Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:09 am 

I have a new toy, it's called an Airdog Drone. I think this thing is absolutely amazing, I'm still learning it a bit, but so far can't believe this first video!!!

Wearable Arm Band, Drone follows the Arm Band (completely waterproof), and this drone is HIGH PERFORMANCE!!! Fast (keeps up pretty well), Agile and Super Easy to use!!!!

Check out my video here: https://youtu.be/mc8CVHEOcrY

MG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 am 

Awesome. Great vid.
I like it because it shows the whole area from the air as well as the oddy. I did notice that you could really gain on the drone when you stomped on it on the straights. Can you out run the signal range and if you do what happens ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:35 am 

https://myfirstdrone.com/tutorials/buyi ... ire2_index
Found this site and noticed the flight times of these drones ain't very long. Looks like about half hour for a good one and about 15 min for the camera drone they put at the top of the list. Note also that drone was one of the cheapest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am 

I didn't see the airdog mentioned in that article. This isn't a drone you can fly with a controller, its only purpose is to follow the person wearing that GPS armband. Everything is accomplished with GPS signaling via satellites, so range I don't think range would be a huge issue. When we use it for jet skiing we use a different setting which forces the drone to land exactly where it takes off from, so I'm guessing if ever you're out of range it will fly to its takeoff point and land there.

Yes the drone has about 20 minutes of flight time, and that is a long time for any camera drone. You like what I like, you see the terrain and the oddy makes for cool video.! Yes when you get on it, you definitely are faster then the drone, this drone has a top speed of about 45mph.

When I researched all the FOLLOW drones, watched all the consumer videos out there nothing came even close to the quality of airdog videos. There are other drones the you can pilot, but I'm not a good drone pilot, and I also want to be the one playing and not piloting the drone!!! Thanks for checking it out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:51 am 

https://www.wearechampionmag.com/drones ... ow-me-mode

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm 

I have seen the DJI mavic fly, its is an awesome drone. Super solid flight, super stable, and a small fast drone. But I have seen the DJI drones fail miserably in their follow mode, or what they call active track. Although the mavic was a completely redesign for them so maybe their follow mode has gotten better. They tracked not by a wearable, but by shape recognition in the camera, and again I thought it was worthless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 pm 

MGurgone40 wrote:
I have seen the DJI mavic fly, its is an awesome drone. Super solid flight, super stable, and a small fast drone. But I have seen the DJI drones fail miserably in their follow mode, or what they call active track. Although the mavic was a completely redesign for them so maybe their follow mode has gotten better. They tracked not by a wearable, but by shape recognition in the camera, and again I thought it was worthless.

Cool video,been wanting an Airdog since I saw the kickstarter campaign for it a long time ago.What are they selling for now? Can you program it to stay in front of you?
I have a Phantom 3 Advanced and follow me mode sucks balls :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 pm 

Thanks for checking it out!!! I was happy with the way the video turned out, and thought the Airdog should get a great review. They are around $1000, but you need a GoPro4 it doesn't come with that. I have seen them on Ebay sell for cheaper $600ish. I would imagine Airdog Corp would even check the flight logs if you EBay seller was willing to give you the ID then you could see if you are buying a low hour drone.

You program it to stay where ever you want and for a bunch of different sport modes (motocross coming soon - I'm excited about that mode because the metrics I was using on that video is for extreme mountain biking so the drone isn't flying at it's max speed):

Front - problem with all of these settings, is the drone can't keep up with the subject, and it's constantly then trying to catch up and get itself back into position.
Front Left - "
Front Right - "
Left - these settings have worked by far the best for anything with speed
Right - "
Back Left - "
Back Right - "
Directly Behind - "

You then set the flight height, and distance away from you the subject. No obstacle avoidance I this drone though, so you need a good deal of open space or fly above the trees, obstacles like I did in that video. I love the way you put it, more truthful than the way I put it, I agree the follow mode sucks, especially when the subject is moving any faster than walking speed!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm 

Wonder how good this one is?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hexo-auto-follo ... SwjDZYk7gP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 pm 

That was one I compared the airdog to. Spend some time on youtube watching the consumer videos, I want to say there were enough malfunctions to scare me off. I believe it tracks the signal from your smartphone if I remember correctly??? I do definitely remember that is one of the better follow drones though, I think they either had motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) issues, maybe they were discontinuing - something scared me away. That's a killer price though!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:37 am 

Cool video and drone!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:18 pm 

Thanks Curtis, GoPro videos are great, but I was super happy with the angle and quality of the drone video!
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:32 pm 

MGurgone40 wrote:
That was one I compared the airdog to. Spend some time on youtube watching the consumer videos, I want to say there were enough malfunctions to scare me off. I believe it tracks the signal from your smartphone if I remember correctly??? I do definitely remember that is one of the better follow drones though, I think they either had motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) issues, maybe they were discontinuing - something scared me away. That's a killer price though!!!

yeah I'm not finding great reviews on the Hexo+
I built a holder for my remote on my buggy and used the follow me mode instead of active track and it worked decent till I crashed it into a tree :shock:
Last time I tried to use the follow me mode though I couldnt get it to work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 pm 

Are you being serious did you fly your drone and drive the buggy??? That is completely nuts if that's what you did!!!! You are up there high over those trees! How high did you set the drone? The video is cool, and that riding area looks cool as well! can't believe how great that video is, still can't believe you're driving the pilot And piloting the drone crazy!!!
Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:17 pm 

MGurgone40 wrote:
Are you being serious did you fly your drone and drive the buggy??? That is completely nuts if that's what you did!!!! You are up there high over those trees! How high did you set the drone? The video is cool, and that riding area looks cool as well! can't believe how great that video is, still can't believe you're driving the pilot And piloting the drone crazy!!!
Mike

Lol
No I wasn't flying and driving
The P3A has follow me mode but will only follow you if you're holding the remote,so I built a holder for the rc on the buggy.Like I said it doesn't work very well, I couldn't get it to do it again when I tried it last time I rode the buggy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:09 am 

For video I use a Garmin Virb XE. Has a lot of cool options that I like with the buggy. Will show all kinds of info on the video,speed,altitude,direction will even put a map in the corner of the video showing where you have ridden. I have a Garmin activity tracker bracket and it syncs with the camera to show my pulse on the video and also will control the camera. It's also water proof and quite rugged.
I did a lot of research and the Virb XE was the best choice for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm 

Made another vid this morning using P3A with follow me mode,not as good as the airdog that's for sure but its all I got :-)
I really need to get some more music downloaded on my computer,apparently Sammy Hagar is the onnly music I have on it :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 pm 

Just watched the video, love mid way through the video the part of the video where the drone is flying backwards and shooting video of you driving towards it!!! The video quality and the riding location makes for an awesome shot!!! I have several new videos I'm editing now, hope to have them posted in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am 

MGurgone40 wrote:
Just watched the video, love mid way through the video the part of the video where the drone is flying backwards and shooting video of you driving towards it!!! The video quality and the riding location makes for an awesome shot!!! I have several new videos I'm editing now, hope to have them posted in the next week or so. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Yeah that was my favorite shot also,I had to adjust the altitude and gimbal while I was driving and pretty much guessing I was still in the shot because of glare on screen of phone it was hard to see if I was still in shot.I tried putting it in front of me again but when I initiated the procedure it went to the side of me but that made for a good shot of me doing the donut. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm 

Very cool!!!
I've had my on a DJI Mavic Pro for a while...hoping pricing drops. Have you had experience with any other drones?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:54 pm 

El conejo wrote:
Very cool!!!
I've had my on a DJI Mavic Pro for a while...hoping pricing drops. Have you had experience with any other drones?

If youre talking to me,only experience I've had personally flying them was with the 1st gen phantom and now the P3A,would love to have a mavic.Have you tried using follow mode on the Mavic?