Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: worn out clutch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:00 pm 

Has anyone exploded a clutch because it was worn out? Mine is a powerbloc.Wanting to get
feedback to how bad you think it is. Wanting to get throught the summer, Then I plan on putting in a Motorcycle Engine in if I can find one at a good price.

Attachments:
100_2972_2.JPG
100_2972_2.JPG [ 161.02 KiB | Viewed 5255 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: worn out clutch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:59 pm 

rocket wrote:
Has anyone exploded a clutch because it was worn out? Mine is a powerbloc.Wanting to get
feedback to how bad you think it is. Wanting to get throught the summer, Then I plan on putting in a Motorcycle Engine in if I can find one at a good price.

You do a lot of riding at low rpm and speeds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:07 pm 

Nope, the engagment was way extreme, and I would need to putt it through deep water crossings so the belt slipped alot when it was in the sandy water. Other than that its WFO.
What do you think, Is it safe to finish the summer out. I just got a new spring from CV Tech
to lower the engagement, so that's better, but now that I have the clutch off I don't know if
I should put it back on and run it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

rocket wrote:
Nope, the engagment was way extreme, and I would need to putt it through deep water crossings so the belt slipped alot when it was in the sandy water. Other than that its WFO.
What do you think, Is it safe to finish the summer out. I just got a new spring from CV Tech
to lower the engagement, so that's better, but now that I have the clutch off I don't know if
I should put it back on and run it.

Sure why not continue to run it you know the condition and the risk avoid low speed keep a eye on it once it wears through it will eat up a belt quickly

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:57 am 

I'm guessing this is sarcasm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:06 am 

rocket wrote:
I'm guessing this is sarcasm

No I am serious the clutch was working for you before you noticed the wear?

I have seen clutches used so long it wore a hole in the clutch faces then ate up the belt before the owner noticed the wear and knew anything was wrong.

You know its worn and can wear through so keep a eye on it check it after each ride day when it wears out to the point it will eat up your belt you know you will be walking soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:40 pm 

stanks for the info

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:41 pm 

Ok I can't spell, I meant (Thanks for the info)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 pm 

rocket wrote:
Ok I can't spell, I meant (Thanks for the info)

Same here Firefox catches most my stupidity but not all lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm 

My powerblock wore the same way, and I know the one on Assuiehoons (my old Pilot) wore that way also. One was a HRD powerblock and one an ALT powerblock. I NEVER ride slow and only idle for very short periods of time. I plan on running mine until it wears though and flies off before changing it out.

What belt are you running???? Both my Pilots had the 4x4 tuff belts. Not sure if that has anything to do with the wear pattern or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31 am 

Mine is a daco belt, I'm getting a clutch from NELLY. Its a 94c I've never had one of these, I hope they're as simple as the PB. Anyone know what the stock engagment is on a 94 ( how many weights and what spring?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:16 pm 

rocket wrote:
Mine is a daco belt, I'm getting a clutch from NELLY. Its a 94c I've never had one of these, I hope they're as simple as the PB. Anyone know what the stock engagment is on a 94 ( how many weights and what spring?)

If your looking for simple you will like your 94c. I'm on my way to the shop now, I'll check the color on the stock spring. I believe they all use the same amount of pucks, 6, they're just different weights. I believe the heavier they are, the lower the engagement. I had known nothing about clutches at all and this made it super easy for me. I took mine completely apart, cleaned, and lubed it. I think you'll like your 94c, very simple and it works good. If I was looking for a clutch I wouldn't use anything else.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6719

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am 

Sorry, I got side tracked yesterday and didn't get a chance to check the spring color. I do believe it was green. The orange spring should be close. I'm using the yellow spring(4200), which is one RPM step up from orange, with stock weights and mine hits at a hair under 3600RPM.

Profile E-mail