Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm 

I have changed my Fl350 Engine from air cooled to water cooled, but I am needing longer studs for the head. I need them to be 90mm long. (approximately) From everything I have found out they are grade 8.8, I believe I have seen them on here as a kit but can't find them. If anyone knows where there maybe a good place to get or check please let me know. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 pm 

58 Items Found for BOLT, STUD 8x90
http://www.partzilla.com/search/?q=BOLT ... &x=13&y=12

Found for BOLT, STUD 8x95 http://www.partzilla.com/search/?q=+BOL ... 95&x=0&y=0

Then just a google search https://www.google.com/search?q=BOLT%2C ... channel=sb

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:30 pm 

hoser wrote:

Thanks hoser, I am going to give partzilla a call in the morning. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 pm 

birvin wrote:
hoser wrote:

I called partzilla today and all of the bolts that they have are a grade 5 at the best. A typical head bolt (US) is a grade 8 or a grade 10.9 (metric) min. I am thinking of buying the 8mm rod (5/16) grade 8 and making them. I'm sure that there are some machinist on here that could let me know how hard it would be to thread them. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 pm 

Why do you need longer studs ?? You water cooled the original head didn't you ??
Also threading the grade 8 rod will be a bit of a chore, it can be hard. Make sure you use lots of oil and have a spare die around. The die must be new not some worn out crap from your tool box. Don't force the die. Also the split type adjustable die will break if you don't have the proper handle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:51 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Why do you need longer studs ?? You water cooled the original head didn't you ??
Also threading the grade 8 rod will be a bit of a chore, it can be hard. Make sure you use lots of oil and have a spare die around. The die must be new not some worn out crap from your tool box. Don't force the die. Also the split type adjustable die will break if you don't have the proper handle.

I am looking at options as far as the longer studs. I could bring them up to the top of the head and install the nuts to hold the head on. Or I could make mine like you did and install a gasket or O-ring to seal it, that way if another leak comes up it will be easier to fix. On the rod I plan on taking it to our machine shop and letting them thread it on the lathe, or I will. Mainly just looking at my best options for further down the road. Once I start riding it regular I don't want to spend all day working on it when I could be riding. Then do the PM on it after I get back from a day of riding. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 pm 

birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I am looking at options as far as the longer studs. I could bring them up to the top of the head and install the nuts to hold the head on. Or I could make mine like you did and install a gasket or O-ring to seal it, that way if another leak comes up it will be easier to fix. On the rod I plan on taking it to our machine shop and letting them thread it on the lathe, or I will. Mainly just looking at my best options for further down the road. Once I start riding it regular I don't want to spend all day working on it when I could be riding. Then do the PM on it after I get back from a day of riding. Thanks Billy

I am confused.
You should not need any gasket or O-ring to seal anything.
You welded tubes around the studs so how does any water get to that area ??
On my set up the studs and nuts are inside the water jacket area and the water can only get by the studs and into the combustion chamber if the head gasket leaks. On your set up the water can only get into the tube that surrounds the stud if the tube has a leak. Am I wrong ??
The stock studs should work just fine in my opinion. You may have to put the nuts on with a grabbing tool like needle nose pliers or one of those spring loaded three prong grab tools because your studs are down deep in the tube but still there should be no leaks there right ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:36 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I am confused.
On my set up the studs and nuts are inside the water jacket area and the water can only get by the studs and into the combustion chamber if the head gasket leaks. On your set up the water can only get into the tube that surrounds the stud if the tube has a leak. Am I wrong ??
The stock studs should work just fine in my opinion. You may have to put the nuts on with a grabbing tool like needle nose pliers or one of those spring loaded three prong grab tools because your studs are down deep in the tube but still there should be no leaks there right ??

