Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No top end power
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Oh my god -- you got that intake at Afternuts didn't you ??
That's exactly what my brothers intake did years ago. When you tightened down the bolts it flexed the plate inside the rubber and it bowed in the middle causing a leak. I tried putting bigger washers on but no cheer.

Edit: You better get down on your hands and knees and please Irondog. He just saved you an Engine by finding that poor intake. My brothers intake cost us an Engine. Its really sick that Afterthought is still selling these after all these years. They are crap intakes. Sick.

Wow, a picture says a thousand words, thanks. The manifold came with the quad. I agree with you Oddy and am glad I didn't learn that lesson the hard way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am 

Have you had a chance to reinstall your Engine and try it out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm 

Duneit wrote:
Have you had a chance to reinstall your Engine and try it out?

Yes and no. One week ago on the weekend I installed the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and started it which took all day. I planned to take it out for a test ride and jetting this past Saturday. This past Saturday, I moved the trailer around, started the pilot up and put it in gear. I revved it up but it didn't move, no forward go. I ended up pulling the clutch off, the one that I replaced the spring and "cam arms" in. I eventually took it apart and swapped back in the original "cam arms" and put it back together. I started it while up in the air on my lift and the rear wheels seemed to engage. I than cleaned up my garage and put things away. No forward progress on the pilots. At this point, I feel that I basically need to start over with the jetting. I will try again next Saturday. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 pm 

If I may be so bold as to say that now that you have a good Engine (no bad seals or leaks) you will find that stock jetting for the carb you have will be goddamn close.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
If I may be so bold as to say that now that you have a good Engine (no bad seals or leaks) you will find that stock jetting for the carb you have will be goddamn close.

I agree, but Pilot #1 has the 39mm carb on it. And I wasn't sure how that would effect it. Figured the more air needed more fuel. Stock size carb comes with a #142 main, I think put a #165 in the 39mm. It seems really rich, smoky and doesn't want to idle in the driveway. Either way, I live in town so I cant ride it to clean it out as it warms up. I was taking my jets with me and planned to swap them in the field. I wish I could get it right the first time, hate pulling that carb...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm 

daddyrat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I agree, but Pilot #1 has the 39mm carb on it. And I wasn't sure how that would effect it. Figured the more air needed more fuel. Stock size carb comes with a #142 main, I think put a #165 in the 39mm. It seems really rich, smoky and doesn't want to idle in the driveway. Either way, I live in town so I cant ride it to clean it out as it warms up. I was taking my jets with me and planned to swap them in the field. I wish I could get it right the first time, hate pulling that carb...

What ever the internet site says for your carb will most likely be correct or very close. That's where I would start. Stock jetting -- good enough.
Quote: It seems really rich, smoky and doesn't want to idle in the driveway.
Where is the pilot jet and air screw at compared to stock setting and what oil mix you running ?? I think most of the guys here run around 35/1. I actually run 50/1 Castrol on my FL350 oddy's and have had no failures. You shouldn't have to "clean it out". I don't have to. It should idle and run fine in the driveway or I wouldn't even leave the house. You might need one of those small induction tachs to set the pilot jet and idle in the driveway. Just my opinions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 pm 

This is how I set my carb: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17445

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
This is how I set my carb: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17445

Thanks for the jetting link. I read thru it and will print out for next Saturday and take it with me. The internet says that stock sizes for a Keihin 39mm PWK jets are #160 main and #60 pilot. I currently have a #165 and #58 in it so I'm pretty close to start. Thanks again oddy for your help and advise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:28 pm 

daddyrat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

One item here "hate pulling that carb"
If i am reading this correct - No need to pull it completely out. Loosen both clamps on either side of carb and rotate to the left (if standing behind the buggy). Should then be able to reach up from the bottom and get your 17mm on the cap and the 6mm ( i usually use the screwdriver handle with an extension) in to make changes without completely removing. The bowl will partially drain via vent tubes when you rotate the carb and you can stuff a rag under the carb to catch the rest when you pull the cap. I'd also make a note to start the jet you are installing by hand so as to not cross thread and be very careful. If you drop it, it's going to fall in between the Engine and trans (take my word) and it's bye bye from there. Don't drop it or have a spare!
I'm currently running the same carb with a 55 pilot jet and a 162 main, needle on center clip and it's pretty close. Going to adjust the needle down one notch per a Adnoh suggestion when i get the time and see if it helps. Sounds like yours is pretty close too. Good luck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm 

dipnadactyl wrote:
daddyrat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

If i am reading this correct - No need to pull it completely out. Loosen both clamps on either side of carb and rotate to the left (if standing behind the buggy). Should then be able to reach up from the bottom and get your 17mm on the cap and the 6mm ( i usually use the screwdriver handle with an extension) in to make changes without completely removing. The bowl will partially drain via vent tubes when you rotate the carb and you can stuff a rag under the carb to catch the rest when you pull the cap. I'd also make a note to start the jet you are installing by hand so as to not cross thread and be very careful. If you drop it, it's going to fall in between the Engine and trans (take my word) and it's bye bye from there. Don't drop it or have a spare!
I'm currently running the same carb with a 55 pilot jet and a 162 main, needle on center clip and it's pretty close. Going to adjust the needle down one notch per a Adnoh suggestion when i get the time and see if it helps. Sounds like yours is pretty close too. Good luck

Thanks dipnadactyl, good to know your jetting is close to mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 pm 

dipnadactyl wrote:
daddyrat wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

Thanks dipnadactyl, good to know your jetting is close to mine.

Profile E-mail