Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm 

I've quite jobs at the drop of the hat,but that's the wiring in my head. When the switch flips I'm done and do like u,,go home.

So I went and picked up some keys for the gators today.
Battery charged up added gas,the tank was empty and turned the key and nothing. Found a kill switch flipped it and it spun over good and sounded like good compression but nothing. Pulled the fuel line and got gas in my eyes ( better then the time i swallowed some while syphoning) pulled the carb drain plug and got turpentine out.
Pulled the carb and cleaned it out. Full of that black nasty gunk. Slow and fast jets were clogged. Bolted it back up and started right up. It has always been my experience that cleaning a carb will fix ur issue 90% of the time. I'm talking chain saws,geneaters ,mowers,gators ect.
Drove it around the yard before I hit the road ,well the grass shoulder ,and drove about 3 miles. Did great. I have no issues except a leaking left front tire.
Took it next door to my mom's and she is gonna get the other one. Well she asked if she could borrow mine and belive me it's just easier to give her one.
The other one was parked nose down. Water puddles in the front of the bed and caused rust. Well the water ran down and rotted the steel plate that the Engine mounts to. Just the very edge but the edge that is welded to the chassis. No big deal a 3x2 sheet of steel will fix that right up but I'm gonna do that before I even attempt to start, Engine actully looks a tad slanted. I have no doubt it runs.
Was thinking I might have a decent project to post on but I got nothing. I will add a winch but that's about it. Oh and a stereo gotta have my Metallica.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Need an air compressor , pressure fryer,open fryer. This is one very small part of my yard. I tell people when u deal in shit u better have a bunch of it. Awesome when I want to build something

That is straight out of American Pickers. I recently had to clean out my in laws house they lived in for 55 years. 17 acres of rusty gold my arse!! Took (7) 40 yard dumpsters to get rid of that sh!!t and that was just the GOOD stuff :-) :-) . Still had to deal with the 23 cars on the property that were going to be used for something someday. Had to borrow a tractor because the one on the property didn't run. But someday he was gonna get to it. Ha Ha!!
Ed, I feel sorry for your kids. It was no fun having that dumped on my wife and I. :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm 

Oh no. 90% of my stuff is stuff for sale. In one of the pics behind a big air compressor is a air holding tank I just today sold for 1k. The pipe laying on the ground by them is 6" aluminum pipe I sell for 25$ a foot. I have hundreds of feet of aluminum pipe. Was a circus tent set up without the tent. Bought a semi full for 300$ and immedietly sold a trapeze for 2500$ Other things are left over,broken or worthless. I build all kinds of stuff and the metal is raw material that I don't have to buy. Every few years I have a guy haul off the scrap which comes out to around 600$ a load but I always regret it when I have to buy a section of steel.
The blue steam/serving tables are a small size for kids. I paid 1$ for each piece and as a set I could get 2500 and if not I'll make a smoker out of the warming cabinet and I'm already eyeing one of the steamer tables for a hydronic herb garden. And when I've picked the bones I'll sell it for scrap.
I've told the wife when I die to get one of my auctioneer friends to sell it all. I've been offered 25k for everything on the ground. The pics only show a portion of my inventory.
My wife and I make our living doing this. We've done this exclusively for 20 years. And we work about 20 hours a month,combined.

Guess my point is its all inventory and one man's junk is another's treasure. Give me a 100x100 warehouse and I'd be set.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:19 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Oh no. 90% of my stuff is stuff for sale. In one of the pics behind a big air compressor is a air holding tank I just today sold for 1k. The pipe laying on the ground by them is 6" aluminum pipe I sell for 25$ a foot. I have hundreds of feet of aluminum pipe. Was a circus tent set up without the tent. Bought a semi full for 300$ and immedietly sold a trapeze for 2500$ Other things are left over,broken or worthless. I build all kinds of stuff and the metal is raw material that I don't have to buy. Every few years I have a guy haul off the scrap which comes out to around 600$ a load but I always regret it when I have to buy a section of steel.
The blue steam/serving tables are a small size for kids. I paid 1$ for each piece and as a set I could get 2500 and if not I'll make a smoker out of the warming cabinet and I'm already eyeing one of the steamer tables for a hydronic herb garden. And when I've picked the bones I'll sell it for scrap.
I've told the wife when I die to get one of my auctioneer friends to sell it all. I've been offered 25k for everything on the ground. The pics only show a portion of my inventory.
My wife and I make our living doing this. We've done this exclusively for 20 years. And we work about 20 hours a month,combined.

