Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New paddles for the 420!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 am 

I trashed my 24" Skat Traks extremes on the big Western ride so I was "Jones'ing" for something new. I got these from a guy at Walden. He had them on a fairly stock 350 but didn't have the ponies to push em hard. They are like new Sand Tires Unlimited Sand Blasters 26-12(26" tall by 12" wide) molded, not vulcanized, light weight racing paddle. For comparisons, the Extremes were 24" tall by 9.5" wide with eight 7/8" tall paddles. The Blasters have 16 1" tall paddles but also weigh 4.5 pounds more than the extremes. I shouldn't rip off the paddles anymore though. He said he gave well over $600 for the tires/rims and I got them for $200. Not too bad?

If my 420 doesn't have the HP then hopefully the 600AC EFI will. If it still too much tire, then I am sure one of the Drak guys may be interested.

Attachments:
MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG [ 80.76 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-003F.JPG [ 59.32 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]
File comment: I still have the Engine pulled apart.
MVC-004F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG [ 71.12 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:55 am 

Nuke Em wrote:
I trashed my 24" Skat Traks extremes on the big Western ride so I was "Jones'ing" for something new. I got these from a guy at Walden. He had them on a fairly stock 350 but didn't have the ponies to push em hard. They are like new Sand Tires Unlimited Sand Blasters 26-12(26" tall by 12" wide) molded, not vulcanized, light weight racing paddle. For comparisons, the Extremes were 24" tall by 9.5" wide with eight 7/8" tall paddles. The Blasters have 16 1" tall paddles but also weigh 4.5 pounds more than the extremes. I shouldn't rip off the paddles anymore though. He said he gave well over $600 for the tires/rims and I got them for $200. Not too bad?

If my 420 doesn't have the HP then hopefully the 600AC EFI will. If it still too much tire, then I am sure one of the Drak guys may be interested.

Oh great how far behind you will I be at the top of the hill when you install them suckers LMAO Guess I will have to replace my worn out (for sand any ways) stock rear Pilot tires so I can keep up or at least not come to a stop when I hit the dry powder at the top heh where is that video of you me and Dennis anyways?

Looks like too much tire to me but I guess you can clutch it in?

420 running?

How much you want for your old paddles yours still probably get better traction than my stockers with the edge worn off?

Maybe I can take a grinder and grind a new edge on mine?

Dennis what are you running your tired didnt seem to roost high like others I have seen in the past.

Attachments:
no-more-edge.jpg
no-more-edge.jpg [ 94.23 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm 

I may hang onto the 24" for a little while yet, trying to convince Skat Trak to warranty the paddles(ya right, good luck). Worth a shot, right?

You may be better off just getting some paddles,(I know you don't like em), to drag race and climb with. The sand did round the edges pretty well too.

As far as the 420, I have re-prepped the piston(took the ceramic coating off everwhere except the center, removed the teflon, and used 120 grit to add fresh, oil holding scratches/grooves, cleaned/opened the ring grooves where the damage was). I am still really scared about re-using that piston. There is over 20 thousands gap in places and I don't believe she will last. My next option is just get another 88.5 piston being that the bore is resonably good. My next option is bore it again to 89MM(425CC). Worst case is just re sleeve it and start over.

Fed and I did some CSI stuff last Friday and did discover a few wierd things. The YZ 490 piston is factory eyebrowed on one side only and the wrist pin is off set to compensate for the weight difference. I had to take just over 3/8 of an inch off the bottom of one side of the skirt to allow clearence of the piston on the down stroke(short rod,68mm). That would cause a balance issue at high RPM and maybe the abnormal wear on the piston. My next suggestion would have to be longer rod and base spacer so I would not need to remove material from the piston. I also thought about removing more material from the eyebrowed side to more balance the piston. Ofcourse I need to watch all the port areas so not to effect them. I know you have a CR500 rod Hoser, Do you still have the specs on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:49 pm 

hoser wrote:
Nuke Em wrote:

Oh great how far behind you will I be at the top of the hill when you install them suckers LMAO Guess I will have to replace my worn out (for sand any ways) stock rear Pilot tires so I can keep up or at least not come to a stop when I hit the dry powder at the top heh where is that video of you me and Dennis anyways?

