Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 am 

Considering buying a new to me horizontal band saw but it's 4 phase and I need some guidance on weather I can use it or if I have to change the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Going to look at it at 4pm today so any fast help is appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:15 pm 

look at phase converter if its Less then the electric single phase M 0 T 0 R

and its most likely 3 phase

Speed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm 

Thank you speed. Someone converted it at some time as it works off 110v single phase even though it has the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) tagged as 4 phase.
Alot more heavy duty then my other ones. It's a Armstrong Blum 712m. Bought it for 300$. I bought a lot of aluminum pipe I've been selling and my saw cuts strait but not perfect so I have to leave extra material ,if I sell 12" section I ship a 13" now I can cut more precise. Gonna pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks again for the reply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 pm 

Figured I'd include a pic

Attachments:
1502493392698.jpg
1502493392698.jpg [ 77.07 KiB | Viewed 454 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Figured I'd include a pic

Nice looking saw what you going to build with that :-)

Plug almost visible in your picture is for ? (orange cord)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm 

I have a few horizontal band saws but we're too small to cut 6" pipe through cleanly, also the price was right 300$.
The plug is the power wire. Works off of 120v. And the plate on the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is labeled as 4 phase. I think that's why I got it cheap,,everyone thought it was 4 phase. Gonna play with it this afternoon ,hook up the oil system ect. Ram is low on oil so I got to figure out how to add oil but can't be that hard,famous last words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 pm 

So I got the saw going. Had a cracked hydraulic fitting which was a odd ball so I tapped and changed out the fittings.
So Im cutting with it and my cuts are off about a 1/16th" vertical narrow at the top and wider at the bottom.
My pipe is flat on the bed and I even added a strap over it to make sure it stayed flat.
This saw has additional adjustments that my other saws don't. The roller assemblies have a cam type of bolt and I belive this is to change the angle of the blade but wanted some input before I start screwing with it.
Of course I can't get the pic to load but will add one with the wife's phone

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm 

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 91.34 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 113.99 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm 

So it's less then 1/16th. Ami just being picky.
Micrometer was set at zero on the thin section

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 53.66 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 pm 

Widest point.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51.51 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:42 pm 

Can you adjust the speed of the cut my experience with horizontal band saws is slower the cut straighter the cut. Sharp blade also cuts straighter.

Adjust the left blade guide the thing with the blade rollers on it close as you can to the piece your trying to cut.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 pm 

I second what hoser said but I would not be screwing with anything unless you start with a brand new blade. Used blades sometimes run off. Looks like you have .003 taper but that is not a lot. This thing is not a lathe. Getting that three thou may be tough. But here is what I would do:
1) start with a new blade
2) make sure the bolt on that top cam is snug as well as the bolt that will be at the back of that roller assembly
3) move the left adjustable guide in close to the work
4) if it is still cutting a taper you will have to adjust the top cams on each of those roller assemblies

How did you get "less than a 1/16" ??
I only see .003 on the caliper ( .206 and .209 is three thou )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 am 

The speed of drop is adjustable. That cut took about 10 minutes,only because I was trying to get as straight as I could.
The angle that the saw is in as it makes its arch doesn't allow the lt guide to be any closer or it will make contact with the clamp.
The blade is sharp but I agree I should change the blade prior to puliinout my hair. While I know that now I failed to consider it prior to you're suggestion, thank you.
I will report back once I get a blade.
Thank you guys

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am 

And I came up with it being less than 1/16th of an inch because I can't read a micrometer. So take that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 am 

If three thou (.003) is all that the saw is out then I don't feel you are going to get any better than that. I think you will be chasing your tail adjusting the roller assembly. There is a bolt at the back that it would pivot on and then there is the bolt on the front side that the cam is on. I would make sure they are both snug.
By the way that is a nice saw. I like it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am 

I can live with .003 , since I sell the pipe I'd like to get people a nice cut but I always let them know the cuts are not perfect. For personal projects I'll never notice it just would like to start as close as I can.
So are the blade guide/rollers just bearings I can just go buy anywhere? The vertical blade top guide rollers are worn,,they are grooved , one a little deep.
On a funny note I was filling the oil resivoure and had abut 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid in there and was adding more when I noticed most of it had run out the bottom. Turns out there was a pencil size hole in it. Not so funny by itself but put that with the fact I spent two days running around town to find my replacement fitting. Another day hunting down the tap I needed since I couldn't locate a replacement fitting. Had to order the tap,went to pick it up and ,it never came in so they had to order another one. Went to pick it up and they had found my original one right after ordering a replacement. I bought both. Figured it was a sign I'd break one.
The tapping and fitting for two new fittings took a whole 10 minutes.
So when my oil ran out I was not at all superseded.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
So are the blade guide/rollers just bearings I can just go buy anywhere? The vertical blade top guide rollers are worn,,they are grooved , one a little deep.

Those rollers are just standard bearings you should be able to get any place.
Based on what I see there on that dial caliper that saw is good. You won't get better. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:26 pm 

So I really did not know how to read a micrometer. Just never had it explained to me and CO was kind enough to message me a crash course and it's so easy I feel silly for not figuring it out.
So a BIG SHOUT OUT to CO,thank you

Profile E-mail