Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: who's head
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46 pm 

This came with the oddy I bought it was on the extra Engine.what caused pitting in piston and head
to use the head does it need to be cleaned up or can I use it ? If need new one, can anyone identify
and do they make it still?

Attachments:
File comment: pics of water cooled head and piston
080.JPG
080.JPG [ 23.87 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]
081.JPG
081.JPG [ 39.74 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]
079.JPG
079.JPG [ 36.7 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]
078.JPG
078.JPG [ 48.12 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: who's head
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm 

looks like an chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts head. and it almost looks like the bearings from the the bottom end went up through it. do you have the bottom end? what shape is it in?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 pm 

it is motorspurts head just found it. Yes have bottom end doesent seem that bad. Is the head pretty much done? And since its chuckelnuts is it even any good?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:44 am 

dbloudharleys wrote:
it is motorspurts head just found it. Yes have bottom end doesent seem that bad. Is the head pretty much done? And since its chuckelnuts is it even any good?

Id say the head could be re-used, but since they are still being made i would see if you could order a new combustion chamber from chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts. As for quality, i am unsure. I know there was a member that was running one without issue. I forget off the top of my head who exactly it was. Maybe start a new thread asking about it?

How do the cylinder walls look? If the piston top is that bad i would assume the walls would be destroyed. Unless the prev owner re-used the piston with just new rings for some reason. Looks to be a wiseco piston? I would make sure to inspect the bottom end very closely if you don't plan on splitting the cases. wouldn't want an unknown bottom end destroying a new rebuilt top end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 pm 

Any more pics of the piston?
Checked the ring gap locating pins?
If all is there on piston,then maybe something got sucked in via inlet? Reed petal screws?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:10 am 

I will get more pics tomorrow. So you are thinking some object was loose in the combustion chamber?
I guess that could be, the walls of the jug doesent seem too bad. I will get more pics and post em.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:42 am 

Looking at the indentations,they are round like.If it was from broken rings etc they leave sharp edged marks.
Think of the marks like footprints in mud.....no NOT THAT Mud! :-)
If you have some blue-tac,or plasticine,push some on to the marks to make a reverse shape of the UFO,make sense?
Post pics for us lot to have guessing game?
Might be a round head reed screw?
You need to make sure it's not in the bot end still,otherwise future damage will result.
If you can't find the culprit,hopefully it's gone out the exhaust,check that too,don't want it pulsing back in hey? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
dbloudharleys wrote:

Id say the head could be re-used, but since they are still being made i would see if you could order a new combustion chamber from chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts. As for quality, i am unsure. I know there was a member that was running one without issue. I forget off the top of my head who exactly it was. Maybe start a new thread asking about it?....

I've been running the Aftersport Motorshock head for a year or so. No issues with it. Just remember to re-torque your head nuts after your heat cycles, and check them once in a while (same as with any head).

The only "con" I have about the head is aestheitc. Hillside Honda head looks the "coolest". I have no cooling data, but along with the Rand head, the HH head seems to have more water volume plus more exterior surface for cooling. But like I said, no issues with the AM head. Bought it brand new when they did my 80mm top-end job. Now that I've got the water pump plumbing right, I'll be able to get some real-without-issues water temps via the Vapor Trail Tech.

Profile E-mail