Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:47 am 

idk if these help

Attachments:
DSC05661.JPG
DSC05661.JPG [ 76.63 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]
DSC05662.JPG
DSC05662.JPG [ 56.24 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]
DSC05663.JPG
DSC05663.JPG [ 48.74 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]
DSC05664.JPG
DSC05664.JPG [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]
DSC05665.JPG
DSC05665.JPG [ 45.21 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 pm 

So what is the compression?

See the rust on the cylinder walls, see the vertical scratches and scuffs in the cylinder wall I bet the rings are stuck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:27 pm 

my friend is coming over around 1, but how do I fix the rings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm 

Put the head back on and do a compression test FIRST!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 pm 

If it was mine I would pull the top end apart for inspection.

If their is rust in the bottom end and I suspect their is it will need the bottom end rebuilt also, looks like it was improperly stored to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:41 pm 

He can also remove his recoil starter to look for the black oil syndrome to see if his starter is smoked!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:38 pm 

ive taken apart the starter a few times and it looks like the last person who took it apart thought oil would help so the inside of the starter is caked with oil that is super hard to get off.

Ive taken apart the block and the inside has a few scores but not nearly as bad as my friend and I had expected. he recommended to get it the block to a shop and have it resurfaced or something like that

there is no rust in the bottom. just little puddles of gas in areas.

and you are def right about the "not being stored correctly". my dad put it away when I was born and by putting it away I mean that he just let it sit in the back of our barn, let the tires completely get destroyed, air filter foam get stale and bad, so id say im pretty lucky that 15 years later its not that bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:10 pm 

I just got the block and piston off and here are some picks. the piston has been worn and its so bad that the rings wont even come off because the metal has either melted together or its just meshed together from the heat/pressure. im going to try to find a shop that might have a new piston and can resurface the insides if the block before I go looking online.

hopefully a new piston wont cost much?

also the last pic is of a wire I found. not sure where it goes...

Attachments:
DSC05666.JPG
DSC05666.JPG [ 62.41 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]
DSC05669.JPG
DSC05669.JPG [ 76.03 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]
DSC05670.JPG
DSC05670.JPG [ 53.39 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]
DSC05671.JPG
DSC05671.JPG [ 62.7 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]
DSC05668.JPG
DSC05668.JPG [ 56.63 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:25 pm 

Like I said in the begining it was blown. You need to bore the cylinder and put a new piston kit in it. As well as get a fuel pump set up back on your machine to run properly and mix oil into your fuel. Pull your starter apart and soak it all in gas for a day or so.
Cost will be
bore job is 80
Piston kit 165
Top bearing 18
Topend gaskets are 35
Carb cleaner and oil 10
Fuel pump 30
Fuel lines and filter 10

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:36 pm 

not to be defiant and I know I don't know as much as you, but why would I need to get a new piston kit if all I need is the piston itself? or is that essentially the same thing?

and soak the [i]starter in gas??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm 

I think I know what the top bearing is and I don't understand why I would need a new one of those...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:38 pm 

and what about the wire?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 pm 

Kiwi, you have a lot to learn. All I can tell ya is to ask specific question as you go, cause you are simply not listening to the advice you are given. For gods sakes man you didn't even know to add oil to the fuel and you are running without a air filter. That should clue you in that you need to educate your self about your machine. Have you spent any time in the manulal? You can either learn the hard way $$$$$ or the easy way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:11 pm 

The wire is a ground wire that goes to the frame I beleive or the Engine by the clutch(exhaust side).
Your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is toast! BORE, piston, rings, bearing, AND GET SOME 2 cycle oil!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:19 pm 

I guess im confused about what the bearing is...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 pm 

and im sorry if I have not done things that you guys have told me to do... its just its a lot to take in at one time and I just cant learn about everything all at once that's why I keep asking about on thing at a time... when someone gives me a list of things to do its just easier to ask about one thing then the next. and if I have not done things (like the compression tes) its because I haven't been able to or cant afford it. my friend cant find the comp. tester so that might take a while.

as for the not listening part; it would be better to explain the more difficult things, rather than rattle off a list of some stuff I don't know.

I understand the basics, just some of this stuff is like chinese

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:32 pm 

kiwi wrote:
and im sorry if I have not done things that you guys have told me to do... its just its a lot to take in at one time and I just cant learn about everything all at once that's why I keep asking about on thing at a time... when someone gives me a list of things to do its just easier to ask about one thing then the next. and if I have not done things (like the compression tes) its because I haven't been able to or cant afford it. my friend cant find the comp. tester so that might take a while.

as for the not listening part; it would be better to explain the more difficult things, rather than rattle off a list of some stuff I don't know.

I understand the basics, just some of this stuff is like chinese

Yeah its probably like a whole different language, we all had to learn it and its simple just takes a little time, first get a service manual read it cover to cover that will help you with the lingo a bunch then go read a bunch of the FL350 CSI articles on this site look at the pics it will help with all the things you need to know that's not in the manuals.
http://www.google.com/search?q=350+CSI+ ... dyssey.com

Read
Read
Read
Its all easy reading even easier if your interested and have no money to pay someone else lol

Once you learn it you know it for life :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 pm 

kiwi wrote:
not to be defiant and I know I don't know as much as you, but why would I need to get a new piston kit if all I need is the piston itself? or is that essentially the same thing?

and soak the [i]starter in gas??

