Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 pm 

adnoh wrote:
Hey "H" it looks like a stuffer. If he bought the pipe some where and the cylinder has not been ported I would think it would do more harm than good as it will hurt top end power. If the pipe came with a ported cylinder than I would think it was to improve the bottom end due to the porting change. If the ody had a stock clutch and top end porting than I could see it being there however if the ody was clutched for a higher rpm than I would say may not be needed. You could change the lenght a little and taper it to blend better and do some testing. Just use caution as not to make the leading edge to thin and create a hot spot for the stuffing charge or it will cook it off. If so I would log its lenght and dia and the changes then test till you find the sweet spot fall off then make a new one to the best spot. The smaller dia will speed up exhasut flow out the cylinder changing the pipes tune lower in the rpm band. Been a while since I played with a DG on a ody but burned a few up using the pipe. Nelly, I dout the water was from a wash job unless it went down the carb since water was on the intake side of the reeds. That and the siezure markes it sure looks like it lacked some lube toward the intake side and it swelled from there. Run through some water holes or what. If not was there a water cooled head? One thing for sure water is bad news for an Engine

"H" I noticed in one of the pics that there was a couple of ground wires unhook buy the clutch which may be from wrenching just wanted to mention.

Next time the pipe is off I will remove that short stub of pipe and try it without, good eye on the ground wires they share the same bolt for the clutch cover so was removed when I was wrenching on the top end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 am 

Cool let us know what you think after its removed. It will most likly fall a little in the mid however should pull harder on top. For sure have him check his top end WOT (Wide Open Throttle) plug color if air cooled. It may need a biger jet for the power bands transfer to top end and the mid range may need to go leaner so it does not stumble. I can teel you with that pipe when I played with them that we struggled in the transitin from mid to top with the jetting. We found our issue to be air volume related and too high of intake velocity. We had to lower the crank case CR a little via tranfer port height and in response move the exhasut up a little to recover the blowdown. We left the CCR alone for the increased RPM and futher reduce the chance of detonation. It took me a few piston before I forgot to restore the blow down or what I used to know it as port open diffence as the rpm increased. I know your not a big fan of the reed spacer but this will also help if boysen dual stage are used to reduce velocity and help the bottomto mid. This should let it pull a lot harder on top if the pipe temp is restored later in time. The new exhaust open time will help with pumping loss as well. On the other hand it may just gernade. What ever he does tell him to make sure its up to temp before he goes WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am 

OK, Just thought I would update everyone as to how it is going. I picked my Ody back up from hoser on Friday. I was hoping to get some seat time in it this past weekend, but the rain and storms made it not possible. I did however get a chance to take it out last night for a early night run. Here is what I experienced:

First of I want to say that it was warm out but not too bad. Maybe in the mid to low 80's. I started the Ody and it fired right up and was able to get it to idle very quickly. I let it warm up for about 10 min before jumping in and setting off. The trail area we ride at is only about 2-3 min from my house, and to get there I am running at about mid throttle most of the way with a few short WOT (Wide Open Throttle) bursts in there. Now as soon as we get to the trail I turn the corner hit the trail and nail the throttle and it just bogs and does nothing. I had to basically play with the throttle to get it to move and eventually about 100 or so yards later it was bogging so bad that it wouldn't even engage the clutch and finally just shut down. For whatever reason I think it was getting too much fuel. It would not start back up initially. the electric starter would not get it to fire, so the pull cord was used and after about 10 min or so it started to want to fire again. Once it did fire I had to hold the throttle down nearly WOT (Wide Open Throttle) to keep it running. After a few min of this it started to clear itself out and rev up without bogging. After that it seemed to be fine. We ran the trails for a good 45 min or so and it never acted up again.

Now I would've ran for more then 45 min if this had not happened:

Trail riding at night without nerf bars = bad idea. Lesson learned.

So what do you guys think is going on here. Could I be too fat in the mid range and this caused me to foul the plug? It seemed to run just fine right up until i hit the trails. was this some weird fluke? Unfortunately I was so excited to get out in the thing, that I left my tool kit at home and could not check or swap plugs on the trail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 pm 

Knda soundes like the fuel filter was plugged up or was cut off somewhat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:28 pm 

No reason to allow your Engine to idle more than one minute for a warm up before riding if its 40 degrees out and the Engine is completely cold let it warm up until the head is good and hot to the touch.

If this happens again figure out if its flooding when it wont start remove the plug and see if its all wet if it is and is flooded turn off the gas until you get it running again, figure out why its flooding..

You still on the same tank of gas as when it left here or you filled it? I never added any gas when it was here.

I rode it a good 1/2 hr at all throttle positions and it never missed a beat, never seen any fuel problems. Turned many sharp corners here both left and right, several 1/4 mile + WOT (Wide Open Throttle) runs.

With this hot air and humidity you might want to drop that main jet back down to the 150 but the main jet should have no affect on the condition you described its almost like a fuel deliver problem again, would not hurt to pull the filter see if its clean or dirt, was clean when it was here.

Take a hammer and beat that rim back out best you can air up the tire go ride, keep a eye on the wheel bearings on a Pilot every time I bent a rim like that wheel bearings usually failed real soon after, this applies to the front and rear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm 

I did add some gas to it. Pretty much filled the tank.

I tried to bend the wheel back with no luck. With no air in the tire it's hard to get a good solid hit on it to bend it back. I have new wheels on the way. I should have them on Thursday. I guess I should have kept that nice original set I sold to Mud. Oh well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm 

Nelly wrote:

I tried to bend the wheel back with no luck. With no air in the tire it's hard to get a good solid hit on it to bend it back. I have new wheels on the way. I should have them on Thursday. I guess I should have kept that nice original set I sold to Mud. Oh well.

Your old set is still setting in my shop you might ask Mudbogger if he wants to sell them back?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:42 pm 

hoser wrote:
Nelly wrote:

Your old set is still setting in my shop you might ask Mudbogger if he wants to sell them back?

Hmm, I may just have to do that!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:21 pm 

I should have an extra set of stock 350 rear wheels, if someone needs them