Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My take on a vent mod.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:41 am 

I looked at a bunch of variations on the vent mod.

I couldn't decide if I'd rather deal with drilling and tapping the case and trying to route the hose safely around the belt and guards, or if I'd rather lose easy access to the dipstick.

In the end, I decided on neither, so I made a new dipstick that incorporates the vent in the top.

It's my first time cutting metric threads on my lathe. I found a conversion chart and I happened to have the extra gears I needed to make the change.
I think there's enough clearance between the dipstick and the plug, but if not I'll either turn the neck a bit thinner or run a couple of slots down the sides.

Image.
Image.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 am 

How does it vent? Nice job just wondering the path it vents

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:19 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
How does it vent? Nice job just wondering the path it vents

There's clearance between the neck of the dipstick and the top section it screws into, so the air can flow past the stick up into the body and out the plug.
Here's a crappy diagram and a couple of pictures.

Image.
Image.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:30 am 

Very slick.

Knurling needs some practice but you'll get better the more you use your lathe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:55 pm 

Dude that's nice. You know people are gonna start asking you to make these now for us ;). Its simple clean and takes minutes to install. Great job

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Very slick.

Knurling needs some practice but you'll get better the more you use your lathe.

I intentionally went VERY light on the knurl on the body since I didn't decide to knurl it until after I'd already turned down and drilled the threaded section... My scissor knurling tool is too small to get around that part, so I had to use the one with my QCTP and I didn't want to bend or break the piece and have to start over again.

shoubadaba wrote:
Dude that's nice. You know people are gonna start asking you to make these now for us ;). Its simple clean and takes minutes to install. Great job

I won't even tell you how many hours I put into that little bugger... of course, now that I've got one built, a 2nd one should theoretically be much faster, still unless I could get $100 for one, I'd be better off spending my time working at McDonalds. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:12 pm 

Looks great had a chance to test it yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:16 pm 

It'll be a while before I can test it. First I have to rebuild the Engine, clutches, brakes, gas tank and a few other odds and ends... oh, and I need to get some bellows.
Anyone tried one from an EZ-Go golf cart? They're about $10.00 - Significantly cheaper than the others I've seen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:12 am 

This looks like a good setup

My only thought would be if there is going to be potential for too much back pressure when the oil fills in all the corners and small galley in the fittings on the way up

I honestly don't know, and logically I would think the gas would burp out before any pressure issues, but that was the first thing that jumped out to me

Still, a good tackle on this mod

Follow up question...

After the case blocking off mod and the balancer is filled to original spec, is there really a chance of the oil creeping low and being caught with the dipstick before a catastrophic failure?

Do we really still need the dipstick to periodically check the level, often enough where it would be more of a nuisance to pull a vent mod if it was placed in the filler hole?

If it runs out the outer case seal or the gasket goes bad, it would be noticed before you ever needed to pull a dipstick, as it would be all over the bottom of the case

If it somehow pushed past the seal into the crankcase...the Engine would have already have gone boom!

If it escaped the vent line/bellow and ran out, you'd see that before you ever pulled a dipstick

I understand some like to check the level, but is the dipstick really going to help?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 am 

spongerich wrote:
It'll be a while before I can test it. First I have to rebuild the Engine, clutches, brakes, gas tank and a few other odds and ends... oh, and I need to get some bellows.
Anyone tried one from an EZ-Go golf cart? They're about $10.00 - Significantly cheaper than the others I've seen.

Hey Spongerich, you can send one to me and I can do a little R&D work for you! :-)

I like your design. Never have to remove the outer vent area to check the oil level.....very nice. My design works great but...(there's always a but) you have to remove the whole assembly to check the oil level.

Once you're into production, I'll take three! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail