Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:28 pm 

Hello looking for one a stock rear shock no spring is fine

thanks speedchaser

::-:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 am 

I am sure I have one you can have. PM me an address and I'll get it out to you. What are you up to? :-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:59 pm 

Nuke Em wrote:
I am sure I have one you can have. PM me an address and I'll get it out to you. What are you up to? :-)

Gary

well i seen this pic and I'm thinking on doing this to my two fl350's

need shock to check for bind

thanks SpeedChaser

Attachments:
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg [ 98.5 KiB | Viewed 9674 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
Nuke Em wrote:

Gary

thanks SpeedChaser

I am no expert but I think you need the pivot points of the link lined up with the center line of each U joint, LEE could probably help here.

SO looking at the pic you need to lengthen the mount on the frame and shorten the center link so the same length of the center section of the axle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:14 pm 

hoser wrote:
speedchaser wrote:
Nuke Em wrote:

Gary

thanks SpeedChaser

I am no expert but I think you need the pivot points of the link lined up with the center line of each U joint, LEE could probably help here.

SO looking at the pic you need to lengthen the mount on the frame and shorten the center link so the same length of the center section of the axle.

Yep that sound about right

thanks
speed :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:50 pm 

nice idea. I need to make some type of limit straps as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:32 am 

Ever make the links Speedchaser?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:32 pm 

When I had fl 350s I welded 2 tabs to the black up right drilled a 3/4 hole in the cage ran a shock boss threw the hole and mounted a 10- inch travel fox shock. I only used the stock shocks for the springs, spent a couple hours re valving the foxes and I tell you what those oddys handled the rough awsome compaired to any works shock or other over priced atv shock and the shocks never faded. Just throwin that out there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:48 pm 

Dave-Co wrote:
When I had fl 350s I welded 2 tabs to the black up right drilled a 3/4 hole in the cage ran a shock boss threw the hole and mounted a 10- inch travel fox shock. I only used the stock shocks for the springs, spent a couple hours re valving the foxes and I tell you what those oddys handled the rough awsome compaired to any works shock or other over priced atv shock and the shocks never faded. Just throwin that out there

Wish you had pics of your old setup those works shocks prices are totally out of control and it seems the quality has gone way down over the years, rust pits on the shafts, seals that don't last and the prices just keep going up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 am 

Its so simple hoser weld 2 tabs on the lower part of the upright that will hold the fox shock, bolt the shock to the bottom then find where it likes itself up top on the main roll bar drill a 3/4 hole threw it and put a 3/4x 1/2 tube threw it spacing the shock just a tad away from the bar, weld it in place and walla, you have a suspension you never dreamed possable on a fl 350! I drilled a hole in the stock shock to remove the oil so all it was was the spring holding it up and kept the wheel from dropping to much, the fox did all the dampening. REAL SIMPLE. You can turn a 350 into a mean azz machine in the rear!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:10 am 

Dave-Co wrote:
Its so simple hoser weld 2 tabs on the lower part of the upright that will hold the fox shock, bolt the shock to the bottom then find where it likes itself up top on the main roll bar drill a 3/4 hole threw it and put a 3/4x 1/2 tube threw it spacing the shock just a tad away from the bar, weld it in place and walla, you have a suspension you never dreamed possable on a fl 350! I drilled a hole in the stock shock to remove the oil so all it was was the spring holding it up and kept the wheel from dropping to much, the fox did all the dampening. REAL SIMPLE. You can turn a 350 into a mean azz machine in the rear!!!

Would love to see this set up

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:31 pm 

this sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

Fox makes a shock that will mount to the rear of the FL350.

Fox Air 2.0 with a 4 inch travel.

Nitrogen filled and adjustable. No need for the spring. These types of shocks are used on the Redline Revolt. I will be buying a pair here in the very near future. I like the ride of the works shocks but the quality and mounting sucks. A broken Fox shock will cost me about 200 bucks to repair. I can buy a pair of Fox Shocks for less than 450. You can't touch works for less than 550 and like I said the mounting is cheezy and the quality is sub standard.

Fox part number 980-02-013A.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 pm 

Randman wrote:
Fox makes a shock that will mount to the rear of the FL350.

Fox Air 2.0 with a 4 inch travel.

Nitrogen filled and adjustable. No need for the spring. These types of shocks are used on the Redline Revolt. I will be buying a pair here in the very near future. I like the ride of the works shocks but the quality and mounting sucks. A broken Fox shock will cost me about 200 bucks to repair. I can buy a pair of Fox Shocks for less than 450. You can't touch works for less than 550 and like I said the mounting is cheezy and the quality is sub standard.

Fox part number 980-02-013A.

Rand

Are those a direct replacement shock? No modifications needed? What would the ride be compared to works or stock?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:18 am 

I am in the process of doing a little trial and error with the Fox shocks.

