Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 pm 

I got my tank position about figured out, I am hanging it in between the radiator and the pre filter. about the best place I could find. Thanks Billy

Attachments:
File comment: There will be about 1-1/2" in between the rad. and the tank when mount bolts are tightened.
photo 4 (3).JPG
photo 4 (3).JPG [ 90.48 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
File comment: The tube sitting on the tank is a hanger bracket to hold the tank in place.
photo 5 (1).JPG
photo 5 (1).JPG [ 98.5 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:00 pm 

Holy F*** bud. With that gas tank there you can't even see the Engine.
How the F*** are you going to change the sparkplug ??
Have you thought about mounting a fuel cell at the very back of the machine
and protecting it with some tubing ??
If I ever get my machines running I plan on mounting extra fuel can holders there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
If I ever get my machines running I plan on mounting extra fuel can holders there.

Hey Bud what's up? The tank will be raised up when finished to get to the plug if all measurements are correct. I did think about the back to mount the tank but didn't like it. I have backed into enough trees and been bumped enough that I just didn't like it. I plan on maybe getting the tank installed this evening if I have time. Once that is done then I will install the Engine and post a few picks.. I have to repair the A/C in a rental house that has more priority than the tank. It makes money and the Oddy Takes it. LOL Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:40 am 

birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

Hey Bud what's up? The tank will be raised up when finished to get to the plug if all measurements are correct. I did think about the back to mount the tank but didn't like it. I have backed into enough trees and been bumped enough that I just didn't like it. I plan on maybe getting the tank installed this evening if I have time. Once that is done then I will install the Engine and post a few picks.. I have to repair the A/C in a rental house that has more priority than the tank. It makes money and the Oddy Takes it. LOL Thanks Billy

My bad, I thought that was the placement. Didn't realize it was just sitting there as a mock up. LOL.
You have a good point that I didn't think off and that was if you have fuel tanks at the back you can puncture them if you back into something. That was something I didn't think about and thanks for the heads up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

My bad, I thought that was the placement. Didn't realize it was just sitting there as a mock up. LOL.
You have a good point that I didn't think off and that was if you have fuel tanks at the back you can puncture them if you back into something. That was something I didn't think about and thanks for the heads up.

That's cool I got one side tacked together last night, and hopefully will get to the other this evening. Then I can finally set the Engine and fire it up. Or that is the tentative plan anyway. LOL I'll post some pics. when I get the Engine installed. The electrolysis worked great on my exhaust chamber so I started on the silencer last night it will probably be ready tonight to clean up and get ready to paint. I'm just doing this to help stop future problems. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 pm 

I got both fuel tank brackets finished today and the silencer out of the electrolysis and partly cleaned up. would have installed the Engine but waiting on the bolts and mounts to dry from cleaning.

Attachments:
photo 3 (9).JPG
photo 3 (9).JPG [ 98.18 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
photo 1 (9).JPG
photo 1 (9).JPG [ 117.57 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:20 pm 

Ok I got to install the Engine this morning and plan on starting it today (hopefully)!

Attachments:
File comment: plenty of room for plug removal and to work on Engine.
photo 2 (12).JPG
photo 2 (12).JPG [ 91.12 KiB | Viewed 758 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 pm 

I finally started her up today, Spun a few times and started right up. I cycled it for 10 min. and shut it down. But I did get a few surface temp. readings, not that they will account for much right now but once it is seated in and I put water in it they should tell a few things. This is what I got today:
Head surface temp 199.30 deg. Taken right above the exhaust.
Cylinder surface temp. 180.80 deg. Taken right above the exhaust.
Header pipe "about 5-6" from cylinder" 417.30 deg.
All temp checks were done at 1400 to 1420 rpm with 8-9 min. of run time. I don't have a EGT (yet) but I will. Just finally glad to get enough time to hook up the small things and start it up.

The only thing that is close or the lest bit hard to get to is the choke but after it cools down I will check on getting to it from the opposite side. I think it will work out ok. I do like the way the tank is tucked in and not out past the bars like before. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:06 am 

Your getting closer, have you ever run a two stroke when it was getting hot or over heating?

