Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:13 pm 

Yesterday I rode with my two brothers. We rode the routes around the Denton area south of Houghton Lake. Apparently, they haven't had rain up there because the trails were very dusty. Plooms of dust would engulf the entire trail making it difficult to see or breath. Kevin could ride his quad close behind us and keep his head above the roost and dust from the Honda's.
I took my Pilot #2 up there to ride which broke down 20 miles out forcing my brothers to form a rescue team to come and get me. It still was a fun day. The breakdown is at the end of the video. Now both of my Pilots are broke. I used the tune from the new Jeep "summer" commercial on the video.

https://youtu.be/K4t_t7rJAng

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:19 pm 

daddyrat wrote:
Yesterday I rode with my two brothers. We rode the routes around the Denton area south of Houghton Lake. Apparently, they haven't had rain up there because the trails were very dusty. Plooms of dust would engulf the entire trail making it difficult to see or breath. Kevin could ride his quad close behind us and keep his head above the roost and dust from the Honda's.
I took my Pilot #2 up there to ride which broke down 20 miles out forcing my brothers to form a rescue team to come and get me. It still was a fun day. The breakdown is at the end of the video. Now both of my Pilots are broke.

https://youtu.be/K4t_t7rJAng

Good looking run! Sorry it ended that way and let us know what happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:20 pm 

That sounded like a fuel issue to me.
Out of gas, pump dead, fuel filter, pickup lines, float valve plugged up with something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:17 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
That sounded like a fuel issue to me.
Out of gas, pump dead, fuel filter, pickup lines, float valve plugged up with something.

That's what I thought. I pulled the gas line off the carb and turned it over. Gas did dribble out, will test the 10 second 4 oz thing. I can also do a quick compression test. This one was at #162 psi. It still would turn over,just wouldn't start. Nice response though, you covered all possibilities and are really sharpening your forum troubleshooting skills on my stuff. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 am 

It's all part of the dance my friend. The more u get to know u r machine you will be able to identify and repair many issues on the trail.
Obiously u enjoy a good adventure and are not scared of going way out ,20 miles,impressive.
I can't say what trail repair items are must haves for the pilot but just off the top of my head I'd carry some easy spare parts with me and a few basic tools.
Replacement belt
Spark plug
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
A short section of fuel line
A couple hose clamps
A short section of electrical wire
Wire ties
And self fusing silacone tape (this stuff is the new duck tape can get it at Walmart for 1/2 the price of discount auto)
Tool wise I carry 10mm to 14mm wrenches.
Screwdriver with changeable tips
Small vice grips
Leatherman multi tool
Last but not least a clean rag.
I carry pre moistened hand wipes. Great for cleaning off after a repair or just wiping the dust off you're face. Also make great toilet paper. Guess they should have been at the top of the list though.

Items and tools suitable for the pilot will vary from mine but will give u some food for thought.
My starter went out one day way out in the woods. Used my extra electrical wire as a pull starter. Wrapped it around my crank pulley and yanked it. Started right up.
Point being u never know what u will need but if you have a few basic items it might just save you're day.

Another thing I do is any tool I use on the buggy goes in my tool box on the trailer with all my spare parts. This way I always have any tools I may need no mtater how far from home. . I also have a vise welded to my trailer as well as a small generator and air compressor. I tend to go over board some times but I'm an old school Boy Scout,be prepared .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 am 

FloridaEdd wrote:
It's all part of the dance my friend. The more u get to know u r machine you will be able to identify and repair many issues on the trail.
Obiously u enjoy a good adventure and are not scared of going way out ,20 miles,impressive.
I can't say what trail repair items are must haves for the pilot but just off the top of my head I'd carry some easy spare parts with me and a few basic tools.
Replacement belt
Spark plug
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
A short section of fuel line
A couple hose clamps
A short section of electrical wire
Wire ties
And self fusing silacone tape (this stuff is the new duck tape can get it at Walmart for 1/2 the price of discount auto)
Tool wise I carry 10mm to 14mm wrenches.
Screwdriver with changeable tips
Small vice grips
Leatherman multi tool
Last but not least a clean rag.
I carry pre moistened hand wipes. Great for cleaning off after a repair or just wiping the dust off you're face. Also make great toilet paper. Guess they should have been at the top of the list though.

