Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Titles, VINs on FL350's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm 

So i want to get my Oddy and quad titled. For the never-titled pree-1999 ATVs, here in Ohio they only require the vin (pic, rubbing or actual eyes on it) and a signed affidavit claiming ownership. And fees of course. Simple.

The vin on my '88 Suzuki quad is legible enough. However the vin on my oddy is like 90% legible. I can make out all the numbers & letters because i know some of them are standard. Some shmo at the bmv won't.

Will the bmv raise a stink about perfect legibility on a 33yr old buggy?

Thanks!

Dan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 pm 

Strange you mention this topic, a couple of guys mentioned doing a ride in PA I think but the place requires every unit be titled, registered and insured. Can anyone answer the previous post above, as well as answer a few of my add on questions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:50 pm 

Yep, need to get legit to avoid hassles. =)

My suzuki quad VIN comes up on the search / decoder sites, but the Oddy does not. Similar experiences?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm 

Well i just got shot down at the title agency for getting titles for these old birds. Since I'm not the original owner nor can i produce any proof of ownership (dealer reciept, invoice, etc) they can't do squat. I'd have to back and try to find the people i bought them from 10+ years ago and pray they're the original owners with their proof (title, receipt, invoice, etc). Bummer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:15 pm 

that's the same thing that happened here two years ago when the govt changed the rules here. Before that you didn't need anything. It was a disaster for a while. But here you just have to go to a notary, swear on a bible, givem $$ and your golden. I am going to have to do that for the death machine soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 pm 

Here in Texas, you have to take it to the sheriffs office to have the vehicle inspected and for them to obtain the vin to run a check that it is not stolen. After that, you must get a surety bond, then finally you can apply for a title. Lastly it is up to TXDOT weather they will supply a title, if you have meet all the requirements. Costly and a pain in the ass!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am 

I’m in Illinois and their titling procedure is normally a complete shit show, that’s why I figured I wouldn’t even try. My machines are up in Michigan, I’m thinking when I finally move there I might try then, easier titling state.

At least I’m not alone, sounds like it’s a joke in a bunch of other locations. Thanks for responding!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm 

Ohio bmv has a title search and you can see what county the vehicle is titled in. Unfortunately the title bureau won't give you the previous owners information. I'm assuming you have to go through them to get the title. From what I understand of the process:

1. State contacts owner, owner has choice to say if it was stolen, sold, or say money is still owed.
2. Vehicles May go up for public auction if no one claims it, you get to buy it.

I was going to start the title process on my fl350 and my trx400ex for insurance to ride on public land (PA) but I'm not sure. I feel like I would surrender the vehicles to the state and May not get them back.

There is also a vin search to see if the vehicle is stolen. I'll see if I can dig up the links.

Has anyone else been successful with this process or provide me with some insight?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:56 pm 

Just had 3 FL350's and a 86 Atc 250r titled in michigan. They did a stolen vin check on all 4, and with bill's of sale, and some dollars out of my pocket I had no issues on getting titles. Lied about what I paid so I wouldn't have to pay the tax but I'm already going to hell anyways so nbd.

Profile E-mail