If your paying attention and if your use to the machine you can feel and hear the changes as a Engine approaches and reaches a over heating condition, as the Engine starts to over heat the throttle response is not as crisp and the power is down, its almost like how the Engine runs when its cold and you can feel the power and throttle response improve as the Engine warms up.

Again if you have experience with a particular machine, lots of seat time, know it well, its like anything else if your riding and you start to question yourself about its performance that's a good time to stop and think about whats going on.

For example years ago I was riding my ATC250R in the snow, friends and I rode most the day having a great time, on the way home we decided to race back see who could get their the fastest, I was leading the pack WOT (Wide Open Throttle), top out 5th gear running across the fields for miles following he snowmobile tracks, I was thinking "man this thing has never run so good" then poofkaboom the Engine locked up, the piston had seized, after I rolled to a stop it dawned on me what had just happen as I wen to get off my 3 wheeler and my knees were almost locked up, my knees were froze, a cold front had just blew in and the temps dropped about 25 degrees, my jetting was close to the edge the cold front pushed it over that edge.

Another example in the Pilot running at Little Sahara on a really warm day chasing each other in the trails, all but two of us in the group had stopped to take a break us two were having such a great time kept chasing each other, I felt my throttle response going flat on the Pilot but for some reason just could not stop, finally the other guy stopped to rest and get a drink when I stopped I noticed coolant running out my over flow, yeah just blew another head gasket :shock:

If you notice something seems different stop and think what your feeling/hearing vibration or a new or different noise....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:32 pm 

birvin wrote:
All temp checks were done at 1400 to 1420 rpm with 8-9 min. of run time.

I thought this sound low, so I looked it up and the manual actually says 1400 +/- 150 rpm. Interesting, I have my idle set at 1700-1800rpm.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:41 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
birvin wrote:

I thought this sound low, so I looked it up and the manual actually says 1400 +/- 150 rpm. Interesting, I have my idle set at 1700-1800rpm.

Do you mean all of the time or just at break-in? I bet when you put it in gear it likes to jump out from under you. Just Kidding.. LOL I just went by what I had read on here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:08 pm 

birvin wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
birvin wrote:

Do you mean all of the time or just at break-in? I bet when you put it in gear it likes to jump out from under you. Just Kidding.. LOL I just went by what I had read on here.

I do have to kinda' ease her into gear, but I've always run the idle a little high. My 94c engagement is around 3.2k if I remember right (stock Sally clutch is 3.4k).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:23 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
birvin wrote:
DMoneyAllstar wrote:
birvin wrote:

I do have to kinda' ease her into gear, but I've always run the idle a little high. My 94c engagement is around 3.2k if I remember right (stock Sally clutch is 3.4k).

For me that is to high. But I'm at work and can't get to my manual until tonight. I like mine set so when you place it in gear it don't jump or grind. I'm wanting to say 800- 1,000. is where I was running mine. (But May Be Wrong). Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:12 pm 

I got a small wear in done today, I rechecked the compression and it came up to 130 psi. I have plenty room to get to the plug, the choke is a different matter. But I think I have it figured out. but that is a small problem. I think. lol I have a few pics. to show but I haven't ran the cooling lines yet.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the front view.
front engine.JPG
front engine.JPG [ 112.68 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
File comment: This is a closer look.
close engine.JPG
close engine.JPG [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
File comment: Right side view.
right side.JPG
right side.JPG [ 101.66 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
File comment: left side view.
left engine.JPG
left engine.JPG [ 107.68 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:07 pm 

That's still a sexy lookin Engine to me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:26 pm 

Yes it is, no offence but looks like something outta Dr Seuss :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:

LOL.....you have a Dr. Seuss fetish?........j/k

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:12 pm 

Lonerider wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

When I was a kid!?! I liked how everything looked like it was built from Barneys basement but it always worked...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:55 am 

stix wrote:
Lonerider wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

When I was a kid!?! I liked how everything looked like it was built from Barneys basement but it always worked...