Guess my point is its all inventory and one man's junk is another's treasure. Give me a 100x100 warehouse and I'd be set.

Glad to hear it's all a business. All I can say is the pics of your shop full of stuff reminded me of having to empty my in laws 60x80 foot barn. It was that full. Probably thousands of dollars worth of stuff but I threw it all away. Don't have the time to try and sell it. There was sh!t everywhere on the property. Until you are the one who inherits it and has to deal with it it's all good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm 

It was twice as big and I sectioned part of it off and finished it to hold inventory. I got locked in at that point as everything got shoved over and I didn't plan well. I plan on extending it by 16" the 30" length length then I have room to redo everything. I'm not happy with it at all but it's where I'm at right now.

That's when u call in an auctioneer. They love that stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 pm 

Just to throw out an example. I sold a antique dentist chair to a couple who ran a haunted house. They came to pick it up and had a look around. Fell in love with a cadaver table I had here. It was one if 6 but I sold the others and it had been there for years. They bought it on the spot for 500$.
Now I won't front I do have more stuff then I can sell but I have stuff I can sell when I need to. I have gone 6 months without buying anything new and didn't make a dent.
I understand to some this whole thing might seem nuts but it works for us. It's not easy to be successful at this. I've watched many come and go. I could have a huge business but then I got to work like a real job. Moving this stuff I bought was the most work I've done in a year. No lie. But it will feed me for close to a year.

As I read back over this I sure sound defensive so I hope this don't come off wrong. I'm just trying to give some insight to the method of my madness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
As I read back over this I sure sound defensive so I hope this don't come off wrong. I'm just trying to give some insight to the method of my madness.

Buddy ---- if you have been doing this for 20 years and have been making a living at it then I just gota say that you don't have to be defensive. No apologies if a guy is successful. Wish I could do that for twenty years and be my own boss.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:14 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
FloridaEdd wrote:

Buddy ---- if you have been doing this for 20 years and have been making a living at it then I just gota say that you don't have to be defensive. No apologies if a guy is successful. Wish I could do that for twenty years and be my own boss.

Sounds like a good living. Enjoy it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm 

dipnadactyl wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
FloridaEdd wrote:

Sounds like a good living. Enjoy it

I agree!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:19 pm 

Nice score man! congrats :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:04 pm 

Shit, you blew that place up! VERY good deals on that crap. You've got a great eye for spotting a profit.. both legally and without sacrificing morals. Hats off to you.

I have a little dinky MSC Iron Worker here that cost me $5500.

Buying stuff like that for a dollar or two really does sound like a Hollywood creation. You might want to develop a backend sales strategy (Edd's Auction University) and go talk to that producer buddy. Don't forget, Jesse James and Paul Sr/Jr made their fortunes selling tee shirts, not choppers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:21 pm 

As I read back over this I sure sound defensive so I hope this don't come off wrong. I'm just trying to give some insight to the method of my madness.[/quote]

Hey Edd, don't feel like you have to defend yourself. Your business is your business. My wife and I let her parents house sit for 6 years before we finally decided to clean it up and sell it. Her parents had no idea what kind of a mess they left their daughter. Even though she was raised with it she wanted nothing to do with it and neither did I. After that experience we both started purging anything we haven't used in a while. We don't want to leave our kids the mess her parents left her. "One mans junk is another man's treasure" is such a TRUE statement!! I'm certain you and the others on the board would be delighted to have what we threw away. a 55 chevy, 42 Willy's, multiple Honda's, Chevy's, a Gremlin, a Greenbrier, weedeaters, table saws, drill presses, honda 4 wheeler, riding lawn mower, all sorts of tools, etc....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 pm 

Duneit wrote:
FloridaEdd wrote:

Glad to hear it's all a business. All I can say is the pics of your shop full of stuff reminded me of having to empty my in laws 60x80 foot barn. It was that full. Probably thousands of dollars worth of stuff but I threw it all away. Don't have the time to try and sell it. There was sh!t everywhere on the property. Until you are the one who inherits it and has to deal with it it's all good.

