Rand

Attachments:
Sony Explod 250.jpg
Sony Explod 250.jpg [ 64.31 KiB | Viewed 2677 times ]
Audio Pipe Crossover.JPG
Audio Pipe Crossover.JPG [ 61.16 KiB | Viewed 2677 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:42 pm 

forget the passive go with the kx it will work better. Did you look at it? its on kickers site. That way it is crossed over before it hits the amp. you would have to get a amp for sub. or use that amp for the sub bridged and then have a smaller one for the 6x9. Are they just woofers? What are the 6x9 ? If you havent bought youre sub yet go with the double d an single 8 in hits hard as hell in a vented box and will give you deep rich smooth bass. And hard to burn up . Also what is impedance of 6x9 do you have those? A really good site is the 12 volt .com might help you out some.
If you were a little closer I would come help out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm 

My original idea was to just use the wiring I have and keep it as cheap as possible. If I could find a tri-way crossover I would just use the system I have now but they are very rare more so than Ody parts!

I've decided to pull new wire and then go with an amplified sub possibly a bass tube.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:04 am 

In this way, you will get the amalgmation of sound. The crossover would be the best available option for you.

Profile E-mail