Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamaha YXZ1000R
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 am 

In addition to the work I've been doing on Odysseys and Pilots, I've also been doing work on other buggies and SXSs. A customer brought his Yamaha 1000R to my shop yesterday for a full Roll Cage Make over. Before pulling it in and starting the planning, the guy insisted I take it for a lap... WTF!

The buggy is actually rather large, overall it takes up about the same space as my 2001 Mustang. My first impression was the immediate need to look at everything. The Fox shocks are just Huge, the Spring has about a 7" diameter and without measuring the overall length, they gotta be about 35" long, just a guess. The buggy has a self contained manual 5 speed transmission and a 3 cylinder 4 stroke Engine.

So, in I climbed and off I went. There is more power then I could have asked for and the tires would spin at the drop of a hat. I kinda liked the 5 speed, but it keeps you kinda busy, steering, shifting, braking. It was a lot of fun, but there was a lot going on. At one point I had it up on the 2 side wheels and that confirmed the one thing I'm not comfortable yet with the SXSs, they feel top heavy.

Anyway, here are just a couple pics, I'll post more when I start the fab work.
Attachment:
20170326_105230.jpg
20170326_105230.jpg [ 80.27 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

Attachment:
20170326_105237.jpg
20170326_105237.jpg [ 73.38 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

Attachment:
20170326_105243.jpg
20170326_105243.jpg [ 91.33 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yamaha YXZ1000R
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 am 

On my last trip to AZ I seen one of them being assembled at Parker Yamaha (a buddy is friends with the owner) its huge, after riding the desert for more than 11k miles I would not want something that big even in the open desert I bet it would limit the trails I have rode to about 50% you could actually ride 80% of the trails but that extra 30% would be creeping along at a snails pace to avoid damaging something.

I was told by the guy assembling you have to manually up-shift but it will automatically downshift preventing you from being in too high of a gear.

I have NO ATTRACTION to manually shifting a side by side you will never out shift a CVT and probably a automatic transmission on a CVT the Engine is in the right RPM's 99.9% of the time where its delivering the right power to the ground.

You can over power a manually shifting machine to compensate as they did with the Yamahaha but as you say 'wheel spin' .. that's a whole other issue.

Come On Lotto so I can test all these side by sides :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am 

In talking with my customer he agrees that this buggy is definitely not ideal for the trails here in the northeast. This thing would be perfectly at home on the sand dunes. I liked the 5 speed only because it was a short ride and it was something different, I'm a race car guy at heart. That said, I also prefer the CVT set-up for buggies. The owner has already installed a heavier flywheel as the factory one made it difficult to pull out. He explained that the clutch should be either in or out and even the slightest riding/slipping of it, burns them up fast. His comment was, god help you if you try to ease up a trail that is on a hill, your clutch will be done.

The steering was easy but to soft, and not quick enough. We actually discussed installing a steering quickiner. I felt like I was steering a mile a minute with latent response. I'll be sure to post ample pics and possibly a video once the work is done. I am sure there are people out there that will love this thing.

I do love the idea of hitting the lottery and testing them all, nice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am 

I never thought about creeping it on off the trailer or trying to creep through a tight spot.

Does it have power steering?

I could picture myself in that machine running the Parker 425 after having a expert go through the shocks and at the dunes .

Come on Lotto...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:03 pm 

Off topic but this the same methodical on YouTube posting vids about the odyssey builds and customizing? If so cool, I'm a fan and subscriber

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:50 pm 

Yes, I am he. Thank you for your kind words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:08 pm 

The 2016 yxz is full manual..it will not downshift automatically ..it has power steering. .

Profile E-mail