Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 pm 

It is most Def a judgement call. And belive me it's all on me at this point. I'm walking the line between good and gone.
I'm gonna play it by ear tomorrow and hope for the best. I'd like all of it gone but I have to see how it looks.
I'm honing real slow and we'll oiled. Also working it in and out as I go.

It's so easy to ruin it all at this point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm 

So I took it down as much as I felt comfortable with at this time. 2.70 to 2.97. Depending in how I hold the caliper. My piston to cylinder clearance is .009 as measured with a feeler gauge.
Specs say it can be up to .031
I cleaned up the valves and the valves and seats are nice. I put gas in the head and none has leaked out. I will need valve seals but that's If this works out.
So it's cleaned up ,buttoned up and now I'm letting the silacone dry a little while the battery charges.

Good or bad we will have an answer today.
If it's too low I will hone it some more but I know how easy it is to get tunnel vision and taking too much off.

Good luck to me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
So I took it down as much as I felt comfortable with at this time. 2.70 to 2.97. Depending in how I hold the caliper. My piston to cylinder clearance is .009 as measured with a feeler gauge.
Specs say it can be up to .031
I cleaned up the valves and the valves and seats are nice. I put gas in the head and no has leaked out. I will need valve seals but that's If this works out.
So it's cleaned up ,buttoned up and now I'm letting the silacone dry a little while the battery charges.

Good or bad we will have an answer today.
If it's too low I will hone it some more but I know how easy it is to get tunnel vision and taking too much off.

Good luck to me

That thing will run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 pm 

Can't believe it myself. Gonna let it sit and check again tomorrow.
57psi is the minimum given in the manual. I don't know how anything would run with only 57psi

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 60.23 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 pm 

Soooooo

My other cylinder is reading 240psi.

What can expect with 110psi difference?
I'm thinking it sure won't idle too good.

So do I run it like it is,,do I hone it a little more?

My inclination is to run it like it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm 

Run it your good
By the way 240 sounds wrong. Way high.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:56 pm 

Now to order head,intake and exhaust gaskets and valve seals. Gonna have to pull the other head to do valve seals but a new head gasket sure can't hurt.

I'll flush the fuel system out and clean the carb while I'm waiting for parts.

I appreciate all ur input CO it really dose help me out.

That's what I thought but I checked it twice.
Maybe a hung up valve?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:12 pm 

Even with a hung valve it should not be that high. I think your gauge is crap. Check with another gauge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

Just checked both again and got 240/145. Next time I got 240/150.
I'm not gonna over think it. At this point it doesn't really matter I guess since I'm gonna move forward either way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
Just checked both again and got 240/145. Next time I got 240/150.
I'm not gonna over think it. At this point it doesn't really matter I guess since I'm gonna move forward either way.

I agree.
After you run it a bit I think that poo cylinder will come back to life. Yes it is lower now but it is still plenty good. It will "rub" in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 pm 

All in all I sure can't complain. And I also think it will settle in a bit.

It was interesting to see it clean up and rewarding that I got any compression at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 am 

Just thinking about the 240 reading and after I scoped that cylinder i put some oil in there and l wonder if that threw off my compression reading. That's about all I can think of.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 pm 

Got everything ordered and will be here in 3 days they tell me. Pulled the intake and the other head. It looked nice and the cylinder looked perfect. I'll clean them and do the seals which they had in stock.
Now to repair a hydraulic cylinder on my tractor and try to get the Dakart finished up while waiting on parts for this project.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 am 

So I disassembled the heads. Cleaned them up , fixed the broken intake bolt, lapped the valves ect.
So of course JD ordered me the wrong parts. I guess the vin number and Engine model number were not enough to get it right. Guess they needed a sperm sample as well.
As an ex parts man nothing bothers me more then shoddy parts people. I order my stuff online for this reason but I was already there picking up my seal kit. Ordered replacement parts last night so I'm on hold another week.
I started on the bed. There was rust in it when I bought it and it had the bed liner. Although I had a cover over the bed and the liner , the crap under the liner held enough moisture to rust it out. The frame work is solid and not rusted and I have about 8" of good steel on each side.
Knocked out the loose rust and will cut and grind out the rest.
Still working out what I want to use to replace the floor.
So back to finishing up the Drakart.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 79.81 KiB | Viewed 352 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 63.66 KiB | Viewed 352 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:16 pm 

FloridaEdd wrote:
So I disassembled the heads. Cleaned them up , fixed the broken intake bolt, lapped the valves ect.
So of course JD ordered me the wrong parts. I guess the vin number and Engine model number were not enough to get it right. Guess they needed a sperm sample as well.

