Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot crankshaft
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:08 am 

I bought a used pilot last year and the second time we took it out it stopped and would not run. It would turn over but never fire. I took it to the local Honda shop and they said the top end was burnt up so they replaced it but it still would not start. They tore it down more and found that the end of the crank that holds the flywheel true is sheared and I need a new crank. That's fine but they can't find one to replace it and I have had no luck either. Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilot crankshaft
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm 

You have any pictures of your crankshaft I don't understand why your crankshaft cant be repaired and or rebuilt and reused other than most shops are not use to working on Pilots and Odysseys and the ones that do want to just use all new parts.

If your crankshaft is actually unusable I do have a few used crankshafts that need a new rod installed I would consider selling to you, first I need to contact Speedchaser and see if he is ready to rebuild them then send it and the CR500 prox rod kit to him so he can rebuild them actually I have 4 crankshafts I need Speedchaser to rebuild for me.

If you or your mechanic is unfamiliar with the inside of the Pilot Engine their is tons of info and pics on them in the CSI section http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewforum.php?f=25 I have documented about every problem you can run into in those CSI's

I would make sure they just don't throw in some made in china crankshaft bearings in your Engine trust me the local shop and mechanic could care less how long your crank bearings last lol

We have been documenting the Pilot parts here http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewforum.php?f=37 including all the stuff you/they are going to be looking for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm 

thanks for your quick reply. they sent me pics and it looks like the slot for the flywheel key is shelled out. How much would it be for everything parts-wise that I need to fix that? crank, bearings, seals, gasket?

Attachments:
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG [ 60.04 KiB | Viewed 5226 times ]
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 63.31 KiB | Viewed 5226 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm 

You should have it welded up and a new key groove cut in the other side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm 

who can do that? Should i just have them remove it and send it off or could it be done local here in tulsa?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 am 

shoubadaba wrote:

Ignition timing is triggered off the thing welded to the flywheel put the key 180 off and it will fire 180 off?

Bet Speedchaser can refurbish that crank.

Wonder what the inside of the flywheel looks like cant imagine the crankshaft is the only thing damaged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 pm 

Is there something wrong with the splines also? Where the oring is at.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

davidafco wrote:
Is there something wrong with the splines also? Where the oring is at.

Yes the splines look damaged but as long as the recoil thingie will slide on and off and fully seat I would not worry about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

hoser wrote:
shoubadaba wrote:

Ignition timing is triggered off the thing welded to the flywheel put the key 180 off and it will fire 180 off?

Bet Speedchaser can refurbish that crank.

Wonder what the inside of the flywheel looks like cant imagine the crankshaft is the only thing damaged.

Yeah your right I didn't even think about that. Bigg ooops on my part.

I would see if speed can fix it for ya.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:53 am 

What kind of $ are we talking about with refurbishing the crank vs buying one that's been rebuilt? What's the turnaround and how do I contact him. The shop has had the machine since April, I guess waiting on me to find a new crank. I thought they were looking but aparently not. I'll call them to see if they can give me images of the flywheel too and if they do I'll post them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 am 

Minorman89 wrote:
What kind of $ are we talking about with refurbishing the crank vs buying one that's been rebuilt? What's the turnaround and how do I contact him. The shop has had the machine since April, I guess waiting on me to find a new crank. I thought they were looking but aparently not. I'll call them to see if they can give me images of the flywheel too and if they do I'll post them.

Send speedchaser a email

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

All I can say is wow make sure that is not bent also first
can be welded but it going to make a weak spot in that area so keep that in mind it will never be as good as it was when new.
and yes what dose the fly wheel look like ? it's got to be trashed

a weld turn and recut key job like that will run you $60 to $80 plus shipping both ways

But make sue it not bent first
& best way to get a hold of me is by PM
thanks

SpeedChaser :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 am 

How much would one of the rebuilt cranks be in case the damage makes it too weak. Also the pull start mechanism is completely destroyed. Does it need to be replaced? Doesn't seem like you really have to have it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm 

what is the coil assembly like ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:22 pm 

It was completely shattered and the coil was twisted and broken in a couple of pieces- if you're talking about the pull start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 pm 

is the flywheel and stator in good shape? i cant inmagine it is if the pullstart was deatroyed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:11 pm 

I recommend you tear the Engine apart and inspect all parts using the Honda Manual. You mentioned that the Engine is at a repair shop. If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, then you need to get the Engine to someone who knows what they are doing with a FL400 Engine.

With that much damage to the crank, the chance that it has slipped is high. Seals, bearings are gaskets are not cheap. Take your time and make sure the crank is right before you rebuild the Engine. You simply will not know what is wrong with the crank until it is inspected. Parts are not readily available so it will take some work to find a different crank if you want to replace it.

At this point you need to understand what you are working with and go from there. Focus on what needs to be done first. example who cares about the pull start when you do not have a Engine that is working.

So first things first, is the crank usable the way it is. I say NO. Option 1 what is wrong with it? shaft is chipped - after a blow out like that, is the crank in tolerence? Manual will tell you or your mechanic what the tolerences are and how to inspect. After you answer those questions you will know which way to go. Option 2 remove the chipped crank and replace with a used one, if you can find one - save the chipped do not through it away.

Do you get were I'm going with this?

Hope it helps. there are a lot of knowledgible guys here who have been through fl400 Engine rebuilds. It seems like you want all the answers right now but there are to many unknowns at this point to answer them. get your hands on a manual and read it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm 

Read this. good pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7185&hilit=crank

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm 

sorry mate, my bad. stator?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:16 pm 

this is the pic they sent of the flywheel. fixable?

Attachments:
imagejpeg_0.jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg [ 42.96 KiB | Viewed 5035 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 pm 

could a new key slot be cut 180 deg off on both the crank and the flywheel for a repair, keeping it in timing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 am 

The best way I can answer your questions is anything is possible given enough time and money. Did you read my last post? Did any of it make sense to you? Seems like it did not sink in and you just want to know if it can be fixed based on a picture a repair shop sent you. So here ya go - hell ya it can be fixed! I am only offering you advise in my last post based on my personal experiance with my 2 fl400 pilots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 pm 

Your going to have to pull the entire Engine apart to fix this or replace it. So your cost on the lowerend is going to be a couple hundred bucks just from having to replace all the bearings and seals and a new gasket set. Plus the cost of the repair/ new crank. Not including your pullstart parts. I have a friend with a complete lower end I can see how much he wants for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:00 pm 

Minorman89 wrote:
this is the pic they sent of the flywheel. fixable?

Your pilot has been in the shop since April?!?!? First thing you need to do is go get your pilot! Like yesterday. Should have done that months ago. These sound like some real morons. Why did you have to ask to know the flywheel was bad? Why didn't they communicate that YOU needed to find a crank?(they're unavailable new but they should have communicated this in case you didn't know.) I'd be asking the manager all of this. That's absolutely unacceptable. From the sounds of these chumps I wouldn't let them air up my bicycle tire. Let alone rebuild my Engine! Go get it back and ship it to someone who knows their shit. It won't be your local guy. Will cost to ship but if you had done this in the first place you could have been riding months ago. If they're quality of work matches their customer service you don't want them to lay a finger on your pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm 

Have not heard from you in awhile, but there is a used crank on eBay. $250.00

Profile E-mail