Here is the link.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13024

Out of the box, they are pressurized to only 200psi however maximum pressure can be set to 500psi. At 200psi they don't rebound completely after compression. I am also able to compress the shocks all the way down to the stops by standing on the rear skid plate. I am going to find a shop that can charge them up to around 300psi and see how far they compress and rebound after that.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:48 am 

Rand it will be best to take the odyssey with you and have them bump the pressure 50 psi at a time and then stand on it after 50 and see how it reacts. to release pressure you still need a gauge to get it perfect if its too stiff at 300. if you try and let just a little out by yourself you can really let out too much. did that with my LT pilot with fox airs had to pay twice to fill them up cuz I was stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:08 am 

I first had the brilliant idea of taking the shocks down to the bike shop and going with 300psi. Then Kolby said the same thing you just did....."How do you know 300psi is going to work? Load up the Ody with shocks installed and head down to a bike shop that will charge them."

If I can't find a shop that will do it then I will have to get some sort of an adapter and do it at work. We have nitrogen tanks with regulators, but nothing that will get it down to the 8mm Schrader valve stem.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:29 am 

Randman wrote:
I first had the brilliant idea of taking the shocks down to the bike shop and going with 300psi. Then Kolby said the same thing you just did....."How do you know 300psi is going to work? Load up the Ody with shocks installed and head down to a bike shop that will charge them."

If I can't find a shop that will do it then I will have to get some sort of an adapter and do it at work. We have nitrogen tanks with regulators, but nothing that will get it down to the 8mm Schrader valve stem.

Rand

The adapters are expensive if. Ever got a pair friends have the charge kits

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am 

Randman wrote:
I am in the process of doing a little trial and error with the Fox shocks.

Here is the link.....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13024" ."..

Out of the box, they are pressurized to only 200psi however maximum pressure can be set to 500psi. At 200psi they don't rebound completely after compression. I am also able to compress the shocks all the way down to the stops by standing on the rear skid plate. I am going to find a shop that can charge them up to around 300psi and see how far they compress and rebound after that.

Rand

They should have some sag and not fully return to fully extended after compression, I forget how much they recommend for sag think it was 1/3 of the total travel, ask Dave Co?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am 

Pair of Fox 2.0 air 10" travel is around $400 shipped! The Works are like $579/pair. And you get a ton more shock and options with the Fox.

Never thought of just using a stock shock as a spring-only. I love this idea.

I will add this rear setup to my list for the Rotax build. Already have a pair of Fox air's for the front LT setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:58 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
Pair of Fox 2.0 air 10" travel is around $400 shipped! The Works are like $579/pair. And you get a ton more shock and options with the Fox.

Never thought of just using a stock shock as a spring-only. I love this idea.

I will add this rear setup to my list for the Rotax build. Already have a pair of Fox air's for the front LT setup.

The initial cost and the infinite spring rates accomplished by adjusting oil and nitrogen levels is what first attracted me to these shocks your also able to change the valving inside just like any other modern serviceable shock.

Back when I first bought mine the fear was if you lose the nitrogen you lost the spring,
Had mine since 1999? never had this problem yet, had a coil spring on my RZR-S break leaving me with the same problem as a air shock losing its nitrogen.

They been using these on Stadium lites for years, been used on backs of motorcycles since the early 70's

The no loss setup to adjust the nitrogen levels on the shocks is the biggest hurtle by time you buy the tank regulator and no loss fill valve its quite a investment lucky for me I was able to piece together my kit and saved a ton of money, having the nitrogen tank also allows me to service any serviceable shock . All kinds of shock fill kits on ebay, their were no kits available back when I bought my shocks lol http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Ai ... +&_sacat=0

Attachment:
FOX no2 fill.JPG
FOX no2 fill.JPG [ 9.53 KiB | Viewed 9399 times ]

Once you get these dialed in I am sure you will be very happy, once the setup is known just like on the WORKS shocks others will know where to start with their setup since we will have a base line .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hoser, as far as sag goes, there is way too much as it is at 200psi. I am also able to compress the suspension completely to the stops by standing on the rear of the Ody. I'm guessing with my fat ass it's going to take around 250 to 300psi. Even with a 160 pound rider the suspension sags way too much.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:40 pm 

Randman wrote:
Hoser, as far as sag goes, there is way too much as it is at 200psi. I am also able to compress the suspension completely to the stops by standing on the rear of the Ody. I'm guessing with my fat ass it's going to take around 250 to 300psi. Even with a 160 pound rider the suspension sags way too much.

Rand

Go here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html
read that if you already have not, then download the excel spread sheet you can enter your shock info and calculate your spring rate see where you are and what 300 psi is going to give you for a spring rate.

Profile E-mail