Baahahahahahaahahha -- F me I run into that crap all the time here in Canada.
They don't want to pay the employee's anything so all you get are young people who job surf. You need people that will stay at your business a long time to get experience in the stuff your business manufactures or sells. But that don't happen anymore. Nobody has respect for anyone anymore and no one see's the other as being valuable. It goes both ways. Restaurants in the big city are shutting down to 3 days a week now because they can't find staff. It just cost to much to live in Vancouver B.C. The owners of some of those restaurants were on the local news begging the feds to allow more foreign works in on work visas. Not one word about paying their current employees a living wage. If Trump ever gets booted out of yankee land, I hope he comes here an runs for prime minister, I'll vote for him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm 

I'll follow him up there.
Good parts men are hard to find and when u do u have to pay real money as there are always people trying to hijack the good ones.
I was a good one. That was the only job I genuinely enjoyed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm 

I just have to add no one ever calls me when my parts are in. Oh we will call u as soon as we get them.
All u have to do is call me to tell me my order is there and I'm happy. That's how society has lowered me expectations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm 

Parts arrived today. Heads are reassembled and torqued down. Started cleaning the carb out. Was so gunked up you could not see the main jet. Has about 1/8th" of thick gunk. I'll have it looking new tomorrow.
Think I may be able to try to start tomorrow evening.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 pm 

Main jet

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 33.78 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:08 pm 

It runs. Runs smooth. I need to clean the carb a little better as it will only idle with the choke part way on. Idle circuit must be clogged but that's little stuff.

So as I was working on it today it seized on me. Would only catch sometimes. I was ready to pull it out. My guess is the other cylinder must of had some rust down low where I could not see it. I shot some oil in there and worked it for a second and freeEd right up and never caught again.
I idled it for about 30 minutes checking the with a temp gun and let it run until the thermostat opened up.
Backed it up the driveway a bit and all is good.
I'm far from done. Now I can start on other things I wasn't gonna mess with until it ran.
I need tubes for rear tires.
Need to check the cooling fan to make sure it's good.
Gonna get an inline temp sensor mount to mount a real temp gauge. Make some battery cables. New battery,make a winch bumper,get a winch , Seats,fix fenders,make a new roof,fix the bed,wire and mount my GPS unit from my boat and on and on.

Another good day to be. That was two in one week. I might get one of those a month.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:20 pm 

Nothing new to see but here it is

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 69.03 KiB | Viewed 297 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 pm 

Checked out the cooling fan and it was bad. I replaced it,mounted the battery,fixed some chewed wires and neatened up the wire harness.
So I'm done with the back end now to move up front,I can see some chewed wires I will fix ( I cut out the chewed sections and solder them and heat shrink them.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 pm 

So I fixed the chewed wires under the hood and taped up the harness. Ushually I don't tape them up but the only chewed wires I had were not wrapped in tape.
Got all the lights and horn working too.
Started running rough yesterday after I thoroughly cleaned the carb. Had me scratching my head then I realized there was water in my gas. About 40% water. So I drained it and used rags on a stick to mop up all the gas that the pump didn't get.
So it's running better. Running without the choke on but I can hear a popping in the exhaust. Then it hit me that I shaved/sanded the heads which effected my valve lash.
The valves in the rusted cylinder had no play in them.
It's the simple things that give me issues.
Once I adjusted them it smoothed out good.
Tubed two wheels. I destroyed a tube because I did not check the tire for nails before I installed the tube. Oops
I replaced the fuel.pump just to be safe. I left the original one installed so I can switch back should my pump ever go out.
I bought a winch for it and it should be here this week I'm guessing.

Need to replace the bearings in a front knuckle as it has a little play and change over the front tires.

Im about to have to stop dicking around with this and get the yard cleaned up for thanksgiving. We have it at our house every year and that's when I run around playing catch up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

Baahahahaha with all that dicking around you almost rebuilt the whole machine LOL.
Probably could have bought a new one :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:34 pm 

This coming from the guy who is building a pilot from scratch.

You know me. I'm not out of pocket much on this. My time is free. Hell anything that occupies my mind is a win.
I could most likely get a used one for about 3 to 4k and I'm far from that.

Profile E-mail