I am a commercial construction contractor. Over the last few decades I've cleared out SO MANY old warehouses, storespaces, etc as the first piece of business when we are preparing to build something new. I've done this in the majority of our US states and even hosted a little competition with my coworkers regarding who could pull off the vanishing act the fastest (so we could get to work). In most areas there is always some reciprocal, attractive deal you can discuss with the right fella to make it all go away.. Take the bad to get the good. To some people almost nothing looks like garbage, and most times, they have some pretty good reasons for such a thought process.

I'm really not at liberty to elaborate any more without risking some legal disclosure issues from Edd's Auction University.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 am 

Sorry. Double post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:06 am 

John hit the nail right on the head.
Anyone who may find themselves in a situation like Duneit's ,,,as over whelming as it may seem,is a easy fix. My friend who is an auctioneer specializes in estates.
Alot of his estates are from people out of state who have a family members property they need to "liquidate" before they can sell the land. He may make an offer to buy it all and clean the property of everything,trash and all. Depending on the situation but we will use Duneit's situation for an example.
An auctioneer would have a live on site auction. In youre situation you may know there is a coin collection somewhere and u know there are numerous guns or other items that u know are there but u have no idea where. You can sell everything with the stipulation that you get all of the firearms and jewlrey or what ever it may be. Obiously good items would be pulled out and put in the yard for sale. Really good items will be removed for sale latter online. A large warehouse like u described would have the few $$ items pulled out and would sell the contents of the ware house in one lot or may break it down into different sections and sell each section.
Vehicles that may have value would be sold separately.
There are people who are scrap buyers. That's all they buy,scrap metal. He would auction off everything not sold in one huge lot. The scrap buyers bring in there own dumpsters and they get every piece of metal including cars.
Once the pony show is over he brings in dumpsters , a tractor and some minimum wage back bone.
When he is done everything is gone,you have money in ur pocket and the nightmare never happened.
If you can't agree on a selling price u can have the auctioneer do the auction for a percentage of the selling price. 30 to 50% depending on the situation. Both scenarios require no money out of ur pocket and you need not be present for the sale.

I use the good with the bad technique at storage auctions. As u can imagine I'm not a cool kid there either.
I specialize in commercial equipment storage units. Restaurants,telecomunications,construction ect. There may be a unit full of household items that I don't care about but there is a 2000$ piece I can see in the back of the unit and I want it. I'll buy the unit take whatever I want and let one of my few friends that have a retail store take what ever I don't want. Clean out the complete storage unit and sweep it clean. Depending on what I leave them I get some money,if it's nothing great it just goes away. They don't bid against me because they know they will get everything except what I may want.
With the stipulation I get jewelry and guns. I have aquired many nice firearms from storage units over the years. I get more excited to find a Beretta then a,4000$ fryer.

Now I would be doing u guys a disservice if I did not point out not every buy is a "good hit" a 600$ load of scrap may have cost me thousands to buy the items being scrapped. You can't be scared to thrown down cash on a gamble. I bought a crate last year a university was too lazy to open. It was a crap shoot. A true gamble. Could of been full of paper plates. I paid 1000$ for it. Turns out it had about 10k in communication equipment in it. I sold all of it to a guy in the Netherlands. The trick is not knowing what to buy. It's knowing what not to buy.
My stock pile is my buffer zone. If I buy a 1500$ unit and loose my ass my inventory takes up the slack and has no effect on my business. That kind of loss will shut down a new guy fast. This buffer is what allows me to run people up and run people off. Storage buyers hate new people and do everything they can to make them go away.
There is a local university that was my bread and butter for years.
Buyers would travel from south florida,lousiana,Alabama to attend this sale and I would let them know they were in my house and all this shit is mine. Now I have no overhead. All my equipment is paid for,I have no employees so I can always pay more then someone who has travel expenses and overhead like employees,huge warehouses ect. I would caculate selling price of an item,my cost to process and sell that item and I would go to the point of no profit left and drop it on them. Other times I just buy everything regardless of cost so they go home with nothing. And that's not enough. During the sale I let them know I'm just running them up. I know right about now you guys must be thinking I'm a total dick. That is how I have to be. I don't want u leaving an auction with a,warm fuzzy feeling. I want to get in ur head and piss u off so u don't come back. I've interrupted auctioneers before and looked at the person bidding against me and have said ( hope u have more money then me because I'm not gonna stop bidding) and this intimidation usually stops them in there tracks. I don't buy computers. Just not my thing but I will buy them if I don't want u to get anything and right after I win it I'll give the pallet of computers to a computer buyer I know. Right in front of u I just give to them for no $$$ .
These intimidation tactics keep people from wanting to bid against me. Who wants to enter a game when they know they can't win and may be made to look foolish. Not many.

