Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm 

OK I’ve done some searching and can find similar situations but not exact.

Pilot ran great with no issues but just today taking it for a ride.....It starts up like a million bucks. Let it warm up and go for a ride. Came back home (about a 2 mile ride) and came to a stop in the drive way and the Engine just quit. Tried starting and it just turned over and wouldn’t fire.

Pulled the plug and checked it for spark. Had spark. Plug was wet on the tip etc...so I’ll say it’s getting gas.

Put plug back in and hit the key and it started right up and at there at an idle all happy. Got back in and took it for a ride. Got about a 1/2 mile or so from the house and was turning around and it died again. Wouldn’t start. Towed it home (had the kid following me on the Polaris with a tow strap just in case).

Pulled the plug and it has spark. Put the plug back in and it started right back up.

When it’s running at idle it seems fine. At low speed and mid range on the throttle it seems fine, and hit the throttle wide open and the thing hauls butt no problem.

Gas tank is full! Tried it on reserve when it died and doesn’t start either so I don’t think it has anything to do with the tank at all.

I did just put a fresh spark plug in it last night but I don’t think it’s the plug. I can put the old one back in and see if it does it but if it doesn’t then what?

I’m going to pull the filter and see if it’s clean etc...but after that anyone got any tips where to start looking for stuff after that?

Thanks, SB4x4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 pm 

When it dies and I pull the plug and put it back in and starts up....I’ll say it doesn’t even sit for more than 5 minutes. So it’s not like I let it sit for a half hour or so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 am 

Check the fuel supply. The carb bowl may be running dry, the plug pulling sequence may not be related at all, but for the time it takes to do it. Fuel filter may not be able to handle the flow. Clogged?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Check the fuel supply. The carb bowl may be running dry, the plug pulling sequence may not be related at all, but for the time it takes to do it. Fuel filter may not be able to handle the flow. Clogged?

Worked on it after work today.

Fuel filter didn't seem clogged at all and no dirt/chunkers came out of it at all when I drained it. Also flushed it like Hoser said to do. All seemed fine but will admit with out cutting it open etc...it can be hard to say.

While the filter was off I did switch the fuel selector lever to RES and to On etc...and let some fuel drain out of the disconnected hose. All the fuel came out clean. So I'll say no sludge etc..in the tank.

Vent hose is clear and the gas cap vents properly etc...so good to go there.

I did do the fuel flow test. Engine running for 10 seconds and measured how much fuel came out. Was barely over 2oz's. So I'm going to say I need a fuel pump.

My ATV mechanics shop said,"Yep going to be hard to find a NOS Pilot fuel filter." He said he has a few options for me to try as he has dealt with this before on other machines as well as the Pilot. So I'll have him order me up a fresh one tomorrow as well.

Thanks, SB4x4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am 

If its stalling at idle and a wet plug it could be overly rich. Mine sometimes stalls too cause I keep it on the rich side.

What carb are you running?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:45 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
If its stalling at idle and a wet plug it could be overly rich. Mine sometimes stalls too cause I keep it on the rich side.

What carb are you running?

It’s never stalled before. OK I’ve only owned it for 3 months now but never did it before the other day. The week of the 4th of July we put a 120 miles on the trails riding all the machines and the Pilot worked like a watch.

Believe it or not the machine is stone stock. The Engine has never been a part from what I can tell. I know/feel the Engine is a tad tired but runs good overall. This winter I’m pulling it and I’m going to have it rebuilt/gone thru so it’s fresh for next summer.

I just put brand new tires on the back this past week and new ones came for the front yesterday. The machine still had the original tires on it as well. When we got it. The machine isn’t in like brand new condition. It’s been used but doesn’t seem like it was abused at all.

Later, SB4x4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:07 pm 

Shortbox4x4 wrote:
I did do the fuel flow test. Engine running for 10 seconds and measured how much fuel came out. Was barely over 2oz's. So I'm going to say I need a fuel pump.
Thanks, SB4x4

Oh god.
I have been down this road many times.
Please everyone, read that comment above slowly. He was running the Engine during this test. That's very hazardous in my opinion even though the manual states that's how you do the test.
When I do it I only use the starter with no ignition so that it can't start.
The starter spins the Engine about 450 rpm and if the Engine is running then that's a lot more rpm and pump cycles. I am not saying Honda is wrong but that's not how I do it. Safety first.
Anyways you said you're only getting "barely over 2oz". That clearly says the pump is toast. It also says to me that it may only be putting that out intermittently. No way to guarantee you actually get that flow rate all the time. You need 4.5 oz in 10 sec even the manual says that. One of my machines once did what you are saying is happening to your machine now. My issue was the fuel pump. This problem must be rectified or you WILL hole a piston.
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:45 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Shortbox4x4 wrote:
Thanks, SB4x4

Oh god.
I have been down this road many times.
Please everyone, read that comment above slowly. He was running the Engine during this test. That's very hazardous in my opinion even though the manual states that's how you do the test.
When I do it I only use the starter with no ignition so that it can't start.
The starter spins the Engine about 450 rpm and if the Engine is running then that's a lot more rpm and pump cycles. I am not saying Honda is wrong but that's not how I do it. Safety first.
Anyways you said you're only getting "barely over 2oz". That clearly says the pump is toast. It also says to me that it may only be putting that out intermittently. No way to guarantee you actually get that flow rate all the time. You need 4.5 oz in 10 sec even the manual says that. One of my machines once did what you are saying is happening to your machine now. My issue was the fuel pump. This problem must be rectified or you WILL hole a piston.
CO

Yes I thought about it running and a fire etc...and you are correct that’s how the shop manual tells you to do that. So that’s why I did it that way.

My first thought was to disconnect the spark plug so it wouldn’t fire but then I thought if it wasn’t running at the normal idle speed it wouldn’t flow the correct amount of fuel to check it being as Engine cranking speed to start is slower.

Glad you posted back and said just cranking the Engine over with out it starting will give me the same info. Next time I’ll do it that way.

Machine is down and not being driven. Yep don’t want to smoke a piston. I have a fuel pump coming for it. Should be here in a week or so and I’ll repost when I get it in and what it does.

Also will have a new fuel filter just to put in as well.

Later, SB4x4

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:04 am 

I also for grins put a bore scope/camera down thru the spark plug hole to take a peek at the piston as well as I did a compression check. It’s a little low (checking the Engine cold) but not bad. So the Engine is o.k.

No poofkaboom as you guys on here say!

Profile E-mail