Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot runaway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm 

So after letting my pilots sit for a couple months I started then up and the one began to rev really high once I started it. Like almost running away, so I opened the carb up and it looked clean so I blew out the jets and put it back together and same thing. So after messing with it I found that if I pulled the choke out it would make it idle down. But if I pushed the choke back out it would rev up again. I’m thinking air leak? What are your guys thoughts and or experiences with this

Attachments:

310BBD37-8A8D-4DAA-B76D-047B8EC26BD9.MOV [ 8.28 MiB | Viewed 618 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot runaway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm 

My money says air leak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

Where? Intake boot?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

Honestly it could be anywhere.
Your gona have to do a pressure/vacuum test.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am 

Look close at the cylinder base gasket. My money is that it has blown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 pm 

I watched the video on YouTube of i believe it was atv racing doing a leak down test on a pilot Engine and the guy from the video said Honda Pilot cylinders are sometimes pourious around the studs. How common is this and if so how do you fix it? Just out of curiosity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
I watched the video on YouTube of i believe it was atv racing doing a leak down test on a pilot Engine and the guy from the video said Honda Pilot cylinders are sometimes pourious around the studs. How common is this and if so how do you fix it? Just out of curiosity.

At this point I think you are really reaching.
If you do have a hole all you can do is weld it up or if you are mickey mouse like me you could JB Weld it.
Don't laugh, my race car had a peripheral port rotary and the intake tubes are JB Welded in place.

Your reaching buddy. Just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm 

Okay, i don’t get home till this weekend to test it just one other thing i saw when people were pressure testing their 2 stroke engines they wanted the piston at its lowest possible position I’m curious does that ring true when testing pilot engines as well?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
Okay, i don’t get home till this weekend to test it just one other thing i saw when people were pressure testing their 2 stroke engines they wanted the piston at its lowest possible position I’m curious does that ring true when testing pilot engines as well?

Yes
All you have to do is make sure the ports are not covered by the piston. Anywhere close to BDC is good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 pm 

Any idea where i can get the seal i need?

Attachments:
0B94F7E9-47D7-471F-850F-304D51379F75.jpeg
0B94F7E9-47D7-471F-850F-304D51379F75.jpeg [ 55.37 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 pm 

Another

Attachments:
A9B429A7-3D8F-439D-BF4B-92543464F4C8.jpeg
A9B429A7-3D8F-439D-BF4B-92543464F4C8.jpeg [ 63.24 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 pm 

Carb

Attachments:
A87DB92E-5E57-4667-A19A-3C21E193421D.jpeg
A87DB92E-5E57-4667-A19A-3C21E193421D.jpeg [ 68.9 KiB | Viewed 513 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

Should be able to get one at Honda.
Service Honda shows that seal as being available.
OIL SEAL (30X45X8) (ARAI)
Part #91203-KS6-004 $9.00

Not sure if this link will work for you: https://www.servicehonda.com/oemparts/a ... /crankcase

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 am 

I saw hosers tool he made for installing the clutch side seal on the pilot, and I saw that he greased the seal up before installing it But i was wondering of any kind of other techniques people were using putting these seals back on? Because i don’t have the machining know how to make that tool and would rather not spend the money and buy one.
I also forgot to mention behind the seal that was leaking i found a good amount of dirt, is this normal because the seal was not sealed 100% or does that allude that there is another problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 am 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
I saw hosers tool he made for installing the clutch side seal on the pilot, and I saw that he greased the seal up before installing it But i was wondering of any kind of other techniques people were using putting these seals back on? Because i don’t have the machining know how to make that tool and would rather not spend the money and buy one.
I also forgot to mention behind the seal that was leaking i found a good amount of dirt, is this normal because the seal was not sealed 100% or does that allude that there is another problem.

Dirt got past the seal.
You can put the seal in with a socket the same OD as the seal and tap it in with a hammer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:04 am 

You could also use a pipe same OD but MAKE SURE no sharp edges.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am 

Finally got the pilot fixed and running good. I replaced the seal and it still was running really high and after hours of confusion and frustration, a buddy of mine came over and realized that the throttle cable tensioner on the back of wheel was out and causing the cable to be pulled a little extra thus giving it more throttle and running at what I thought was a high idle. But pushing the throttle nothing felt different so I never suspected something like that. Possibly one of the stupidest fixes I’ve ever had with the pilot... I’m speechless

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 pm 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
Finally got the pilot fixed and running good. I replaced the seal and it still was running really high and after hours of confusion and frustration, a buddy of mine came over and realized that the throttle cable tensioner on the back of wheel was out and causing the cable to be pulled a little extra thus giving it more throttle and running at what I thought was a high idle. But pushing the throttle nothing felt different so I never suspected something like that. Possibly one of the stupidest fixes I’ve ever had with the pilot... I’m speechless

Thx for coming back and letting us all know.
It's frustrating when you try to help out a newbie or someone else but they don't ever come back to complete the thread.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:10 pm 

Sorry if I’ve done that in the past, but as of now the bottom end seal is fixed and the throttle tension nut on the steering wheel is re threaded in. So as of now machine runs good, thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm 

When I first got the pilot put back together with the new seal. it started it and it began leaking fuel out of the exhaust port! This was later discovered to be the problem with the throttle cable adjustment. Should I worry about that amount of fuel getting into the bottom end ? Or would it burn off over time. And if I’m thinking correctly the fuel that was leaking out of my exhaust port would not get into the bottom end oil because oil is only in the balanced gears correct?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 pm 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
When I first got the pilot put back together with the new seal. it started it and it began leaking fuel out of the exhaust port! This was later discovered to be the problem with the throttle cable adjustment. Should I worry about that amount of fuel getting into the bottom end ? Or would it burn off over time. And if I’m thinking correctly the fuel that was leaking out of my exhaust port would not get into the bottom end oil because oil is only in the balanced gears correct?

1) You should not have a bottom end full of fuel. Are you sure it's fuel and not radiator water ?? That's my guess. Fuel would burn off before it got out the exhaust. You might want to check your rad water level.
2) Oil is mixed with the fuel so your bottom end bearings get oil.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 pm 

Yeah it was fuel and I topped off the coolant once I put it all back together. It was low because I lost some when taking the carb off. I’m still confused as to why fuel would come out of the exhaust port when the machine was running. It was running but very crappy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
Yeah it was fuel and I topped off the coolant once I put it all back together. It was low because I lost some when taking the carb off. I’m still confused as to why fuel would come out of the exhaust port when the machine was running. It was running but very crappy.

Well then if it really is fuel then your float valve is not closing and flooding the Engine.
You got any fuel dripping out of the over flow hose ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm 

No fuel out of the overflow, but I did adjust the float a little when it stated doing this. I messed up by adjusting the float and then finding out the problem about he cancel adjustments. I fixed more than one variable at a time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 am 

PilotJunkie_87 wrote:
Another

I don't know how to add pictures when quoting but the picture with all the oil all over the frame. Shouldn't that be concerning?

Profile E-mail