I made that comment because my two engines look like that but only one of them works right now.
Waiting for a stock cylinder so I can replace the modified cylinder.

Attachments:
oddzilla 2.jpg
oddzilla 2.jpg [ 58.72 KiB | Viewed 685 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 am 

canadian oddy wrote:

Don't tell anybody but I have had "a few sexual events" with it. LOL If you look at the close view you can see that there is plenty of room to get to the plug or the top of the head. You won't be able to look at the Engine compartment and see much but I think that's ok. I'll be glad to ride it again but time is kicking my butt, but Hell I got time. I plan on getting the water hoses today and may get them installed today I hope.
Where did you put your temp gage? I am thinking about on top of the steering wheel above the light switch. That was it is easy to see and can flip on the fan as needed. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 am 

stix wrote:
Yes it is, no offence but looks like something outta Dr Seuss :shock:

Thanks but Dr. Seuss never entered my mind. Maybe something out of some SIFI movie. LOL But no offence taken. That's a good one. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:49 am 

stix wrote:
Lonerider wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

It's funny that you should say that because all of the aluminum were drops that I had or I went to a scrap yard and bought them for scrap price. But maybe it will work out! If it does me and Barney will have something in common. When my kids were young they watched Barney and I hated it. LOL Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:24 pm 

birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

Don't tell anybody but I have had "a few sexual events" with it. LOL If you look at the close view you can see that there is plenty of room to get to the plug or the top of the head. You won't be able to look at the Engine compartment and see much but I think that's ok. I'll be glad to ride it again but time is kicking my butt, but Hell I got time. I plan on getting the water hoses today and may get them installed today I hope.
Where did you put your temp gage? I am thinking about on top of the steering wheel above the light switch. That was it is easy to see and can flip on the fan as needed. Thanks Billy

If you zoom in on the picture you can see the temp gauge mounted on the roll bar. I put the gauge into a tuperware container LOL. Its a real good spot because you are always lookin at it.
With regards to the water hoses I suggest you run from the bottom of rad into the head first then to the cyl and back to the rad. I found some cold seizure on mine when I pulled the exhaust. I was running mine the other way and as others have suggested here I am going to re-plumb it all. Also put your temp probe into the cyl. It gets hotter there first. At least that's what have found on mine. I screwed up by putting mine into the head because it was convenient. I am in the process of doing it all over again. It's a learning curve and you can learn from my mistakes.

Attachments:
oddzilla 2 rad.jpg
oddzilla 2 rad.jpg [ 82.64 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:33 pm 

birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

When I had my 350 I mounted my water temp gauge just above the key switch, I used one of those Auto Meter automotive type gauges, like a 2" diameter or something. I really didnt need to look at it much so "in view" wasn't that important to me. The Engine always ran at a normal operating temp, don't remember the temp right off hand though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:49 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

If you zoom in on the picture you can see the temp gauge mounted on the roll bar. I put the gauge into a tuperware container LOL. Its a real good spot because you are always lookin at it.
With regards to the water hoses I suggest you run from the bottom of rad into the head first then to the cyl and back to the rad. I found some cold seizure on mine when I pulled the exhaust. I was running mine the other way and as others have suggested here I am going to re-plumb it all. Also put your temp probe into the cyl. It gets hotter there first. At least that's what have found on mine. I screwed up by putting mine into the head because it was convenient. I am in the process of doing it all over again. It's a learning curve and you can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks for the heads up on the plumbing. Did you run the water pump all of the time that the Engine was running? The reason I'm asking is that I am not going to use a pump. Or not if I don't have to, just one less thing to fool with. I am using a smaller radiator on mine then you are. I also choked the water coming from the cylinder to the head by using a smaller pipe and then going back out with the larger pipe. What I am trying to do is move the water slowly to cool down the cylinder and then head so I won't have a fast cooling of the cylinder or head. In my way of thinking it should work but time will tell. But I appreciate the help on it. Maybe this time you will have a better shot at your build. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next