Looks like too much tire to me but I guess you can clutch it in?

420 running?

How much you want for your old paddles yours still probably get better traction than my stockers with the edge worn off?

Maybe I can take a grinder and grind a new edge on mine?

Dennis what are you running your tires didnt seem to roost high like others I have seen in the past.

Gary
Will those fit without wheel spacers ?
If those don't seem to work out for you I'll buy them...
I also still have a 10 paddle 22x11x10 Skat Trak Haulers in great shape and one missing 4 paddles - Did your trash both of yours ??

Hoser
I was running the 11 paddle 25x12x10 Skat Trak Extreme Haulers on the 670 - They seem to hookup real well and didn't throw the sand very high...
I very much like them :-)

Dennis

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
I may hang onto the 24" for a little while yet, trying to convince Skat Trak to warranty the paddles(ya right, good luck). Worth a shot, right?

You may be better off just getting some paddles,(I know you don't like em), to drag race and climb with. The sand did round the edges pretty well too.

As far as the 420, I have re-prepped the piston(took the ceramic coating off everwhere except the center, removed the teflon, and used 120 grit to add fresh, oil holding scratches/grooves, cleaned/opened the ring grooves where the damage was). I am still really scared about re-using that piston. There is over 20 thousands gap in places and I don't believe she will last. My next option is just get another 88.5 piston being that the bore is resonably good. My next option is bore it again to 89MM(425CC). Worst case is just re sleeve it and start over.

Fed and I did some CSI stuff last Friday and did discover a few wierd things. The YZ 490 piston is factory eyebrowed on one side only and the wrist pin is off set to compensate for the weight difference. I had to take just over 3/8 of an inch off the bottom of one side of the skirt to allow clearence of the piston on the down stroke(short rod,68mm). That would cause a balance issue at high RPM and maybe the abnormal wear on the piston. My next suggestion would have to be longer rod and base spacer so I would not need to remove material from the piston. I also thought about removing more material from the eyebrowed side to more balance the piston. Ofcourse I need to watch all the port areas so not to effect them. I know you have a CR500 rod Hoser, Do you still have the specs on it?

I still have the CR500 rod kit but its getting closer to evilbay with each day that passes I need to clean out my shop and evilbay some stuff I know I will never be using again maybe even the wifes Pilot...
http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=2039

What specs you need off the rod I think wiseco has rod specs in their PDF's you can download off their site.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:34 pm 

What I need to know is if will fit on the 350 crank, not worried about the top end. CR500 pistons start at 89MM, which will work. I do need to check ring to dome hieght but I can adjust that with the spacer size too. If it is a larger crank pin, I guess I can always have it bored larger, and/or moved to add a longer throw(stroker), but that is alot of work and big bucks. It would be a very unique motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). HHmmmmmmmm??????????????

Oh, your site does not like the drag race clip. I can send it directly to you if you give me an email address. PM me if you want at biggarystud@peoplepc.com.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:41 pm 

Dennis, The offset is fine. 10" wide rim,6 out, 4 in. If they somehow don't work for me, I'll give you first shot. They have a stacked bolt pattern, the larger is 4X130(ody/pilot/VW sandrail?). The lug holes are very large so I may add new smaller holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:24 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
What I need to know is if will fit on the 350 crank, not worried about the top end. CR500 pistons start at 89MM, which will work. I do need to check ring to dome hieght but I can adjust that with the spacer size too. If it is a larger crank pin, I guess I can always have it bored larger, and/or moved to add a longer throw(stroker), but that is alot of work and big bucks. It would be a very unique motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). HHmmmmmmmm??????????????

Oh, your site does not like the drag race clip. I can send it directly to you if you give me an email address. PM me if you want at biggarystud@peoplepc.com.

Gary

My email address is pilot400@mchsi.com you can get it anytime you click on the "Email" button at the bottom of a users post.

You can also get to my web page by clicking on the WWW button

Profile E-mail