Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:07 am 

My son bought a house in Colorado,,His first house and I'm going to help him move in and do anything I can to help,painting repairs ect. It's on the top of a mountain ( Owl Mountian I believe ) at 8650' elevation and seems to over look everything. Guess I may be able to breathe up there.
28 years ago he was adopted when I lived in PA by a family living in New York ( I never had any other kids) About a year and a half ago he contacted me and we've spent a few days together and text each other all the time but this is the first time we will have a good amount of time to really get to know each other. Needless to say I'm excited and nervous now to book my flight.

I'm going for two weeks flying out tomorrow , simple enough.
Now I haven't flown in 11 years.
To my surprise they charge u 25$ to check one bag up to 60lbs. That's BS but that's Ok,that's cheaper then I can ship it so ,,whatever I accept that.
I go to select my seat and unless I want to sit in a middle seat at the back of the plane I have to select one of there seats you must pay extra for (this is a 3 hr flight) if you want to sit in the front seating section it 54$. Middle section is 26$ unless you want to be near an emergency exit then it's back up to 54$ To be near them. I paid the 26$ to not have people on both sides of me.
That was for my 3hr flight from Charlotte to Denver. My one hour flight from Tally to Charlotte seat costs are 11$ to 26$,,,,, at this point I was just dumbfounded (Pissed Off) So there was one window seat open that was actually included with the price of my ticket but when I go to book it's gone,(why wouldn't it be)
All the 11$ seats are sold out. All seats included with you're ticket price (550.00$) are gone. There are about 20 pay seats left but I'll hit my hand with a hammer over and over before I dish out 26$ For a seat on a small plane for only an hour flight so I guess they will figure out where to put me when I get there.
I only flew American Airlines because there flight times fit my schedule better so I can bitch but it was my choice,,,,still stings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 am 

Welcome to modern day flying Ed. My wife and I are frequent fliers, we are used to it. I can remember when flying used to be a lot more expensive than it is today though so it doesn't frustrate me too much. Once you get used to the game you learn how to manipulate it to your benefit. It used to be you drove because flying was way too expensive. Now that flying is more palatable it's a more viable option.

I never met my biological father until after I was 18. All I can say is there is something about blood that is ingrained in us. My father and I have a fantastic relationship today. Same as you and your son we talk all the time. Have a great time getting to know your son.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:24 am 

Thanks. That's really cool you got to know ur dad. I too was adopted but never was able to find my birth parents so I've been on both sides of the coin so to say. I appreciate the support.

I can see the benefits of pricing the way they do,only pay for what u need and yes flying would be cheaper then my gas cost or about the same. As you see I don't fly enough to learn the ins and outs and what's another 50$ in the big picture there's just some things that make me do a double take.
Beats the heck out of walking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 am 

For personal stuff, I only fly Delta or Southwest anymore. They're consistent and I rarely have a problem. Not the cheapest but I get a window or aisle seat, no haggling with fees (except for extra baggage), and the coach seats are big enough for a 6'2" 200# man without my legs cramping up. For work, we always fly Delta in the lower 48. The Delta McNamera terminal in Detroit is also pretty easy to get in/out of, parking garage right there, etc.

AA sucks. Always has IMO.

Flying through Philly should be avoided at all costs as well.

Hell, I'd box myself and ship me USPS Priority before I'd fly AA through Philly, lol.

The cheaper/smaller airlines have older equipment, newer pilots, more delays and trashy customers. Like Spirit Airlines....OMFG...you think you're getting charged for too much at AA, go ahead and take Spirit once! They even charge you to print your ticket!! LMAO! Leg room is okay if you're 4'6" and 75#. Notorious for delays. Crappiest terminals with overpriced crap vending food. And some of the most rude trashy dumb people I've ever seen during a flight were on my Spirit flights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 pm 

Flying coach SUCKS! But Dune is correct, it used to be way worse years ago regarding cost. I fly a few times each year and I just dread it. If you are traveling alone.. keep your ears open at the gates. They overbook all the time. I was once offered double my fare (in United air credit) and the cost of dinner and a nights hotel stay in LA to give up my seat. I happened to be by myself that time and took them up on it after waiting for the ultimate deal. They did stick me with a layover flight that cost me a couple hours but it was free at that point so I didn't care.

