Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 pm 

Might be a odd question, but I have a pistol I've been building, and the the upper receiver is fixed to the lower receiver by a pin with a groove in the middle. The upper has a hole that the pin goes through which has a steel ball under spring load to hold it all together, locking in the groove of the pin. The ball has come out. How in the heck is it held in? It's the same idea as a ball on a ratchet or extension that helps to hold the socket on. I ask here as there are many smart folks with out of the box ideas. Pictures may help.

I purchased the lower receiver 80% and machined the other 20. It is a tec9 purchased in 1985. They are known for cracking the lower as it was a plastic made piece. You can see the cracked rear of the plastic lower.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 79.43 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 51.44 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 65.66 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 77.07 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm 

Photo of the milling process.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 114.5 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 pm 

Could it be the ball isn't intended to come all the way out? Like maybe only the top is intended to stick up in the area the pin slides through. Maybe the hole it sits in is worn and no longer holding it?

Receiver looks good , I built a 80% AR when I first got my little mill but I think you'res looks better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 pm 

I don't own a tec 9 but any detent set up I have ever seen prevents the ball from coming out by having the hole that the ball is in slightly center punched to keep it from flying out. That hole must be made smaller than the diameter of the ball in some way or another.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:44 pm 

The federalies will be onto us now boys.
But that's ok because we can make our own stuff LOL

Edit: Here is an example of why the stupid chimps in the government fail at gun control. These dumb dumbs think that if they just pass a law and write it down on paper in a law book, that everything will be good. The dope finks wont register their guns and stop their drive by shootings. We have recently (a couple of days ago) had several assignations of drug dealers in grocery store parking lots in broad daylight here. And Canada has some of the most restrictive guns laws on earth. Bullet casings all over the parking lot and all our government and police can do it take pictures and make notes. How does that protect us ?? The police are just secretaries -- they take notes. Good job boys. All of these recent shootings here have been caused by immigrants from India. The one wounded guy from India who lived wont talk to the police so they always ask for the public to come foreword with any information. LMFAO.

Edit again: Almost forgot -- just in case that sounded racist I am going to work on wed because a good friend of mine told me to get my butt down there because they needed a millwright real bad. He's east Indian. A sheik.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 pm 

Thanks guys. I gues what's got me confused is the hole that the spring and ball go into is blind. If I put the spring and ball in the hole then set with a center punch it will make the hole bigger. What kinda tool is us d to peen the hole closed????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:32 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Thanks guys. I gues what's got me confused is the hole that the spring and ball go into is blind. If I put the spring and ball in the hole then set with a center punch it will make the hole bigger. What kinda tool is us d to peen the hole closed????

No it won't.
Hold the spring and ball down in the hole with a vise grip and then tap the face with a center punch if there is some meat (area) there. If not then try the outside edge. Close up pics would help us out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 pm 

I would use a punch with a small tip if u can get to the hole and dimple the edge of the hole on one side.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:42 pm 

What Co is saying is punching the ball may make it expand but I think the ball will be too hard of a,steel to punch and may damage the spring. I think punching the edge is a better option.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
What Co is saying is punching the ball may make it expand but I think the ball will be too hard of a,steel to punch and may damage the spring. I think punching the edge is a better option.

NO not the ball the edge.
Guess I didn't explain myself right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 pm 

You can close up a hole by placing a ball bearing that is larger than the hole over it and lightly tapping.

This doesn't distort the hole as much as the punch method.

Better pics would really help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 pm 

I think that's the best idea yet. I got to remember that one.

Profile E-mail