Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm 

im looking for a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) for cheap. I know that's hard to come by but if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to find one that would be great!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

kiwi,
Don't forget the oddy was only made one year....cheap? should be around $100 clams.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 pm 

shucks... is there any way I can make sure that the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit is the problem before I make the investment?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am 

kiwi wrote:
shucks... is there any way I can make sure that the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit is the problem before I make the investment?

CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)'s seldom go bad what is the complaint your trying to blame on the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 pm 

I have an odyssey and it was running well then I stopped it for exactly 2 minutes to put air in a tire and went to start it back up and the electric and pull start work fine but it doesn't turn over. compression is good, I tried brand new spark plugs, starting liquid, cleaned the carburetor, but nothing helps. the only thing that has happened was once or twice I would get "snorts". this means it would make one big, hissing firing, but that's it. but I havent even gotten a snort in a while. all of this leads me to believe that it is an electrical problem and not mechanical because just stopping and starting the Engine would not have altered any of the actual mechanics. the only thing that really could have changed was electrical a.k.a. CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) unit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 pm 

I have 1 and yes I would like to get 100 for it. That is going price for them these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

Is the plug sparking? If not try trimming off about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of the end of the spark plug wire after unscrewing it from the boot. Screw the boot back on and check for spark.

Is the spark plug wet with fuel? If so it is getting fuel.

Start with the simple stuff.

Could it be the kill switch? I assume you turned it off when you filled the tire.

CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) is a long shot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm 

if you go to the active topic; "Honda Odyssey Fl350 Starting Problem" you can read about suggestions ive gotten and things ive done so far

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 pm 

I read as much as I could stand. Using starting fluid on a 2 cycle and not using a air filter - did I read that right? Sounds like you are just asking for trouble. Sounds to me like you could have many problems going on. My previous post I was trying to get you to start simple ya know the kiss rule keep it simple silly. Facts of life women take it and men give it , engines need spark and fuel to fire and then a variety of thing to run properly.

I'm still hung up on the kill switch as it was the last thing you did before airing the tire.

Have you verified it is working properly?

Have you trimmed the end of the spark plug wire? I believe you said the spark look weak.

You have been told the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) usually does not go bad, but if you want to buy one and try it go ahead but I would suggest you rule out all other possibilities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am 

i have taken apart the kill switch but i didnt know how to check it or anything so i just put it back assuming it was working. how do i check it?

and what is trimming the spark plug wire? how do i trim it and what will it do for me/the Engine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm 

kiwi wrote:
i have taken apart the kill switch but i didnt know how to check it or anything so i just put it back assuming it was working. how do i check it?

and what is trimming the spark plug wire? how do i trim it and what will it do for me/the Engine?

Do you have a ohm meter? I would check the switch for continuity.

Cutting off the end of the sprk plug wire will give the screw lead in the boot fresh wire to connect to. Sometimes the end of the wire goes bad and causes a bad connection from the coil - thus a weak spark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 pm 

so where exactly is the wire im trimming? I would really hate to be cutting the wrong thing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm 

The spark plug wire. This is the wire that goes from the coil to the spark plug boot. Pull the boot off the spark plug hold the wire with one hand so it does not spin and spin the boot in counter clock wise rotation. The boot should unscrew for the wire. Trim about 1/4 to 3/8 inch off the end then screw the boot back on the wire.

Profile E-mail