Best to you and your son. Enjoy your trip!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 pm 

Had two awesome weeks ,the view was 360 and went on for ever. Had a mother moose and a calf walk right up to the house and even licked the salt off of my sons truck. So here I am and now I'm on my way home. Been sitting on the runway for two hours now. They said someone filled the wrong fuel tank and now they have to drain it and rebalance the plane. Was to arrive home 7pm tonight and now it's gonna be 12:30.
Just to reiterate American Airlines sucks.
There telling me they fueled up the plane So fuc$ing what. Still gonna have to sit in Charlotte over 5 hours. F$&@/:s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 am 

All airlines have unforseen issues. Glad you had a great time with your son. Something about our genes that make us love our own no matter what.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 am 

Hey I made it home so the airlines did there job. It was frustrating so I was venting. I know enough to not vent on the airplane. The good part was I had all three seats to myself so I kicked off my boots and put my feet up. That was nice.
So leaving Tallahassee I went through the teleporter looking thing at security and I guess I looked suspicious so they had to pat me down. After patting me down they swabbed my hands with a small paper tab which I assume was for testing for explosives or maybe gun powder. Then the TSA agent swabbed his hands with it. Anyone have any idea what that is all about?
So I get to my sons house and open my bag and there is a flyer in my bag letting me know TSA searched it. We laughed our asses off. I never travel light. My son asked me "Who brings sand to the beach?" I replied " I do ". They searched my shit and didn't find my two Oz of "sand".
Got to spend 7 days with his adoptive parents who I met before because it was an open adoption and to my surprise we all got along really good which is saying a lot because I can't even stand my family or friends for more then a few days at a time.
Guess this journey is over and I appreciate the support you guys have shown me.
Thanks Edd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:07 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Hey I made it home so the airlines did there job. It was frustrating so I was venting. I know enough to not vent on the airplane. The good part was I had all three seats to myself so I kicked off my boots and put my feet up. That was nice.
So leaving Tallahassee I went through the teleporter looking thing at security and I guess I looked suspicious so they had to pat me down. After patting me down they swabbed my hands with a small paper tab which I assume was for testing for explosives or maybe gun powder. Then the TSA agent swabbed his hands with it. Anyone have any idea what that is all about?
So I get to my sons house and open my bag and there is a flyer in my bag letting me know TSA searched it. We laughed our asses off. I never travel light. My son asked me "Who brings sand to the beach?" I replied " I do ". They searched my shit and didn't find my two Oz of "sand".
Got to spend 7 days with his adoptive parents who I met before because it was an open adoption and to my surprise we all got along really good which is saying a lot because I can't even stand my family or friends for more then a few days at a time.
Guess this journey is over and I appreciate the support you guys have shown me.
Thanks Edd

Finally some good news in the world.
It's nice when something in our lives finally works out for us. That don't happen very often and has to be remembered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:36 am 

So it only seemed fitting I tie up this post. Nothing worse than watching a build and the member disappears.

As mentioned above I was adopted also. Bought a 23 and me DNA test. It sat around a few months before I even opened it. I did the test and sent it off. A couple weeks latter I received the results.
Wow turns out my major hits were for German,Italian with smaller segments of irosh,british,Spanish region ect.
Turns out I had 2k genetic matches just on 23 and me site,I'm told ancestry dot Com has way more members so I'm waiting in those results any day now.
I peppered to write my genetic relatives and explained who I was and that I was looking for my birth mother. All I had was a name and birthdate for her.
I got lots of responses but no direct information. I was then contacted by a 3rd cousin who offered to help me. He has found 25 adoptee searchers by basically building a family tree back words. It can take up to a year and a lot of Legg work and knowledge on DNA to back track.

I learned a couple cool things. My Haleo DNA ,which is the branch ur genetics take is a rare branch. This is due to the black plague and witch hunters/trials. No Foolin,,I can't make this stuff up. Also my Italian genes are leaning to Sicilian but will take more digging to confirm this.
My ancestry report was needed to continue so we were on hold. While waiting Joe my cousin who is helping me suggested a Facebook group who helps adoptees find there family.
So I provided what info I had. Where and when I was born and her name and age.

12 hours latter I have a name,address,Facebook page,g mail address ect. I was floored. Just sat back she'll shocked. Now this is not a grantee she was my mom. Looked at her face book pictures and saw my hair line and features. Stull means nothing so I sent her a message told her who I was and asked if she was my mother.

About an hour latter she confirmed she was in fact my birth mother. I was born in Pennsylvania. She now lives in Las Vegas. She lived an hour up the road from where I grew up.

20 years ago I went through a private investigator who rounded up every one with my mother's name and birthday. There were over 60 with that name and exact birthday. I cold called every name on that list that I could get a hold of. She was on that list,the address was old.

Turns out my great great grand father came on the boat front Sicily. He moved to Kentucky where the family became well known moonshiners and to this day are strait up hillbillies,my kind of people.
Seems CO's Skillbilly is now fitting.

Her family last name is not the original. My great grand father broke out of jail and went to Maryland where a friend got him a job and introduced him as "Jones" and that had been the last name from then on.