I spent 60k one year running off an Orlando buyer. Yes I may loose money right then but when they don't come back I more then make it up.
I have open credit with many auctioneers. They don't want me to stop bidding just because I'm out of money. Just me being there makes them bank weather I buy an item or not. In fact it's not so much what I buy but what I make other people pay for what they buy that brings in the money.
Two tips i can give is never spend money u can't afford to loose and buy what u like because u may get stuck with it if it's not valuable. Case in point. I have a friend who wants to be me. I told him about a Merril Haggard guitar another friend of mine bought for 300$. I think it was worth a few thousand. Anyway in an attempt to show me how smart he was he contacted my other friend and struck a deal to buy the guitar for 1/2 of what it was worth and proceeded to talk bad about my friend he bought it from like he was an idiot for selling it so cheap. He peacocked around for about 24 hours. Well guess what It was a knock off. Total fake. I knew the minute I saw it. It was Worth the 300 originally paid. It's sitting in his closet and he dose not play any instruments. Serves him right, it's not easy being me.
I'm not a wealthy man. Not at all as defined by society, But I measure my wealth by my free time. My brother in law owns a automotive repair shop. He makes bank,big house,numerous toys,classic cars ect. He works 50+hours a week and his wife works as well. I'd call him successful but at what cost?
I sell enough to pay my bills and live what I consider to be a comfortable life. I loose money all the time(everyone wants a sure thing but the money is in a gamble) but as long as I make more then I loose I'm good.

In 1998 I was between jobs. I saw,a show on 20/20 I think it was and the show was about this new thing "Ebay" I thought that's me. I went the next day to toys r us and bought some planet of the apes action figures that were on clearance. Took them home,took a picture and listed them. I was tickled to death when someone sent me money the first time. I did this for about 6 months while the wife worked at her state job. She started turning bitter because I just chilled out all day and was making good money. I finally had to sit her down and let her know this is what I'm gonna do and she had two choices,,quit her job and get on board or kick rocks because the understandable bitterness was gonna destroy us.
Been married 22 years now. Our business helps us get through any issues we may run in to because we're to gather 24/7 and have to make it work. I don't think either of us would do it with out the other.

Wow that's long

I think I just spent more time fixing my spelling and grammar then I did originally writing it. Never said I was a scholar ,,,guess that's spelled right. Lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:38 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
I'm not a wealthy man. Not at all as defined by society, But I measure my wealth by my free time. My brother in law owns a automotive repair shop. He makes bank,big house,numerous toys,classic cars ect. He works 50+hours a week and his wife works as well. I'd call him successful but at what cost?
I sell enough to pay my bills and live what I consider to be a comfortable life. I loose money all the time(everyone wants a sure thing but the money is in a gamble) but as long as I make more then I loose I'm good.

