Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broadcast Wifi 1 Mile?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:53 am 

Anybody here have any experience with broadcasting Wifi long distance?

I want to broadcast our internet connection for about 1 mile.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 am 

I work in technology sales. Do you just want to broadcast the signal, or transmit the wifi signal to another building some distance away? PM me with more details, if I can't help I'll get more info from one of my network engineers for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:47 pm 

I cant help but would love to know what solution you arrive at and how well it works.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 pm 

I use a pole mounted EnGenius ENH202 on the barn unobstructed 5000 ft range isnt out of the question. A directional antenna would help to focus the range.
I also have an ENS1750 I use at the motel more power but in urban landscape so range is less.
Only complaint i have is the older ones use a proprietary POE(power over ethernet) adapter I think the newer ones are more universal
https://www.engeniustech.com/category/p ... utdoor-ap/
Amazon or Newegg has them starting around $70
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm 

mikey1234 wrote:
I use a pole mounted EnGenius ENH202 on the barn unobstructed 5000 ft range isnt out of the question. A directional antenna would help to focus the range.
I also have an ENS1750 I use at the motel more power but in urban landscape so range is less.
Only complaint i have is the older ones use a proprietary POE(power over ethernet) adapter I think the newer ones are more universal
https://www.engeniustech.com/category/p ... utdoor-ap/
Amazon or Newegg has them starting around $70
Mike

I am looking at the ENS1750 instructions https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf I am either confused or am I missing something you hook this to your computer and not into your router, if I have my computer hooked to my router with the lan cable how do I plug the ENS1750 into my computer and configure there is only one LAN port on the computer?

Maybe I am asking the wrong question or looking for the wrong thing, here is what I want to do, my son bought a house about 3/4 mile away their is a clear line of site, I want to extend my wifi range to his house, my attraction to the ENS1750 is the 5G speeds I am currently using a Netgear R7000 router http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... R7000.aspx I just assumed I needed a out door antenna thing to hook to the router so it can extend its range?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 pm 

H - here are my thoughts. The ENS1750 will have a default IP address. Let's say 192.168.4.1. I would connect it to a small switch as well as connect my PC to the same switch and change the NIC on my PC to the same network. 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.0. You can then go to a browser and type the IP address of the ENS1750. You should get a configuration page. You may need a default password. It should be in the instructions. You can then configure the device resetting the password, changing the IP address to work with you network. I recommend a static IP address. Perhaps set it up as a bridge to extend your network to your son. Once configured you can set your PC back to dynamic IP address and plug the pic and ENS1750 back into your router. You should now have the ENS1750 sending a signal. Now go to your sons house and do the same on his end with a PC, small switch, and ENS1750. You can add a wireless router to the switch at your sons house if he wants wireless. The ENS 1750s will just extend you network, wirelessly to your small switch at you sons house. Think of it as a long cable, but the antennas have to be configured to function. You may want to consider power over Ethernet so you do not have to mess with AC power. I'm not sure what I described is exactly the design you want , but it should give you some ideas. Make sure you update the firmware and set your security. My recommendation is securing by MAC address. Only allowing the MAC address of one antenna to connect to the other antenna and vis versa. I'm not familiar with all the details of Enguinus products, but hope the concept helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 am 

rmesser is correct you want a bridge I use mine as an AP. you want EnGenius N-ENH500 Kit(2 x ENH500) N300 Business-Class, Long Range 5GHz Wireless Bridge/Access Point. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6833168114 That setup has the security you want for a bridge plus it will interfere less with your local wi-fi as it uses the 5ghz band. On your end of the setup you just plug into your LAN on his end you would need another router and the radio on his end becomes the WAN. rmesser explained it perfectly these 2 radios replace the wire between you and your son.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:31 pm 

