Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me odyssey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:12 am 

J/k had to get attention somehow haha!

Anyways just picked a fl350 up last weekend and still learning as I go. I never reallly knew about them on any level and here I am knees deep into this thing already.

I picked it up for ehh $300 or so but actually less in the grand scheme of things. Hell I didn't even know what it was really worth. But it didn't run and it was a gamble. 2 hours after being home it was running and driving woot woot!!!!

Anyways I do have a decent amount of work ahead. The pull start doesn't retract and the pulley is broken :( and the solenoid just clicks or makes a zzt noise and nothing. Then the full throttle pedal to the metal issue..... Upon riding it my friend had to jump a curb and then come coasting back to my house. the throttle doesnt necessarily stick as you can push it and its opening and closing so does that sound like new jets or clean them at least?

So questions I have, does it sound like the solenoids ok and its just on the starter end of the spectrum? can the retract on the pull start be fixed or is it a buy a whole new assembly kind of deal here? Has anyone rebuilt them and whats the level of difficulty for lets say a very handy person that generally has no issues doing something new?

I have more but can't remember as I am sneaking on the computer at work so I can fullfill my new addiction! lol On that note, should I leave this thing as stock as possible (except a water cooled head, as I want better protection) or not worry about it fully? Im just curious on opinions for that as I went to school for cad and work with lasers and saws so my minds running rampant on things I can to modify this thing and make it more ergonomical for me and potential riders!?!?!?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New to me odyssey
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:00 pm 

rwake wrote:
J/k had to get attention somehow haha!

Anyways just picked a fl350 up last weekend and still learning as I go. I never reallly knew about them on any level and here I am knees deep into this thing already.

I picked it up for ehh $300 or so but actually less in the grand scheme of things. Hell I didn't even know what it was really worth. But it didn't run and it was a gamble. 2 hours after being home it was running and driving woot woot!!!!

Anyways I do have a decent amount of work ahead. The pull start doesn't retract and the pulley is broken :( and the solenoid just clicks or makes a zzt noise and nothing. Then the full throttle pedal to the metal issue..... Upon riding it my friend had to jump a curb and then come coasting back to my house. the throttle doesnt necessarily stick as you can push it and its opening and closing so does that sound like new jets or clean them at least?

So questions I have, does it sound like the solenoids ok and its just on the starter end of the spectrum? can the retract on the pull start be fixed or is it a buy a whole new assembly kind of deal here? Has anyone rebuilt them and whats the level of difficulty for lets say a very handy person that generally has no issues doing something new?

I have more but can't remember as I am sneaking on the computer at work so I can fullfill my new addiction! lol On that note, should I leave this thing as stock as possible (except a water cooled head, as I want better protection) or not worry about it fully? Im just curious on opinions for that as I went to school for cad and work with lasers and saws so my minds running rampant on things I can to modify this thing and make it more ergonomical for me and potential riders!?!?!?

Congrates on your new acquisition. Lets take this one question at a time.
1) Pull start no retract and pulley broken: Might be better to buy one from some one here
2) Solenoid just zzt: Your brushes in the starter may be toast and it needs a re&re or the power cable is shorting out on something. Don't start it anymore until you check this out.
3) "friend" came coasting back: sounds like the cable may have detached from the slide. Take the carb apart and clean it and check the cable to slide hook up. It all needs to be checked anyways.
4) No surfing on the net at work. It will cost you your job and you are stealing from your employer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm 

In my opinion on buying any oddy I would do the following before I even start it:
1) Do a compression check
2) Do a leak down pressure and vacuum test
3) Check fuel pump flow if it passes the leak down tests
4) Take the carb apart, clean it well and check the jetting according to the manual
5) Check your fuel tank, is it rusty ?? If it is get it cleaned and coated inside (which will most likely require you to make an alternate fuel pickup line).
6) Now you can think about starting it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:43 pm 

Fuel pump and tank are good it hasn't sat for a long time or anything extensive. The cable for the carb appears to be good and can hear it open the carb up. It'll be a bit to do tests but won't be running it. Just wanted to make sure it did run and only tried that day.

And I get on during breaks no stealing just sneaking the computer use. Nothing they'd fire me for, it takes a lot to get fired trust me I've witnessed a lot lol!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:56 pm 

Oh and I'll be getting a spun tank and fuel pump from a Polaris scrambler so this pump and tank will be gone! Got a lot of plans while it's down for the winter! Really wanting to fab an aluminum intake rather than modify the original plastic one so it can split into two hoses but might just modify the existing one and save time. Just don't like modifying OEM parts!

So compression test leak down, check wires.

I missed the slide part of the carb, any chance to bother you for a picture of what your meaning or direction? Lol...
Anyone know if auto zone has the tools to check compression if I remember correctly they have the loan tools right? Also, never done a leak down what's the right way to go about it?
What would you recommend for the starter to rebuild or buy new?

I do plan on going through the entire thing and re doing it all. Im hoping to have most of it new!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 pm 

rwake wrote:
Oh and I'll be getting a spun tank and fuel pump from a Polaris scrambler so this pump and tank will be gone! Got a lot of plans while it's down for the winter! Really wanting to fab an aluminum intake rather than modify the original plastic one so it can split into two hoses but might just modify the existing one and save time. Just don't like modifying OEM parts!

So compression test leak down, check wires.

I missed the slide part of the carb, any chance to bother you for a picture of what your meaning or direction? Lol...
Anyone know if auto zone has the tools to check compression if I remember correctly they have the loan tools right? Also, never done a leak down what's the right way to go about it?
What would you recommend for the starter to rebuild or buy new?

I do plan on going through the entire thing and re doing it all. Im hoping to have most of it new!

1) Slide part of the carb: you already figured it out when you said you could here it open the carb.
2) Compression tester: there has been an entire thread here on this site about this and you can find it if you use the search box. Suggest you buy a good one as you will need it many times from now on.
3) Leak down tester: many threads here on this site about it, just use the search box. Basically you need to plug the vacuum hose to the fuel pump, remove carb and plug carb intake boot, remove exhaust and plug outlet on the cylinder. You need to put a valve stem on this exhaust plug so you can add pressure and vacuum. Also a gauge must be added to this exhaust plug as well.
4) Starter: you can get rebuild kits from Honda (31201-MA6-000 & 31206-MA6-000) you need both. I believe these are the right numbers.

Profile E-mail