She had very little info on my dad. Was a friend of a neighbor one time thing and when she said she was pregnant he basically said for her to kick rocks. He already had 3 kids and I'm guessing a wife.
She is not even sure the name is 100% correct but I think I tracked down the neighbor so that's my next path.

I will say the genetic testing is cool. The 23 and me costs more but gives u health genetic markers as well. If u or someone u know is in the same boat as me contact me and i will pass on the information of the group that helped me. It cost me nothing they are volunteers.
Guess this post isn't finished yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 am 

Deuneit wrote:
Finally some good news in the world.
It's nice when weight loss pills for men work well and something in our lives finally works out for us. That don't happen very often and has to be remembered.

I guess it's true what they say, life is sometimes stranger than fiction. I hope all ends well for you, Edd!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:31 am 

Thank you.
I appreciate it. I see this is ur first post ,,welcome to the forum.
Edd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:45 am 

Well that was an interesting read.
There was a real big debate here years ago about releasing adoption records in our province.
Not sure where I stand on that issue as I have never really thought about it.
I guess it is a big deal if your adopted but I am not in the same boat so can't really make an intelligent comment on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm 

Having been on both sides I can say I think it is a good thing. There will be instances where the birth mother may really want nothing to do with u and some could argue that its her right,I agree but I feel the child's rights come before the parents.
One thing I will point out,,I've gone through my life with no family medical history. May seem like not a big deal but if all the males in my family die from heart issues at 50 that could be useful.
Pennsylvania used to have a system set up where the child could send in a letter agreeing to be contacted and if the birth parent did the same they would pass along info. They recently scrapped that system and for 25$ they will give u an unedited birth cirtificate.Pennsylvania will do anything for a buck ,,if it makes them money it must be good. I sent off for mine a couple weeks ago but don't need it now.
I will add it's odd not knowing where u fit in the puzzle of life. I'm learning there is no subitute for genetic connection.
I think it's an interesting debate

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:10 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Having been on both sides I can say I think it is a good thing. There will be instances where the birth mother may really want nothing to do with u and some could argue that its her right,I agree but I feel the child's rights come before the parents.
One thing I will point out,,I've gone through my life with no family medical history. May seem like not a big deal but if all the males in my family die from heart issues at 50 that could be useful.
Pennsylvania used to have a system set up where the child could send in a letter agreeing to be contacted and if the birth parent did the same they would pass along info. They recently scrapped that system and for 25$ they will give u an unedited birth cirtificate.Pennsylvania will do anything for a buck ,,if it makes them money it must be good. I sent off for mine a couple weeks ago but don't need it now.
I will add it's odd not knowing where u fit in the puzzle of life. I'm learning there is no subitute for genetic connection.
I think it's an interesting debate

Quite the story there :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 am 

So where to start, my grand mother on my dads sode was 100% greman. My grand dad met her in germany and marrived her overy there and had my dad. This was durging WWII and he brough her back with him . It just keeps getting better and better. Found a couple newspaper articles about my dad. First was him being arrested at 18 for robbing two gas stations. The other was about a wreck he was involved in with my mom's neighbor who he met her through. Neighbor hit a car head on and the other driver was killed and my dad's friend was driving and he ended up crippled. Turns out I have 3 half siblings. Here is where u have to pay attention. My dad had 3 kids with one lady. 2 boys and a girl. Turns out he was not the dad of the girl she got DNA tested. So now I'm down to two half brothers but hold on now. Being a dog my dad knocked up my mom and his other baby mama at the same time. I have a half sister out there somewhere same age as me as she too was put up for adoption. So now we got one adopted out sister and the two brothers. One is doing 120+ years as a guest of the state and we will just leave it at that. . The other is a year older then me and we seem to have a lot in common from a love of old school metal,sabbath ,priest ect to he has a daughter my son's age who lives in Washington state and is into the same stuff my boy is,rock climbing,rafting , camping u get the idea. I hope I can form a bond with him. Anyway when I contacted him his first question was if our dad raised me.

So he bailed on them when my brother was 2 or 3 and he said he saw him 3 times his whole life.

So my dad was ur run of the mill white trash crook. He was a bad alcoholic and did at least 8 years in prison for burgrely.if not more. And was no father to any of his kids. He died a lonely angry drunk living on social security. His brother my uncle was connected to the mob in Philly. He lost his legs from iv drug use and eventually died from them. His son my cousin ,who never knew him lives in Jacksonville FL.

Can't get more real then that.
I'm out boom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am 

Well you have done a hell of a lot of digging there.
At the end of the day it's not what others in your family have done or want, it's what YOU want out of your life. Every man for himself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:17 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Well you have done a hell of a lot of digging there.
At the end of the day it's not what others in your family have done or want, it's what YOU want out of your life. Every man for himself.

Every man for himself.. says the man who tries to help everyone!
:-)