Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:21 pm 

I’m trying to get the bottom suspension bolt (the long one) from under the knuckle spindle out. Under the CV axle shaft. The very bottom bolt that runs front to back. Seems like it is rusted in there. I finally got it to turn a very little. Not even a 1/4 of a turn. I’ve been soaking it in PB blaster. Used a impact gun and have used a lead dead blow hammer on it as well. The thing is kicking my butt. Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks, Frank

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 am 

Shortbox4x4 wrote:
I’m trying to get the bottom suspension bolt (the long one) from under the knuckle spindle out. Under the CV axle shaft. The very bottom bolt that runs front to back. Seems like it is rusted in there. I finally got it to turn a very little. Not even a 1/4 of a turn. I’ve been soaking it in PB blaster. Used a impact gun and have used a lead dead blow hammer on it as well. The thing is kicking my butt. Anyone got any suggestions.

Thanks, Frank

The next thing i would try is heating the bottom of the knuckle with a torch and try your hammer or impact again while its hot. don't get it red hot, but you want it pretty hot and the quicker you get it there is usually better. What this is doing is expanding the knuckle as it heats up and breaks the rust before the bolt has a chance to get hot and expand. The heat is not going to be good on your bearings or control arm bushings, so either remove them first or plan to replace them if you get them too hot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm 

Yes I thought of using the smoke wrench and heating it up. The bearings and bushings like you said are my concern though. I’ll keep ya posted.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 pm 

The way I did mine just last week was to remove hub assembly top a arm and bootom link was able to take rear bottom link off. Turned assmebly on side soaked with kano aero kroil penetrating oil. Keep area around bolt wet had to add lil every day. After a week was able to turn and tap it out

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 pm 

Think I’ll do that if it doesn’t come loose for me. Unbolt the suspension links from the frame (the one is going to stay on because you cannot pull the bolt out) and disconnect the hub etc...and soak it like you said.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 am 

Well I think it’s a little more complicated. At the bolt head end it appears to be bent. The suspension link is bent a little as well.

Got the machine about a month ago. Just been going thru it to make sure it’s ready for trail riding. Been finding small stuff here and there.

So my thought is....at this time I’m going to take the knuckle and upper suspension links off as an assembly. I’ll try and put it in the hydraulic press and try pressing it out.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:07 pm 

Can you use a slide hammer ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 pm 

Just went through a similar issues, not as bad tho. There are metal bushings in the links as well so if the bolt is bent it not gonna wanna move. I ended up getting the bolt out with the bent link still attached and just swapped out the link and bolt. I used a punch and a steel hammer to get it out of the knuckle. I think there is a TRX bolt you can use to replace that one with. I’ll let you know when it comes in on Wednesday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:47 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:

I’ve got a slide hammer. Didn’t think of that but my first thought is how would I attach the slide hammer to the bolt?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:53 pm 

mforbes wrote:
Just went through a similar issues, not as bad tho. There are metal bushings in the links as well so if the bolt is bent it not gonna wanna move. I ended up getting the bolt out with the bent link still attached and just swapped out the link and bolt. I used a punch and a steel hammer to get it out of the knuckle. I think there is a TRX bolt you can use to replace that one with. I’ll let you know when it comes in on Wednesday.

The right rear front suspension link was bent even worse then the left side but it was bent in the middle. Not right where the bolt goes thru. That bolt didn’t want to come out either. As soon as I disconnected the front trailing arm from the knuckle that relieved the pressure/binding and the bolt and bad link came right out. The bolt wasn’t bent on that side.

The left side though....the suspension link isn’t bent as bad in the middle but it looks like it got bent right where the bolt goes thru it. I even disconnected all the suspension links/trailing arm link as well and it’s a no go right now.

Thanks for the thought on the TRX bolt. Good tip! I do have a couple of original Pilot bolts on the way already.

My worst case thought is I’ll drive the cv axle out of the hub. Take the knuckle assy into work if I cannot drive the bolt on my hydraulic press and I’ll set the knuckle up in the milling machine and I’ll drill/mill the bolt out.

I’ll keep you guys updated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm 

So what is the easiest way to drive the cv axle out of the hub? My guess is to use a harmonic balancer type puller.

Anyone have a better suggestion as to how to?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 am 

Shortbox4x4 wrote:
So what is the easiest way to drive the cv axle out of the hub? My guess is to use a harmonic balancer type puller.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but if it is then hoser may have an answer for it. See link.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=454
At the bottom of that link are other similar links.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 am 

Shortbox4x4 wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I’ve got a slide hammer. Didn’t think of that but my first thought is how would I attach the slide hammer to the bolt?

You weld it on the bolt head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:03 am 

I was just looking in the Pilot parts manual to get a better picture in my mind on this issue.
What jumped out at me right away is that you may bust the spindle housing if you get to violent.
Your already talking hydraulic press :shock: .
Since you can't get the bolt out the correct way then why not grind the head off with a zip cut disk and try to drive the bolt through the other way ??
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:43 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Shortbox4x4 wrote:

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but if it is then hoser may have an answer for it. See link.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=454
At the bottom of that link are other similar links.

Hello CO, Thanks for the links and I’ve seen that before looking things up.

I’m not looking to pull the whole CV axle from the transmission like in the pictures of that link.

I’m just trying to get the outer CV end of the axle to come out of the axle hub. The hub that the tire/rim bolts to. If I can get the axle out of the hub then I can take the knuckle into work to try and get the bolt out.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:46 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
I was just looking in the Pilot parts manual to get a better picture in my mind on this issue.
What jumped out at me right away is that you may bust the spindle housing if you get to violent.
Your already talking hydraulic press :shock: .
Since you can't get the bolt out the correct way then why not grind the head off with a zip cut disk and try to drive the bolt through the other way ??
CO

That was a concern of mine as well. While trying to press the bolt out can I support the knuckle properly so I don’t crack it.

The other thing I thought of was like you said cut/mill the head of the bolt off. Then I would indicate in the knuckle/bolt hole and drill or mill the bolt out. I would start undersize of the bolt’s shank diameter. Mill a hole into it and that would help the shank of the bolt to relieve it self of the pressure and I would be able to pull/tap it out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm 

OK I got some good news. I got the lower knuckle bolt out that connects the two suspension links.

I was able to pound/push the bolt only about the width of a band saw blade. The front side of the bolt took a hit at some time in it's life and bent the front suspension link as well. So the rear wheel was towed in a little. Anyways I got the bolt to move just a little. So I decided to cut the head of the bolt out. I figured I could drill the bolt out some to relieve the pressure and pull it out. Wasn't happening. I got it drilled about a 1" to 1 1/4" into the bolt. So a friend of mine at work had a suggestion. Being as the back end of the bolt where the nut goes on was still in good shape (I didn't want to cut that off as I wanted something I could hold on to for some sort of a reason if need be). I said yes. He said stack up a bunch of washers or a spacer of some sort. Tighten the nut up and with the washers pushing against the knuckle etc...it should pull the bolt out. Bingo. Worked like a million bucks and had it out in less than 5 minutes. Here are a couple of pic's.

Attachments:
Honda Pilot Knuckle Bolt.jpg
Honda Pilot Knuckle Bolt.jpg [ 35.69 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
Honda Pilot Knuckle bolt2.jpg
Honda Pilot Knuckle bolt2.jpg [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:07 pm 

Now I still couldn't get the CV axle to come out of the hub but at least the rear wheel is straight now and the machine is mobile again!

Profile E-mail