Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 pm 

I have purchased a Pro X 03.1315 rod based on a post from this site. The issue now is that once the case is put together the rod hits the case. Is this the right rod or not or do you need to shave the case to get this to fit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 pm 

Ultimatepedigree wrote:
I have purchased a Pro X 03.1315 rod based on a post from this site. The issue now is that once the case is put together the rod hits the case. Is this the right rod or not or do you need to shave the case to get this to fit.

If this is for the Pilot Engine the top of the rod has to be machined but the cases should not be touched at all. Speedchaser has performed this for many here, never had to touch the cases to my knowledge. Have you looked in his section for the Pro-X rod mods by chance? Hosers tech pages has documented it I believe as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 am 

No it was for the fl350, when I put the case halfs together the big end bearing side of the rod was rubbing the case. I took the cases apart indexed what I had to shave off and put the case back together. I just didn't know if this was required or not but talked to a buddy and he said he had to do it on some atvs when using hot rods connecting rods and explained how to get the right amount of material out, I hope.
I looked through the site for an explanation but only found part numbers for the rod and nothing on the install. Maybe I just missed it, either way I should have the Engine installed this week, it's been down since February do to work, finishing grad school and having a toddler. Maybe one day I can get some toys that don't require so much attention to keep running lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 am 

This does not surprise me in the least this is why I like using OEM parts they fit, we have no choice in this case OEM parts are no longer being made so have to use after market, the OD of the big end of the rid must be slightly larger than the OEM rod was, any guesses how much material you had to remove to make it fit, might be a good idea to take the new rod and dress the big end on a belt sander before installing on the crank?

When I get time I will dig out a OEM 350 rod and compare it to the prox rod.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:50 pm 

Not sure on the amount I did it in a few steps as oppose to one large one using a dremel on the case and sanding the rod as I figured a little off both was better than a lot off of either one. The crank moves fluidly now but was unable to complete a revolution before modifying. Figured others should now that there would have to be some modifications in order to get this rod to work as it surprised me upon installation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:29 pm 

Ultimatepedigree wrote:
Not sure on the amount I did it in a few steps as oppose to one large one using a dremel on the case and sanding the rod as I figured a little off both was better than a lot off of either one. The crank moves fluidly now but was unable to complete a revolution before modifying. Figured others should now that there would have to be some modifications in order to get this rod to work as it surprised me upon installation.

I just installed the same rod in mine and had the same problem, But I slid the piston and cyclinder on and that stopped it from touching the casing. Mine was touching in the front right where the gasket was installed in the crank case. I hope this helped Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:02 pm 

Yea it's a pain not being abl to get oem parts, if I could of got a large end bearing I would of went that route. This Engine had about a quart of water in it so I wanted to replace everything. Sucks I had to use Chinese bearings from oddatv on evilbay though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:15 pm 

Hey Hoser. It looks like UlitmateP used this rod from this thread in the parts section. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10185. Might be a good idea to update the parts thread to let buyers know they will have to shave some off the rod in order to fit. Just wanted to make sure its a good idea before I did it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm 

Ok I had some time in the shop today so opened up one of the rod kits I bought its the Prox Pro X 03.1315 I bought two of these to use in the future in my FL350 FL250 81-84 ATC250R Engine rebuilds.

The big end of the Pro X 03.1315 rod appears to be slightly larger than the one used OEM FL350 rod I have I tried to take pictures but they are so close its not like one is noticeably bigger than the other one, I will dress up the big end of these rods a little on a belt sander before installing in the future and will be ready to have to clearance the cases. Their is a raised area in the center of the rod I will assume that is where its rubbing.

The bottom rod is the OEM.

Edited this post to reflect the problem. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10185

Attachments:
DSCN1628.JPG
DSCN1628.JPG [ 51.62 KiB | Viewed 1154 times ]
DSCN1632.JPG
DSCN1632.JPG [ 53.74 KiB | Viewed 1154 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:56 pm 

So I have the rod, what is a good source for the pin? can I reuse my factory pin if it is not all scored up? I can check the tolerance of it verses the new short pin that came with the pro x rod.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:29 am 

dbloudharleys wrote:
So I have the rod, what is a good source for the pin? can I reuse my factory pin if it is not all scored up? I can check the tolerance of it verses the new short pin that came with the pro x rod.

I would not reuse stock pin the pin will be wore even if its not scored it will not be round any more from ware

but hay you could all ways turn it 90° and get some use out of it :-) that if you can get it pressed back in crank half's with out it scoring the bores up

Speed

heck i should make a bunch stock fl350 crank pins :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:47 pm 

speedchaser wrote:
dbloudharleys wrote:

I would not reuse stock pin the pin will be wore even if its not scored it will not be round any more from ware

but hay you could all ways turn it 90° and get some use out of it :-) that if you can get it pressed back in crank half's with out it scoring the bores up

Speed

heck i should make a bunch stock fl350 crank pins :shock:

Yes you should so they are the exact length we need any idea on the cost?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm 

That is the only thing I have left and I can put the new Engine together. I have the rest of the pieces. What type of material would that pin be made of speed ? and would it have to be hardened, I have access to a lathe but my knowledge is limited as to
different metals. If you decide to turn out a few count me in for 4 of the danged things That is how many lowers I have right now.

Profile E-mail