Ok don't be confused. I am just looking at options for a better way to improve the head. I talked to my buddy at the machine shop and he is willing to built a head as a project for me on his CNC so that's where the longer studs come in. And also the gasket or O-rings. Did this help on the confusion??? Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:33 am 

birvin wrote:
birvin wrote:
hoser wrote:

I called partzilla today and all of the bolts that they have are a grade 5 at the best. A typical head bolt (US) is a grade 8 or a grade 10.9 (metric) min. I am thinking of buying the 8mm rod (5/16) grade 8 and making them. I'm sure that there are some machinist on here that could let me know how hard it would be to thread them. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks Billy

What grade is the studs Honda used for the stock head studs?

Grade 5 studs will not take 30 ft lbs torque?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 am 

hoser wrote:
birvin wrote:
birvin wrote:
hoser wrote:

What grade is the studs Honda used for the stock head studs?

Grade 5 studs will not take 30 ft lbs torque?

From what I could gather the other day on the phone with them was a min. of 10.9 for metric. I will be checking next week on a Rockwell tester so then I will know. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:49 am 

Strength grade of the head studs are metric 10.9.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 pm 

birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
birvin wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

I am confused.

Ok don't be confused. I am just looking at options for a better way to improve the head. I talked to my buddy at the machine shop and he is willing to built a head as a project for me on his CNC so that's where the longer studs come in. And also the gasket or O-rings. Did this help on the confusion??? Thanks Billy

Ok got it now. If you are getting any water cooled heads made by your buddy remember me :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm 

That's why I'm trying to find the different studs and also have been looking at different O-rings and material. It wouldn't do any good to build one then not be able to mount it down or connect it up. We are going to try one and see how it works and use it as a test bed. Now that the "Cat is out of the Bag" so to speak LOL do you have any suggestion's? Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:28 pm 

birvin wrote:
That's why I'm trying to find the different studs and also have been looking at different O-rings and material. It wouldn't do any good to build one then not be able to mount it down or connect it up. We are going to try one and see how it works and use it as a test bed. Now that the "Cat is out of the Bag" so to speak LOL do you have any suggestion's? Thanks Billy

Do one like Ziggy does use off the shelf O rings and studs. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13276&view=next

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:36 pm 

hoser wrote:
birvin wrote:

Do one like Ziggy does use off the shelf O rings and studs. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13276&view=next

The O-rings are not a problem, it has been the studs. But we have talked about how to make them and it not be to expensive. The aluminum is going to be the biggest cost, but the labor will be minimal. Trying to keep the price as low as possible and still get a good product. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:14 pm 

birvin wrote:
hoser wrote:
birvin wrote:

The O-rings are not a problem, it has been the studs. But we have talked about how to make them and it not be to expensive. The aluminum is going to be the biggest cost, but the labor will be minimal. Trying to keep the price as low as possible and still get a good product. Thanks Billy

Yeah that price of aluminum is always a hard one to over come if your going to make just one you might get lucky and find something at your local recyclers for scrap price you can use but if your going to make a few and have to buy new...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:58 pm 

I am checking around now for the aluminum to see what I can come up with. Once the first one is built I will post some pics. and cost. One of the first issues the we have talked about is what size the inlet and outlet need to be. I am running a 3/4" on mine but will that work for others? What size is on the pilot? Just in the planning stage so far but I would like some input to look at before we really get to deep into it. The more minds the better. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:06 pm 

weld on -12 AN fittings. they are roughly 3/4"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:28 pm 

fully wrote:
weld on -12 AN fittings. they are roughly 3/4"

Ok I'll put it on the list. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:13 am 

i used grade 8 all thread for my head studs

i got it at fasenall

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 am 

B S wrote:

i got it at fasenall

Have you ran it much? And have you checked it see if they need to be retorted? Just checking for options, let us know how much run time you have on them and any other info you can provide so we all will have a option to go if needed. Thanks Billy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 am 

birvin wrote:
B S wrote:

i got it at fasenall

Have you ran it much? And have you checked it see if they need to be retorted? Just checking for options, let us know how much run time you have on them and any other info you can provide so we all will have a option to go if needed. Thanks Billy

I had only 5 hrs when I sold it
not too sure what the new owner put on it

I checked them before I sold it only one was loose

Profile E-mail