Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 pm 

Thanks Stix I hadn't had time to look for it yet. I'm thinking that the fourth one is for the starter. I hope so anyway. LOL Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm 

birvin wrote:
Thanks Stix I hadn't had time to look for it yet. I'm thinking that the fourth one is for the starter. I hope so anyway. LOL Thanks Billy

No problem, I have some extra time on my hands so i thought I would try to make it a little easier for ya, Yep I think your right about the starter, arent there a couple O rings or seals in the starter?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:23 am 

stix wrote:
birvin wrote:

No problem, I have some extra time on my hands so i thought I would try to make it a little easier for ya, Yep I think your right about the starter, arent there a couple O rings or seals in the starter?

yes there are and I do appreciate the help. I think my brain was running in low gear yesterday. LOL Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:51 am 

Does anyone have a picture of the front of the Engine with it mounted in the frame before the seat was installed? I am trying to come up with a different way for the balancer mod. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:33 pm 

Finally got to install all of the bearings and seals. hopefully I will get to install crank and get the bottom end together this week. May get it back in frame by late next winter with the way things are going. LOL I will get some pics. up soon. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 pm 

Got my crank with new rod, bearings ,pin and shims back today, hope to start reassembly by this weekend. Any advice before I start on the lower end? I plan on redoing the balancer mod. before assembly. Thanks Billy

Attachments:
crank.JPG
crank.JPG [ 82.67 KiB | Viewed 779 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 am 

birvin wrote:
Got my crank with new rod, bearings ,pin and shims back today, hope to start reassembly by this weekend. Any advice before I start on the lower end? I plan on redoing the balancer mod. before assembly. Thanks Billy

Who did your crank work, and how much? I've got one that needs a new rod.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
birvin wrote:

Who did your crank work, and how much? I've got one that needs a new rod.

A friend of mine that works at a Honda dealership in Gadsden Al. While he had it apart he cleaned the crank and removed the rough casting surface with a wire brush. I think that he gets $75.00 + taxes for labor if you send him the parts. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 am 

Ok got the bottom end put back together yesterday. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the back up for balancer mod. It has about 1/8" clearance between the balancer gear and bottom of the fitting.
photo 3 (1).JPG
photo 3 (1).JPG [ 58.28 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]
File comment: This is when I installed the crank. Notice the condensation on the crank, I had to place it in the freezer to get it to drop into the bearing.
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG [ 80.29 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 pm 

And some more pictures. Thanks Billy

Attachments:
photo 4 (1).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPG [ 94.61 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 103.94 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:09 pm 

I finally got the cooling fins removed the way that I wanted, so I started on the outer shell of the cylinder. This is just a test fit but, I think around the intake and exhaust ports will be the hardest. The rest should be easier.

Attachments:
cylinder (2).JPG
cylinder (2).JPG [ 172.08 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 am 

I got my divider installed on my cylinder last night, and the outside jacket above the intake side of it also.

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 76.47 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm 

I finally got the outer jacket welded on the cylinder last Friday, I started today on the inlets for the head and the cylinder. It don't look that good but I ain't no welder. LOL But as long as it works I'm good with that.

I need some advice on reeds, I have been running the steel one that I guess are OEM. I figure that since I am doing the rebuild I should look at reeds and see which ones are the best across the board. I have studied up on them but of course everyone says theirs are the best. So I know that there are a lot of you that have ran different ones so like I said all advice is needed.

It is to be bored to 81mm over size carb. ported and polished exhaust ports, water cooled head and cylinder. I would also like some input on stuffers. The good, Bad and ugly on it. Thanks Billy

Attachments:
File comment: It ain't Purdy!
engine.JPG
engine.JPG [ 142.05 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 am 

Update I have everything ready except for the piston and bore. I have a piston and when I took it out of the box, it was the wrong size. To make a long story short I had to order another one from another place to get it here this week and I will deal with the wrong one later. But it is out for delivery today so off to the shop in the morning for bore job. Also while this is going on I decided to repair my pull start cap it has always been in bad shape so now is the time to "Get R Done". Here are a few pics of it and after I get it finished I will post some more of it. I haven't heard anything back about reeds or stuffers so I guess I am on my own on that one. LOL Good enough! Thanks Billy

