Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:53 pm 

I know nothing about carburetors. One of my Pilots is starting to foul plugs and not run so good. I noticed one of the hoses coming off the bottom of the carburetor was wet from gas. I have no idea what the jetting is either. The plug is silver in color when I remove it. It is not black at all. I am running 92 octane with castor 927 at 40:1. My other Pilot which I know is bone stock runs great with this combination. I have no idea what the jetting or anything is on this one as I bought from a guy who took it in trade and has no idea what's been done. It has 148 lbs of compression. This Pilot has never been as fast as my bone stock one.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:03 pm 

Duneit wrote:
I know nothing about carburetors. One of my Pilots is starting to foul plugs and not run so good. I noticed one of the hoses coming off the bottom of the carburetor was wet from gas. I have no idea what the jetting is either. The plug is silver in color when I remove it. It is not black at all. I am running 92 octane with castor 927 at 40:1. My other Pilot which I know is bone stock runs great with this combination. I have no idea what the jetting or anything is on this one as I bought from a guy who took it in trade and has no idea what's been done. It has 148 lbs of compression. This Pilot has never been as fast as my bone stock one.

Thanks!

Holy crap that don't sound good to me. DON'T even start it again until you look at a few things first.
It could be many things. You say the plug is "silver" :shock: that sounds like a very lean condition.
Here is my list of things I would check:
1) check your intake manifold for any cracks
2) check the jetting in your other pilot and copy it
3) check your float level
4) do a flow test on your fuel pump
5) if it passes all these then I would do a pressure and vacuum test

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:12 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Duneit wrote:

Thanks!

Holy crap that don't sound good to me. DON'T even start it again until you look at a few things first.
It could be many things. You say the plug is "silver" :shock: that sounds like a very lean condition.
Here is my list of things I would check:
1) check your intake manifold for any cracks
2) check the jetting in your other pilot and copy it
3) check your float level
4) do a flow test on your fuel pump
5) if it passes all these then I would do a pressure and vacuum test

I can check jetting. I can check for cracks. Float level?
Flow test? It runs great 90% of the time. Been running it for a couple years now. I just noticed fuel coming out overflow hoses and it actually had a difficult time starting once after it was hot and sat for a couple minutes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:13 pm 

^ doesnt sound like it is running lean to me. Sounds like its fat enough that its washing the plug. My guess would be that the floats are sticking, the needle valve is wore out, or a piece of trash got in there so the fuel isnt shutting off in the carb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:16 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
^ doesnt sound like it is running lean to me. Sounds like its fat enough that its washing the plug. My guess would be that the floats are sticking, the needle valve is wore out, or a piece of trash got in there so the fuel isnt shutting off in the carb.

I'm going to try to post a pic of the plug. I only ride sand so maybe a piece got into it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:34 pm 

Hopefully this pic shows

Attachments:
1440988285830.jpg
1440988285830.jpg [ 18.63 KiB | Viewed 4403 times ]
1440988407463.jpg
1440988407463.jpg [ 18.81 KiB | Viewed 4403 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:37 pm 

Duneit wrote:
Hopefully this pic shows

That don't look silver to me.
It's running real rich.
You got a float issue or like nitrosport_5 said you have some crap in it or the float valve is worn and not shutting off fuel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:39 pm 

You said it never ran as good as your other pilot.
Do some checks of your jets compared to your other pilot and check the float level. It's easy. Look in the manual and it should give you some instructions. Like I said it is easy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:40 pm 

It's not nearly as black as pic shows. I'll check jetting and float.
Thanks for the help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm 

Duneit wrote:
It's not nearly as black as pic shows. I'll check jetting and float.
Thanks for the help!

section 4-12 in the manual for float adjustment but like nitro said check for crap and that valve closes fuel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:04 pm 

Definitely not a lean plug. I'm betting the fuel flow isn't being shut off properly by the float a the time. When the fuel level gets too high it will overflow out those hoses and/or push more fuel into the Engine causing a rich condition. This will make the pilot smoke more and be sliggish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
Definitely not a lean plug. I'm betting the fuel flow isn't being shut off properly by the float a the time. When the fuel level gets too high it will overflow out those hoses and/or push more fuel into the Engine causing a rich condition. This will make the pilot smoke more and be sliggish

That describes exactly what's happening.
Thanks!

Profile E-mail