Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...


PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png PilotOdyssey.com V2.0   
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 117
I would assume if your looking at this forum you may be aware that last weekend I rode my "Florida" or #2 pilot 20 miles or so and than melted it down. The plug looked pretty good, light brown, the only good news. Today I pulled the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and found two things.

1) The anti freeze drained out somewhere on the ride. It was basically empty. The radiator and overflow container were both full to the mark before leaving. I didn't notice any leaks or smell anti freeze while riding. Today I did notice the rear cooling line hose on the carburetor was half cocked and may have been the source of the leak. That coolant connection is right next to the carburetor's rear air boot clamp so I can see how I may have cocked it messing with pulling the carb for jetting.

2} The intake of the carb and the entire intake boot were filled with a fine dirt. The filter was a brand new Uni filter but it didn't appear the have any oil soaked on it. I replaced that filter new last winter and didn't think about spraying it with filter oil, too cold outside, or just to avoid the mess. I am now paying a huge price for that mistake, the dust conditions were brutal.

I got the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) pulled and will be taking it to Iron dogs Monday.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:28 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 am
Posts: 656
Location: Tallahassee Florida
At least u know what happened and how to avoid it next time.

Most of my issues are self induced and they are the ones that hurt the most .

Ps
I run two indicator lights. One comes on when my fan is on and one if my temp gets too high.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 117
FloridaEdd wrote:
I run two indicator lights. One comes on when my fan is on and one if my temp gets too high.


I didn't notice a temperature light coming on, not sure what light to look for on the steering. I just ordered 2 outerware prefilters. I will also be sure to soak both foam filters with filter oil. With the Engine out, I usually take the opportunity to clean and degrease the frame, wire wheel rust spots and mounting bolts, touch up paint frame and a arms. I will have a few weekends of cleaning before I get this Engine back.

Tomorrow I want to track down the air leak on the Ohio pilot. I am starting with the seal under the clutch.

Crap, the Pilot #2 ran great when I left the trailer, the thing was dialed in. No luck at all so far with the old Hondas..,.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 am
Posts: 656
Location: Tallahassee Florida
But u know when u repair it that you have corrected the issue and it will run great again. Maybe a little rich though because of having an oiled filter.
I look forward to ur progress.
I'd feel good right now if I were u but I know it doesn't look that way right now.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 117
Today I worked on Pilot #1 or the Ohio pilot. To recap, I got the Engine rebuilt but couldn't get jetting right. Online discussion pointed to an air leak still existing. I set up my homemade pressure tester and the pilot failed.

Today I took a closer look and first found and fixed a small leak on my tester itself. I finally was able to get my stuck clutch off and the side two lipped seal was not leaking. I went all over with a soapy spray bottle looking for bubbles but found none. I could hear a faint hissing sound which eventually led me to the fuel pump pulse line. I got a new hose and pinch clamps and it took care of that leak.

I pumped it up again and it held 6 psi for about 5 minutes. Iron dogs 1st Engine rebuild did not leak. Back to jetting. If I still have trouble jetting I may have to look closer at the carb.

Dropping #2 Engine off tomorrow at builders.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 am
Posts: 656
Location: Tallahassee Florida
That air leak was ur jetting issue. Will be much easier now especially since u have some previous experience jetting.
All in all good news.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 am
Posts: 751
Location: Norco, CA
Just a note about the Uni filters, I have found the best oil to be FFT or Bel Ray, the sticky stuff that is a mess to work with, I've tried Uni oil and it is too thin, I'm sure if you are racing and put a clean freshly oiled filter in before each race it's great but if it sits for any amount of time the oil will flow to the bottom of the filter and drain out, I suspect anything from an aerosol can is going to act similar.
I also use a filter skin on top oiled with K&N oil, this is just a pre filter for the uni and can be removed to reveal a clean uni, if out on a ride you can pull the skin off, knock off the stuck on sand or dirt and put it back.
I also use a dry K&N type filter with a prefilter on the air box lid modification. am I over doing it? haven't had any issues with sand getting to the Engine :)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 117
Kuma wrote:
Just a note about the Uni filters, I have found the best oil to be FFT or Bel Ray, the sticky stuff that is a mess to work with, I've tried Uni oil and it is too thin, I'm sure if you are racing and put a clean freshly oiled filter in before each race it's great but if it sits for any amount of time the oil will flow to the bottom of the filter and drain out, I suspect anything from an aerosol can is going to act similar.
I also use a filter skin on top oiled with K&N oil, this is just a pre filter for the uni and can be removed to reveal a clean uni, if out on a ride you can pull the skin off, knock off the stuck on sand or dirt and put it back.
I also use a dry K&N type filter with a prefilter on the air box lid modification. am I over doing it? haven't had any issues with sand getting to the Engine :)


Thanks Kuma, I got some sort of filter oil in a spray can in the garage. I think it may be PJ1, sticky as hell, never noticed it dripping off the filter before. Thanks for the heads up.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 am
Posts: 751
Location: Norco, CA
just always start with a clean filter, oil from one side and work it through the filter until its to the other side, never wring out a foam filter, it will tear the cells and make a path for the dirt to get through.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 am
Posts: 117
I got my #2 Engine back yesterday. Iron dog said it looked like more of a heat issue rather than dirt. I suspected a cocked coolant hose on the carb leaking coolant but I will watch for coolant leaks much closer while riding. The build took a new piston, rings, rod, bearings, crank bearings, balancer bearing, and crank seals. Both Pilots are on their second bore at 81mm. Iron Dog said their was some rust on the rod and some bearing race pitting. Said the rust was from long periods of sitting with no use. Said overall Engine had been taken care of and was in good shape.

I plan to put #2 back together this weekend but may not be able to test ride. #1 still needs jetting run.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:40 am
Posts: 656
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Not much better then a completely rebuilt Engine.
Glad ur got it all sorted out,now I know u must be itching to go ride.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 am
Posts: 4081
Location: Hope, B.C Canada
daddyrat wrote:
I got my #2 Engine back yesterday. Iron dog said it looked like more of a heat issue rather than dirt. I suspected a cocked coolant hose on the carb leaking coolant but I will watch for coolant leaks much closer while riding. The build took a new piston, rings, rod, bearings, crank bearings, balancer bearing, and crank seals. Both Pilots are on their second bore at 81mm. Iron Dog said their was some rust on the rod and some bearing race pitting. Said the rust was from long periods of sitting with no use. Said overall Engine had been taken care of and was in good shape.

I plan to put #2 back together this weekend but may not be able to test ride. #1 still needs jetting run.


Avgas


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], bullnerd, DC, Duneit, FloridaEdd, Google [Bot], jknarfal, Kozminot, liduno, mforbes, Randman, rmesser, toby


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group