Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Crank? (Pilot)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 pm 

I purchased a problematic Engine some time back that needed a complete rebuild of the bottom and top end. When I disassembled the bottom end, one of the crank bearings stayed on the crank. I had an extra crank and decided that I would work on the crank with the bearing stuck on it later. Tried everything I could to get the bearing off, but just wouldn't come off the crank. The previous owner ran the Engine with a bad seal for a long time and the bearing became one with the crank. The bearing became fused to the crank with rust! I took drastic measures and cut the bearing in half to remove it from the crank! After I cleaned everything up, you could see the crank was pitted from the rust. I'm concerned that the crank is now trash as the output shaft is no longer smooth for the seal to seat well and do its job. Can anyone offer some advice to possibly salvage the crank?

Pilot crank seal repair.

Attachments:
File comment: Cut up bearing
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 40.1 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
File comment: Outter race
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 30.43 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
File comment: Inner race
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 28.51 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
File comment: Pitted crank
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 35.62 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 34.07 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 33.62 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad Crank?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 pm 

How about a speedy sleeve. I know they use em for trucks and stuff on like pinion shafts and axles. Maybe you could find one the right size? Or could iit be welded and turned back down?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
How about a speedy sleeve. I know they use em for trucks and stuff on like pinion shafts and axles. Maybe you could find one the right size? Or could iit be welded and turned back down?

Never heard of a speedy sleeve, what is that?
I too thought about welding it, but would probably need to talk to someone like Speedchaser.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:

Googled it and that looks like a really quick and easy fix! I would imagine the only hard part would be finding the right size.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:19 am 

There is only one problem with speedy sleeves -- they don't last. I know because we use them on our gearboxes at work. It is a temporary fix. Depending on how fast the gearbox turns will determine how long the speedy sleeve will last. Since it is on the crank which turns 8000 rpm I would not be that confident in it. Also when you use a speedy sleeve your seal clamps down on it a bit harder because some of the clearance is taken away due to the thickness of the sleeve. Due to this extra pressure from the seal it starts to wear and when it wears through it shreds the seal instantly. With regards to putting it under the area where the bearing goes forget it, you won't get the bearing on. You could take it to a welding shop and they can spray weld it but that puts a lot of heat into it and then it would have to be machined down. Not sure what I can suggest for you on this one right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:38 pm 

Wonder if building it up with brazing rod then turning it back down would last, naturally the bronze would not wear as long as steel but it takes a long time for steel to wear out, its a lubricated rubber seal riding on the bronze, it would also be rust resistant :shock:

See what speedchaser says....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad Crank? (Pilot)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:24 pm 

I have welded the seal surface before for Mudbogger I think I used just plane steel rod . its been some time
How bad is the rod or is that gone also . most the time it will be about $55 to $75 to weld and turn. With no guarantees if it brakes in half :0)

Thanks speed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:15 am 

speedchaser wrote:
I have welded the seal surface before for Mudbogger I think I used just plane steel rod . its been some time
How bad is the rod or is that gone also . most the time it will be about $55 to $75 to weld and turn. With no guarantees if it brakes in half :0)

Thanks speed

Thank you for responding, the rod looks to be in good condition.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 42.92 KiB | Viewed 4131 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 28.97 KiB | Viewed 4131 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.77 KiB | Viewed 4131 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:28 am 

Pilot bird wrote:
speedchaser wrote:

Thanks speed

that's a replacement rod, check the thrust washer clearance as described in the service manual the gap looks tight . viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10184&p=121604&hilit=03.1406#p121604

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:58 am 

hoser wrote:
Pilot bird wrote:
speedchaser wrote:

Thanks speed

that's a replacement rod, check the thrust washer clearance as described in the service manual the gap looks tight . viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10184&p=121604&hilit=03.1406#p121604

The gap is .45mm
The manual says the service limit is .95mm, what should the gap be when replacing the rod? I didn't see anywhere in the manual that said what the gap should be when replacing the rod.

Profile E-mail