Well this part of your statement strikes home to me and I have to comment.
Right after high school I got hired on by a company that I worked for while I was still in school. I was hired as a millwrights helper. Worked there for 25yrs. I worked steady graveyard shift for almost all of it. I had no social life because of that shift and when the place finally closed I was 40yrs old. None of us got any severance pay. A lot of the time we were scum according to the company. We were only hero's when the joint was broke down and we got it running. Almost all of the crew I worked with were divorced. Everyone on graveyard shift had no wife and no life. I wasted my life working for those scum bags and making them millionaires. Then they kick us into the street without any severance. It went to court and we lost. So now at 57 I do not work nights and I do not work full time and I do not work for any employer that does not treat me like I am a hero. Respect shouldn't be that hard. My employer has to make money. I hope he makes lots because that is good for me too. But he better show me respect or he can fix the crap himself.
I am now 57, have no wife and no kids. I wasted my life. Don't let that happen to you.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say that I don't have any kids because I sort of do have some. My brother has two daughters. The oldest is 23 now. She had many friends. Every day after school I would pick up all of the girls and take them to McDonalds for a happy meal or take them to my mom's for a baked potatoe. Most of the time we went to mom's. Then we would play until supper time and I took them all home. We played fire ball, Octopus and deer hunter. These were games I made up. Deer hunter is not a politically correct game. The girls were deer and I was the hunter. I would hide in the house and they would try to find me. When they found me I would try to shoot'm with the nerf gun. If they got hit I would chop'm up for deer sausage (tickle them and yell chop chop deer sausage). Sounds juvenile and it is but we had fun. We played those games from kindergarten until they were in high school and then I wasn't cool anymore. Two years ago one of those girls moved in with me for a year until she found a boy friend and then moved out. They still after all these years call me Uncle Udo and on rare occasions we go for dinner. I call them my daughters and I wish them sunshine and happiness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:03 pm 

Well that just sucks. I could give instances where I can relate but nothing that would make any difference. It's just real shitty of them to do that. The human factor is never a factor it seems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 pm 

Well that's cool. I feel better now. Had me so depressed I was thinking of hanging myself. Glad I checked the forum first.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:47 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Well that's cool. I feel better now. Had me so depressed I was thinking of hanging myself. Glad I checked the forum first.

Yup all I got say is when you look in the mirror you better realize how FN lucky you really are.

I will say that I am lucky to because at least I didn't get sued by an ex wife like everyone on night shift did. Now that would really suck. A lot of stories on that I can tell you. Unbelievable stuff.

Your a lucky man FloridaEdd ----------------- believe it, believe it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:31 pm 

Belive me I have my issues. What I do is a lonely job. Most people u meet doing it you have to keep at arms length. Many just want to know how to do what I do Or figure out where I get my stuff.
You have ur brother and I think u may be under estimating the value of that connection.
You're a lucky man in my eyes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 pm 

So I cut out the rusted area on the Engine mount plate. Welded the
Three metal plates together with a square area on each plate butted up to gather which runs in the area I cut out. Also welded in two chains the the frame to my repair plate for support just incase. The platest came from a huge 8' tall computer server I have sitting out here. Walked around for an hour trying to figure what to use. They are good and solid.
My shirt was wet with sweat and I managed to ground myself to the chassis. That was interesting but not the first time I've shocked myself really good.
In pic 3 the open area had a plate fitted and welded in to make it solid.
So my plate is in and it's time to start it. Put gas in. Checked the carb and it was clean turn the key and nothing. Jumped the starter and it did not engage. Took the starter out and cleaned it up put it back in and nothing.
So I pulled the ignition switch out of the other and it cranked over. Took a few times to fill the carb but it started right up and idled nice.
Gonna get an ignition switch and a bed liner and take it to my mom.
I only got a few pics but will add the finished ones tomorrow
In the first pic u can see a pice of rusted metal under the rusted out area. That is a pice of sheet metal held in with self tapping screws. That's how the school district fixed it.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 61.17 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 60.32 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 76.27 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 77.52 KiB | Viewed 345 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 am 

The turnbuckles make sure the support is tight. It's welded in but u can never be to safe.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 75.25 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:42 am 

Once I finish the Drakart this will be my next project. Been on the back burner too long. Needs a head gasket.
That's a jeep soft top I made a frame for years ago.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 116.55 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 124 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm 

Holy crap you need to get a lot of that stuff under cover. I think I said that before LOL.
Especially things like that iron worker. You don't want high money stuff sitting out in the elements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

I tarp stuff up.smeared some grease on the blades of the iron worker. That's about as good as it gets. Something real high dollar that humidity will damage I take to my freight company and they stick it in the back of a trailer for me. ( one time they accidently shipped a item to Oregon. )

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next