Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am 

so today after I read hosers mini-essay on Engine breakin, I decided to check to see if the piston was starting to get wear (to make sure that it wasn't getting destroyed). luckily I barely had it at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and I did start out slow but changing rpms as I drove. also before that, I had it running a bit in the garage.

here is what it looks like now.... is this bad?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:19 am 

this is what they look like now

Attachments:
DSC05715.JPG
DSC05715.JPG [ 49.15 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
DSC05716.JPG
DSC05716.JPG [ 46.46 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
DSC05718.JPG
DSC05718.JPG [ 68.53 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
DSC05720.JPG
DSC05720.JPG [ 54.52 KiB | Viewed 1061 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm 

Those are pictures after the cylinder was machined and that is the new piston and rings after you drove it a few times?

If that's true - will someone else jump in - I can not take anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:39 pm 

rmesser wrote:
Those are pictures after the cylinder was machined and that is the new piston and rings after you drove it a few times?

If that's true - will someone else jump in - I can not take anymore.

I am still trying to figure out how you get a accurate torque with the dirty rusted threads.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:16 pm 

Sorry but im out of this one. Stupidity!!!!!!! Its blown up again. Looks like the old piston was just sanded down and pit back in. No oil holes drilled. Nothing cleaned up. And your worried about tires? Lets see the rest of the odyssey.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 pm 

Time to sell it and buy a tractor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm 

look honestly I just trusted my friends dad (the mechanic) cuz he knows what hes doing. he said hes dealt with a lot of this stuff and a little scoring is ok. I don't know if it is but he said it was and I trust him. and its very deceiving in the pictures. the little streaks of oil that look like big scores in the new piston actually aren't that bad. that are barely noticeable when your finger over it. it looks worse than it is.

and if it is all wrong then what am I supposed to do differently? i did almost everything hoser said to do in a breakin, ive put a little extra oil in the gas to let it get more lubrication as the piston and cylinder "meet" and idk what im supposed to do differently. im following the manual perfectly. it still runs fine so now, so what can i do to prevent it from getting worse like you guys say? i don't see what im doing wrong!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 am 

No lube holes were drilled in the piston you or your guy even bother to read the instructions that came with the piston?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 pm 

there aren't any lube holes in the piston because the guy who bored the piston relieved the exhaust bridge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:58 pm 

kiwi wrote:
there aren't any lube holes in the piston because the guy who bored the piston relieved the exhaust bridge

We see how that worked out for you, early on gave you links, suggested you read, learn about the 350 Engine and its special requirements then apply them to your machine.

Did you pressure test the Engine after you assembled to see if you had a air leak?

Go through the carb ensure its clean so it does not create a lean condition.

You verify your engines jetting after the rebuild?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:12 pm 

yes i cleaned the carburator and it is as clean as it will ever get

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:36 pm 

hey guys, its been bugging me for a while and i guess i just don't understand why you said to have the fuel mix at 32:1 instead of what the manual said 20:1. why is that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

also what type of transmission oil should i use? i read on this site that one of you guys recommended 80-90W or manual transmission fluid for Honda cars. which one is the best and cheapest?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm 

OH MY GOD!!!
That was really entertaining to read. But seriously, it sounds to me that kiwi is a joke. I CAN NOT believe this is true. Too much stupidity.
How can someone still asking about the oil mixing after saying that he read everything... Why doing a breakin after you rebuild it and you already run it like you stole it???
Oh well...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 am 

Wow! :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:02 am 

just take the whole thing to a certified atv mechanic and get it done right! or else your obviously going to be spending so much $$$$$$ on top ends. Or switch to a 4 stroke.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:21 am 

kiwi wrote:
I just got the block and piston off and here are some picks. the piston has been worn and its so bad that the rings wont even come off because the metal has either melted together or its just meshed together from the heat/pressure. im going to try to find a shop that might have a new piston and can resurface the insides if the block before I go looking online.

hopefully a new piston wont cost much?

also the last pic is of a wire I found. not sure where it goes...

Kiwi I just want to chime in here one time maybe two at most.
I see in the pictures the vacuum port for the fuel pump is not plugged !!! and you are running gravity feed. This will lean out your new rebuild and poooffkaboom Engine shot. So my question is was this vacuum port plugged after you did your rebuild ?? Yes or No please.
This whole post has been entertaining.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5