Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
The "G-Force" top end by Pete Garrison out of Florida...

Before I button this up, I want to transfer the ports onto paper to let some local PO.com experts have a look-see at the the magic this cylinder may (or may not) have.

Bill Keefe use to run the engines Pete Garrison designed and built and he swore by them, I have two of his ported Cammex 250cc cylinders in my shop one was a air cooled converted to liquid cool by a friend of Bills and the other is a liquid cooled that was ported by Pete Garrison havent run them yet but they look quality.

Who did the hole design on the intake side of the piston, make sure you blue print that before installing, fast and easy way is to put paper over the piston and do a rubbing make sure to capture the top edge of the piston and the wrist pin holes if your not sure its centered on the intake.

Any detail pics of the porting of that cylinder?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:01 pm 

hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

Before I button this up, I want to transfer the ports onto paper to let some local PO.com experts have a look-see at the the magic this cylinder may (or may not) have.

Bill Keefe use to run the engines Pete Garrison designed and built and he swore by them, I have two of his ported Cammex 250cc cylinders in my shop one was a air cooled converted to liquid cool by a friend of Bills and the other is a liquid cooled that was ported by Pete Garrison havent run them yet but they look quality.

Who did the hole design on the intake side of the piston, make sure you blue print that before installing, fast and easy way is to put paper over the piston and do a rubbing make sure to capture the top edge of the piston and the wrist pin holes if your not sure its centered on the intake.

I put all of the top end pics up on Photobucket. Didn't want to bring down the server uploading these 30+ pics. Some pics are the ones Bill sent me, and some are ones I took.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/danauxter2/library/Pete%20Garrison%20top%20end%20from%20Bill%20Keefe%20-%20FLA

Not sure who did the hole-job on the piston. That's how I got it. The work is pretty good quality, for sure.

Any reason why I wouldn't want to add the lube holes here?

In looking through the pics, I realize Bill did send the bearing and wrist pin. I have no idea where it is though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:11 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

I put all of the top end pics up on Photobucket. Didn't want to bring down the server uploading these 30+ pics. Some pics are the ones Bill sent me, and some are ones I took.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/danauxter2/library/Pete%20Garrison%20top%20end%20from%20Bill%20Keefe%20-%20FLA

Not sure who did the hole-job on the piston. That's how I got it. The work is pretty good quality, for sure.

In looking through the pics, I realize Bill did send the bearing and wrist pin. I have no idea where it is though.

If that was mine I would add the lube holes on the exhaust side of the piston for sure.

You happen to get the pipe from bill that went with that Engine, I think it was a jimco pipe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:20 pm 

hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
hoser wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:

If that was mine I would add the lube holes on the exhaust side of the piston for sure.

You happen to get the pipe from bill that went with that Engine, I think it was a jimco pipe?

Yep, I got the Jemco pipe, too. I cleaned that up and hung it on my exhaust pipe rack what...1-2 yrs ago, and it doesn't have a single tiny spot of corrosion on it. I'm going to run it with a Klemm "silencer" (in quotes because its LOUD).

Sheesh...I looked up some emails I exchanged from Bill, and I paid $390 for this top end w/ piston. The pipe & flange was $125, and then I also bought a 94c for $50. Must've been pay week that week! lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 pm 

Lube holes drilled. Transferred bridge onto piston OD w/ pencil. 5/64" hole drilled at 3/8" & 7/8" from lower ring groove.

Got my bore gages and 3-4" micrometer. Bore ID confirmed 80.499mm and Piston OD confirmed 80.289mm, total clearance 0.210mm, W/C = 0.105mm (0.0041").

Piston & bore ports transferred onto paper.

Piston soaked in Berryman cleaner bucket for 3days to get all of the old castor oil residue off.

Piston & new Wiseco pin / Honda bearing / Wiseco circlips installed.

Speedchaser base gasket & 1 stock head gasket coated in Permatex Copper tack.

After verifying the bridge relief, hoping to have the whole Engine buttoned up tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

More to come then. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm 

Woohoo...I switched to Firefox for Android and can upload pics from my phone now.

The port transfers...no dimensions yet.

Attachments:
tmp_IMAG23541758138486.jpg
tmp_IMAG23541758138486.jpg [ 32.58 KiB | Viewed 4364 times ]
tmp_IMAG2355930129340.jpg
tmp_IMAG2355930129340.jpg [ 29.87 KiB | Viewed 4364 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:56 pm 

Notebook paper port maps were so-so, but I was able to get some numbers off of it. Some inconsistency since the the paper moved a tad on me...and...I used effing crayon. LOL!

Planning a second go using some fine graph paper and masking tape AND not sitting on my basement floor at 11pm. :shock:

But here's a rough look at the Pete Garrison cylinder...

Attachments:
Cylinder_map_1.jpg
Cylinder_map_1.jpg [ 90.56 KiB | Viewed 4354 times ]
Piston_Map_1.jpg
Piston_Map_1.jpg [ 79.07 KiB | Viewed 4354 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:54 am 

Second go at the port mapping...

Attachments:
DOC.jpg
DOC.jpg [ 135.11 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 pm 

Here are some pics of the piston per the request of a fellow member. The piston has the intake oval hole plus the 2 exhaust bridge lube holes. The map dimensions of the piston oval hole are on the 2nd sheet on my Apr 1 2013 post.

-Dan A.

Attachments:
IMAG5810.jpg
IMAG5810.jpg [ 39.82 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
IMAG5809.jpg
IMAG5809.jpg [ 23.72 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
IMAG5808.jpg
IMAG5808.jpg [ 26.17 KiB | Viewed 4318 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Slight delay....my '08 Ram is SLAMMING to a stop when I'm in reverse. Hoping it just ate parking brake pad and is randomly hanging up on junk when I'm in reverse. Found some other Ram owners on line that have had the EXACT same issue. I'm at 65k and have never looked at the rear brakes (discs or the parking drummies). Will need to take care of this ASAP! :shock:

FYI...what happened here is that my parking brake shoe had de-laminated. The friction material was hanging off the shoe on one end, so when I'd go into reverse, this would catch on the drum (between friction material & shoe) and basically engage the rear parking brake with super-power. Enough to skid the tires!

This Engine is still sitting in the basement, but at least its on a bench and not my old office chair anymore. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:35 pm 

Great thread. Resurrected from 2015. Did you ever complete the Engine rebuild?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 pm 

MPDano wrote:
Great thread. Resurrected from 2015. Did you ever complete the Engine rebuild?

Yes, this Engine has been completed and sitting on my bench since. I spray a little bit of fogging oil in the intake and plug hole every couple months. And when I'm down there I'll give the recoil rope a light pull or few to keep everything moving.

This complete Engine with Jemco pipe may be up for sale soon. No sense in it sitting around.

Profile E-mail