Yes remove the starter and take it completly apart and soak it in fuel to clean it. Then buy a rebuild kit for it and rebuild it. Your top end is toasted that means you overheated EVERYTHING in the topend and ALL must be replaced. You do this so all the new parts have the same wear on them. Sure would suck to put a new piston in it and the bearing fails after a few hours causing you to ruin the new piston you just put in right? So a 15 dollar part is well worth it. Its your choice to do it right or do it your way we are here trying to help you enjoy your odyssey for years to come at the cheapest cost possible. When it comes to blown topends its better to do it right once instead of wrong 10 times.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

Kiwi
Hoser is right listen to him!

You sound young. Probably still in school do not take that comment the wrong way. It also sounds like you are on a tight budget.
Your friend (mechanic) you are referring to is probably young also. If you do not have a manual there is plenty of info on the net
read it then print it. Search this site everyone will help you however no offence to the forum some of the older guys get a little cranky
when they tell you to do something and you do not do it. To be honest it pisses them off because they have told you what to do.

That being said all and I mean all of us were not born with this knowledge some might have been
born with a wrench in our hand but the knowledge was learned taught. Some of us learned the hard way $$$ (meaning: after we didn't
listen to someone that told us the right way we did it another it cost us more money and had then to listen to wisdom or waste more
$$$. 1. odysseys are 2 stroke engines look it up vs 4 stroke.
2. 2 stroke engines require a special 2 stroke oil gas mix.
3 You just learned the hard way $$$ part of the difference between the 2 engines
4 Be patient don't rush youre project if you do it will cost you not only $$$$ but time you could have been doing something creative or worthwhile .
5 One step at a time something I still have problems with to this day .(work in progress) lol also see step 4

Now if you are older and no one has taught you and you are just learning the guys will help. Make sure you ask a validated
question. You have the world at youre finger tips something we older generation did not have so again read up on things inside youre Engine.

So the question was why cant I just get a piston?
Wiseco makes the piston you need. take the cylinder to a bike shop ask them what the bore size of the cylinder is
if it is at 80 mm you will need a 80.5 mm piston they can help you with this.
They have to have the piston first so they can bore youre cylinder to that piston. There are other
thing that need to be done to the piston here is the clues piston prep and bridge relief. When the cylinder
is bored it needs to be bored .004 to .005 more than the piston.Correct me if I am wrong here guys
.[color=#000000]
[/col
Now if you are on a budget start saving or buying parts a little at a time known as hording . When you have enough parts to put it back to gather next step. Also the bearing is in the rod which connects to the piston via the wrist pin the wrist pin is held in place by the circlips. Talk to the guy at the bike shop ask the right questions he will help you , heck if you have to tell him the truth all
of this Engine lingo is greek to you and you need to be educated a little you want to learn. Swallow a little pride.
If you are young these guys are a little more inclined to help you . a Manual will help a lot if you can afford it .
The wrist pin bearing needs to be replaced because it although you cant see it got hot and distorted getting really hot
with no lube like youre Engine is not good and destroys parts. Kind of like youre rings and piston and cylinder you can see that.

6. go get cylinder size checked to see what piston you need for the next size up bore job.
I know its alot to take in and can seem to be a daunting task but you can do it. Take youre time don't rush it read up ask questions. I want to see you ride youre odyssey.

Hope this helps. :-) :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:15 pm 

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING OLD AND CRANKY?...LOL
IM NOT THAT OLD but I am still wet behind the ears a little myself...

Kiwi, I am only about a 2 yr odyssey guy myself and if your somewhat mechanically inclined like me... You will learn over time by doing, reading and asking questions. When I bought my 350 it was totally dismantled in a hundred or so pieces and I reassembled it almost completely by myself. Don't give up its not a cheap hobby but when you get dialed in you WILL LOVE IT!

Keep your head up and it will come together like the others have also said...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:11 pm 

thanks guys!! not to be sappy or anything but im just realizing how ignorant ive been. thanks for snapping me back to reality.

putting the starter (disassembled) in the fuel was a great idea! after I soaked it for a good half hour or so, I put it back together and voila! a working starter woohoo! kinda just showed myself up about how listening and doing what smarter people tell you to do works better than being stuck up :P

my friend is actually an older guy whos daughter goes to high school with me and he knows a whole lot about this stuff (hense the reason why I asked him for help). turns out he had just assumed that the Engine wasn't a two stroke, but after he found out he was kicking himself.

hes going to a shop wear he has friends and they know even more about engines than him and he said he can hopefully get a boring job and a new piston for free. :-) once he gets back with the block and piston its just time for reassembly.

as you guys recommended, im going to start saving up for a tank and pump. not really sure where to look for decent prices...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:15 pm 

See how pissy they can be. lol Randy j has helped me out quite a bit.
In the picture that piston has a window in it if I am not mistaken.
Hey guys is that a Honda 78.5 mm art piston it has a window in it?
If so what does this mean for kiwi?
I really do not know that is why I am asking.

Its called a cylinder and keep and eye on the wanted / for sale. They pop up on this site every once and a while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

Kiwi, This will help you understand a 2 cycle Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 pm 

Darn I must not have saved it right. It has no motion. Check it out on hosers tech page. Note the spark plug fires every other stroke, thus a 2 cycle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:31 am 

which side is exhaust and which side is the intake?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next