Attachments:
File comment: at one time it was tried to be repaired but not right.
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 2 (1).JPG [ 17.67 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 17.04 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
photo 1 (1).JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG [ 18.29 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:11 am 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6306&hilit=4+pedal+6+pedal+stuffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm 

afastcar wrote:
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6306&hilit=4+pedal+6+pedal+stuffer

Thank you, That seems to answer all of my questions. So now I don't feel like such a D.A. When I road 2 strokes in the 70's-early 80's I stayed up on 2 stroke engines and improvements. But when I switched to 4 strokes I never looked back. This is the first one I have messed with other than weed whackers since then so I have a lot to catch up on. But that was a good post and very informative. Thanks again Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

Update, I got my bore done on Friday to 81mm. Exhaust bridge work done also. Holes drilled in the piston and my exhaust ported and cleaned. I have also got more work done on the pull start cover, I'll post some pics. later today. I had to get my phone fixed, I couldn't even take a picture. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 am 

birvin wrote:
I finally got the outer jacket welded on the cylinder last Friday, I started today on the inlets for the head and the cylinder. It don't look that good but I ain't no welder. LOL But as long as it works I'm good with that.

I need some advice on reeds, I have been running the steel one that I guess are OEM. I figure that since I am doing the rebuild I should look at reeds and see which ones are the best across the board. I have studied up on them but of course everyone says theirs are the best. So I know that there are a lot of you that have ran different ones so like I said all advice is needed.

It is to be bored to 81mm over size carb. ported and polished exhaust ports, water cooled head and cylinder. I would also like some input on stuffers. The good, Bad and ugly on it. Thanks Billy

That's a sexy lookin Engine to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
birvin wrote:

That's a sexy lookin Engine to me.

Thanks, But I figure if it don't run good at least it will look good. LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:56 pm 

Can you post a couple of pictures of the head and cylinder in/out water ports ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
Can you post a couple of pictures of the head and cylinder in/out water ports ??

Ok this is the first pics that I have tried since the phone dumped. I haven't cut the inlet pipes yet. I'm waiting until I sit it in and mount the radiator in place. Or I think that is what I'm doing. LOL

Attachments:
photo 2 (4).JPG
photo 2 (4).JPG [ 47.92 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]
photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG [ 67.67 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG [ 51.25 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm 

could have gotten AN weld on bungs and made all your line nice and need with AN fitting.

have you pressure tested the head and cylinder yet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 pm 

fully wrote:
could have gotten AN weld on bungs and made all your line nice and need with AN fitting.

have you pressure tested the head and cylinder yet

I think I read earlier in the post where he did pressure test and only found two small leaks
to fix.
My set up is similar but I used screw in type hose barbs.
Both my oddy's never got hotter than 120'F and that's way to cold. Pulled the exhaust on mine and looked in. Seen some scaring in the intake wall. I now have a probe installed that turns pump on at 185'F off at 170'F. Have not had a chance to re-test run it yet. Maybe in the next couple of days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 am 

Yes I did test and like CO said I found a couple of leaks. But I'm coating it with ceramic on the inside also, For anything that may develop in the future. I did look at weld on fittings and just decided to go with straight tubing since I already had it. But you are right it probably would have looked better. Really I am trying to for dependability over everything else. I ride in a pretty big area and I can't take the chance of breaking down far from the truck. The guys I ride with are on 4 wheelers and I catch hell if something breaks. LOL But it is all in fun. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm 

I've got all of the cracks and broken ears welded, but not finished. I am thinking of placing gussets on all of the bolting points.

Attachments:
photo 1 (4).JPG
photo 1 (4).JPG [ 28.73 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
photo 2 (5).JPG
photo 2 (5).JPG [ 36.42 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
photo 3 (4).JPG
photo 3 (4).JPG [ 34.6 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next