rmesser wrote:
H - here are my thoughts. The ENS1750 will have a default IP address. Let's say 192.168.4.1. I would connect it to a small switch as well as connect my PC to the same switch and change the NIC on my PC to the same network. 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.0. You can then go to a browser and type the IP address of the ENS1750. You should get a configuration page. You may need a default password. It should be in the instructions. You can then configure the device resetting the password, changing the IP address to work with you network. I recommend a static IP address. Perhaps set it up as a bridge to extend your network to your son. Once configured you can set your PC back to dynamic IP address and plug the pic and ENS1750 back into your router. You should now have the ENS1750 sending a signal. Now go to your sons house and do the same on his end with a PC, small switch, and ENS1750. You can add a wireless router to the switch at your sons house if he wants wireless. The ENS 1750s will just extend you network, wirelessly to your small switch at you sons house. Think of it as a long cable, but the antennas have to be configured to function. You may want to consider power over Ethernet so you do not have to mess with AC power. I'm not sure what I described is exactly the design you want , but it should give you some ideas. Make sure you update the firmware and set your security. My recommendation is securing by MAC address. Only allowing the MAC address of one antenna to connect to the other antenna and vis versa. I'm not familiar with all the details of Enguinus products, but hope the concept helps.

Thanks for the input this is all getting complicated I just assumed their was a antenna I could plug into my router and point it towards my kids house and extend the range of my router he would get the same speed and service he is getting here at home, I understand the connection quality will suffer when its raining and or snowing. We want to use the most reliable method and maintain the best connection and speeds as possible.

Speedtest.net says 36mbps down and 12mbps up suppose to be 100Mbps Download / 10Mbps Upload but we never see close to the 100mbps down they advertise but the connection meets all our streaming and downloading expectations, we choose the 100Mbps Download / 10Mbps Upload package because it gives us 999GB per month data.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:01 pm 

mikey1234 wrote:
rmesser is correct you want a bridge I use mine as an AP. you want EnGenius N-ENH500 Kit(2 x ENH500) N300 Business-Class, Long Range 5GHz Wireless Bridge/Access Point. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6833168114 That setup has the security you want for a bridge plus it will interfere less with your local wi-fi as it uses the 5ghz band. On your end of the setup you just plug into your LAN on his end you would need another router and the radio on his end becomes the WAN. rmesser explained it perfectly these 2 radios replace the wire between you and your son.
Mike

This sounds like what I am looking for will I need network cables to run from my router to the ENH500 then from the ENH500 at the kids house to his router, if so any special cable required I will have to measure up the lengths..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am 

On my install very little of the cable is exposed as the radios are under the eaves of the building so I used regular cat5. They do make an outdoor rated cat cable. Personally I would use a piece of conduit to protect the exposed section of cable from weather where it runs up the pole or whatever, the RJ connector is inverted behind the radio and under a little cover so its protected there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:38 pm 

Its not that complicated, but you cant just buy on and plug it in. It has to be configured for you network and you must ensure it is secure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 pm 

Well the N-ENH500 arrived today it does not come with cables and the cables I ordered have not shipped yet so I decided I would hook up and try the system inside while waiting on the right length cables to arrive.

Tried to follow instructions found in the manual https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf
I really do not understand what instructions specifically I need to use just way too many options and way too confusing.

Currently trying to get some help on their forums.

When I type in the 192.168.1.1 it takes me to my router not to the ENH500 it seems EnGenius decided it was Genius to use the same ip address as my router rather than assign something random nobody else would be likely to use like 292.168.1.1 OR 792.168.1.1 OR even 192.168.1.999 so now I wait for tech assistance I find a few videos on youtube but I think the videos assume you been to the EnGenius college of networking and gloss over all the details needed to replicate the procedure at home.

I would like to meet the person who thought this would be useful https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... 00_QIG.pdf they actually printed that and included it in the box.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 am 

Pulling for you. I am very glad a regular guy (you) has decided to do this. I will keep following the thread for the layperson description of how to set it all up because I need the exact same here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 pm 

John l wrote:
Pulling for you. I am very glad a regular guy (you) has decided to do this. I will keep following the thread for the layperson description of how to set it all up because I need the exact same here.

UPDATE
IMO the EnGenuis tech support sucks 23 hours after creating a topic in their forums and sending an email requesting tech support and not getting any replies as a last resort before boxing these things up and shipping them back I decided to call the tech support number.

I hate dealing with anybody over the phone these days mostly because of the automated phone systems, EnGenus is no different the phone rang and rang finally I was greeted by the phone automation system and it took a good 3-5 minutes of playing with the automated phone system before I got to talk to a human in a land FAR FAR AWAY using some 3rd world phone system with a intermittent echo and plenty of background noises that gave me illusions of someone conducting tech support whilst driving a cab or doing some other part time job the whole time they were trying to sort out my problems.

The lady on the phone (I think) walked me through the setup step by step I followed each step and we got the INITIAL SETUP configured, I have no idea what we done different from the printed instructions to get connected to the device all I know is it now works, its doubtful I could duplicate the initial setup again myself using the instructions provided, I had spent about 6 hrs trying before and it never worked.

I am no networking expert but I think if at the factory EnGenius would have configured their products initial internal addresses to something like 192.500.300.100 from the factory I could have plugged the EnGenius product into my router and entered the address 192.500.300.100 into my web browser and accessed the EnGenius internal setup in seconds and skipped right over that 6 hrs of pulling my hair out trying to follow instructions that make no sense, 23 hrs of no email or forums support, EnGunius decided it was much better to default their products to the same address as MOST routers 192.168.1.1 instead, I spent about an hour on the phone with the tech support not letting her hang up until I was 100% sure it was working and whilst I took LOTS of notes I might need for future trouble shooting.

So far the hardest part was getting past step 2 and 3 in these instructions https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... 00_QIG.pdf I would suggest calling and doing it over the phone like I did because I have yet to find in the instructions https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf the things she had me doing over the phone, I think everything we did was covered in the 88 page manual but I also think she was skipping around.

As part of the setup we changed each devices static IP addresses to
192.168.xx.xx ENH500 EnGenius #1 My House
192.168.xx.xx ENH500 EnGenius #2 Kids House
So now to access each device setup menu I just open a browser and enter the IP address 192.168.xx.xx to access and make changes. I also went into my Router and assigned each ENH500 device the static IP addresses listed above so when the power goes out and the whole system reboots the two ENH500's get that same IP address and everything works. I also assigned a static IP address to my sons Router.

Since I choose to setup this system as a "Bridge" one device is configured as a "Access Point" (My House) and the other is configured as a "Station" (Kids House)

I plugged the "Access Point" (My House) into the back of my router, then I took the "Station" (Kids House) and plugged it into his router then verified everything is working, everything seems to work setting in one room each ENH500 looking at each other, as soon as I get the cables needed I will mount the ENH500's outside (One here one on the kids house) and see how it performs long distance.

The two ENH500's are using the 5ghz channel for the bridge on the other end you still can use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz from the other router there is all kinds of options and configurations for the ENH500 give the manual a read https://www.engeniustech.com/wp-content ... Manual.pdf

I will update again once I finish the install.

Next will be a Raspberry Pi security home automation project to use over the Lan to monitor both places.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm 

Well at least it works. So much for the simplest of solutions though. Are you or were you able to setup some kind of security to keep any others in the area from swiping your connection?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm 

I recommend securing by MAC. If the MAC is not in the approved list thes device does not connect. Simple and easy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 pm 

John l wrote:
Well at least it works. So much for the simplest of solutions though. Are you or were you able to setup some kind of security to keep any others in the area from swiping your connection?

The solution was pretty simple it was just the initial configuration snafu that created the drama.

Security YES, a strong password it required to access the system every step of the way including the ENH500's, both routers also have strong passwords, all the network hardware has current Firmware installed. I discussed this in detail with the EnGenius people even the factory default admin passwords were changed, on the EnGenius equipment I also changed the routers factory passwords long ago. That said some hacker probably already owns my whole network lmao.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:02 pm 

rmesser wrote:
I recommend securing by MAC. If the MAC is not in the approved list the device does not connect. Simple and easy.

I will have to look into this I think the two ENH500's will only talk to each other if they validate the MAC address of the second ENH500.

Profile E-mail