Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fl350 Ground Failure CSI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 am 

The other day I went to hit my starter button and it had no power.. The next thing I know I see white whisps of smoke rising from the stator wires.

After inspection I realized my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) grounding was inadequate. I had only grounded the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) with a 10-12 Gauage wire. I had grounded the main negative battery terminal to the frame instead of in front of the balancer as I saw on Randy J.'s odyssey today. (Had no idea?) Over time, each time I hit the starter button It heated up my little ground wire until I let off. Many cycles of this later and It finally cooked off and broke. After my shoddy ground wire was severed, the next time I hit the starter, The juice from the battery had to find an alternate path. It chose the wires coming from the stator. So today I began my CSI, and didnt take enough pictures.

The ground wire on the stator was badly damaged, luckily and theoretically, maybe the stator would not take damage from this as the current probably didn't travel through the stator components itself, but instead chose the ground wire that comes directly off of it. Either way, the stator OHM is within spec. at 120 OHMS.

What I am trying to find out is... if the full power of the battery is applied to an ungrounded motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), and it is forced to seek its own grounds, what components are probably screwed? I do not have spark. My Stator ohms out fine but my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), coil, and Regulator do not ohm out properly. I am doing all my testing with the battery disconnected. The grounds that attach to the "component rack" are in tact and continuous. Is it plausable the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), Reg, and Coil are toast?

Attachments:
Stator.jpg
Stator.jpg [ 42.96 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
CDI.jpg
CDI.jpg [ 33.78 KiB | Viewed 781 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:42 am 

it is plausible mate, but to prove it? you look like you are on the right track, make sure the meter is on the correct scale and that you are getting good contacts with the pins. Before you replace any parts re-do any grounds that are burnt, good grounds are important as are good soldered joints where they are used

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 am 

I think considering you don't have the heavy oem ground I would start there and work from that. You need to have the heavy ground to avoid problems like this.

Randy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 am 

Fix the grounds, fix any other damaged wires try to run it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 am 

Hey Tim, I've got spares of all three of those(not tested) and the good ones on mine so if you want to get together this week ill get them off and we can chase down your problem and hopefully I'll have the piece you need.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:38 pm 

hoser wrote:
Fix the grounds, fix any other damaged wires try to run it.

Grounds were all fixed and tested.. Still no spark :(

Fatcat, I would love to get together and figure this out as soon as possible. we can swap parts and test them out to see what's goin on. maybe test all of them on your machine? what days are you available next week?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:51 pm 

Day by day. I never know what time I'll be off work. Monday-sat late afternoons open and all day sunday

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:21 am 

Fatcat wrote:
Day by day. I never know what time I'll be off work. Monday-sat late afternoons open and all day sunday

Looks like I'm back in business fellas, I completely unwrapped about 2 feet of wiring harness and found some sort of cheap makeshift crimp that was roasted.. I reconnected them and now have HOT BLUE SPARK. As to how a current powerful enough to roast wires traveled through my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) without toasting it is beyond me.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

See you all on the 27th and 28th. I have someone covering my shifts now so I will definitely be there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am 

Tpreed wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

Looks like I'm back in business fellas, I completely unwrapped about 2 feet of wiring harness and found some sort of cheap makeshift crimp that was roasted.. I reconnected them and now have HOT BLUE SPARK. As to how a current powerful enough to roast wires traveled through my CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) without toasting it is beyond me.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

See you all on the 27th and 28th. I have someone covering my shifts now so I will definitely be there.

Current probably never flowed to the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or other parts of the ignition system, check voltage at the battery with the Engine off then check again with it running voltage higher? Turn on lights what does voltage do?

Profile E-mail