Items and tools suitable for the pilot will vary from mine but will give u some food for thought.
My starter went out one day way out in the woods. Used my extra electrical wire as a pull starter. Wrapped it around my crank pulley and yanked it. Started right up.
Point being u never know what u will need but if you have a few basic items it might just save you're day.

Another thing I do is any tool I use on the buggy goes in my tool box on the trailer with all my spare parts. This way I always have any tools I may need no mtater how far from home. . I also have a vise welded to my trailer as well as a small generator and air compressor. I tend to go over board some times but I'm an old school Boy Scout,be prepared .

Hey FloridaEdd thanks for taking the time to respond, a lot of good ideas. I took a plug, belt, some basic tools, and a tow strap. We were basically at the far end of our favorite loop. If the pilot died closer to our loading spot I would have just towed it back. It was quicker to have my brothers haul ass riding back and returning with the trailer. We only ride for 40 miles or so, taking maybe 3 to 4 hours for the day and than head back home. I never do overnite weekend trips, 20 some years ago a local judge and my wife both strongly suggested I quit partying, and I did. I avoid temptation with the guys by making just making day trips. My brothers, son and other Daddyrat riders have always understood and it works out. So, long trail side wrenching sessions are usually just passed on opting for a quicker recovery. Because of this, all of my guys including me, have had to sit out a ride over the years when broke down. My riding weekend always eat 2 days, I like to ride on Saturdays and throw a video together on Sunday.

I already did my choirs today to make her happy, so I will go out and compression check #2, and pull the pipe and carb on #1 for a leak down test. No wrenching today, brief testing only.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:29 am 

daddyrat where are you from? I'm in Lansing and have been looking for good trails to take my 350's out to. Have you been to the mounds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:38 am 

I feel ya.
Slow and steady is the way to go. Yeah I enjoy you're videos. I've made a few but can only get a couple of minutes to load,how do u do such long videos online?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 pm 

mforbes wrote:
daddyrat where are you from? I'm in Lansing and have been looking for good trails to take my 350's out to. Have you been to the mounds?

I live in Durand, so I am your neighbor. Been to the mounds, great for monster trucks and mudholes. The trails are all whooped out and have been that way for 30 years. Too many whoops for rippen, but fine for putting around and checking out the drowned out and stuck trucks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:34 pm 

Pilot #1 troublesome Ohio......................................Plugged exhaust, intake and vacuum feed. Leak down test failed. Better than it was, but drops pressure in seconds. Will look further if my tool or installation of tool was the cause of the leaking. At this point I am saying that is my problem.

Pilot #2 Florida.....................................................compression previously tested at #162 psi now at #24 psi. Bummer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 pm 

daddyrat wrote:
Pilot #1 troublesome Ohio......................................Plugged exhaust, intake and vacuum feed. Leak down test failed. Better than it was, but drops pressure in seconds. Will look further if my tool or installation of tool was the cause of the leaking. At this point I am saying that is my problem.

Pilot #2 Florida.....................................................compression previously tested at #162 psi now at #24 psi. Bummer.

Ohio pilot: Probably that main crank seal.
Florida pilot: Possible girl machine. Needs better fuel than a boy machine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:04 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
daddyrat wrote:

Ohio pilot: Probably that main crank seal.
Florida pilot: Possible girl machine. Needs better fuel than a boy machine.

Your talking the clutch side seal right? That is the odd ball two lipped seal. I need to buy a higher torqued air impact driver. A few weeks ago I had to replace the cam arms while on the Engine due to clutch not coming off. Put pilot on its side and filled shaft with water, tightened down but wouldn't break free. I got it off once before after the rebuild but no go this last time tried. I have 2 sets of crank seals I bought off ebay here at the house. If I can get the clutch off I may be able to get that side seal out and swap it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm 

If all else fails do the water trick and let it sit outside on a night when u get a hard freeze. The expanding ice will pop it off. Figures it's still summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:33 pm 

Yeah I was talking about that double lip seal. But I thought you guys replaced that already with a single lip ?? Can't believe clutches are that hard to take off --- no way. You 1/2" impact the pusher bolt (just a bit -- don't rattle on it for minutes). Then smack the bolt head with a hammer (don't be shy) and rattle, smack, rattle, smack -- you get the idea. My money says two rattles and smacks and it's on the floor. By the way "on the floor" is code for I did that and busted the clutch housing when it hit the concrete. You have been warned.

Profile E-mail