Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:29 pm 

Have a fl 350 needing work trying to find some in so cal thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:48 am 

What do you need done to it?

These are fairly simplistic machines and most of the work can be done with simple hand tools. If it is something that you don't have the knowledge to repair, we can walk you through it.

If not you can drag it all the way up here to Northern Nevada and I'll work on it for you.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:38 pm 

were at in so cal.....? I could help you out... dune dart

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:16 pm 

Randman wrote:
What do you need done to it?

These are fairly simplistic machines and most of the work can be done with simple hand tools. If it is something that you don't have the knowledge to repair, we can walk you through it.

If not you can drag it all the way up here to Northern Nevada and I'll work on it for you.

Rand

Rand is the man! Did 3 for me a couple years ago and we ride the snot out of them and have had 0 issues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:19 pm 

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:21 pm 

Thanks for the replys , So I picked up a fl350 a cpl months ago that needed work. The fl 350 has a water cooled head. The jug is bored over to a 82 mm I believe with a lot of porting and has 2 small holes in piston. Has aftermarket exhaust also. I took head off replaced gaskets and had head honed out, piston had light scuffing but not bad so I thought I would try to use it before new piston and having new sleeve put in. So here are my questions I wanna make reliable so I wanna get everything right as possible as of now I need a new carb installed to use with aluminum fuel tank don't know if I need a fuel pump etc. also water cooled head don't know if I need water pump or just leave the way it was. Also breather tube mod sounds important. This is why I would like someone to go over it also have digitron brand new that would like installed and have new piston if it needs it. I live in West Covina ca so if thers some one out ther pm please thank you . Might have to make that trip to Nevada

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:08 pm 

drew22287 wrote:
Thanks for the replys , So I picked up a fl350 a cpl months ago that needed work. The fl 350 has a water cooled head. The jug is bored over to a 82 mm I believe with a lot of porting and has 2 small holes in piston. Has aftermarket exhaust also. I took head off replaced gaskets and had head honed out, piston had light scuffing but not bad so I thought I would try to use it before new piston and having new sleeve put in. So here are my questions I wanna make reliable so I wanna get everything right as possible as of now I need a new carb installed to use with aluminum fuel tank don't know if I need a fuel pump etc. also water cooled head don't know if I need water pump or just leave the way it was. Also breather tube mod sounds important. This is why I would like someone to go over it also have digitron brand new that would like installed and have new piston if it needs it. I live in West Covina ca so if thers some one out ther pm please thank you . Might have to make that trip to Nevada

What an awesome excuse to go to vegas without the wife.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:04 pm 

drew22287 wrote:

OK here's the skinny.....

1.) As far as the piston goes, you need to check to see what the piston to cylinder clearance is. If the piston is too worn, you will get piston slap and it will fracture the piston and probably destroy the bottom end in the process.

A) Pull the cylinder and remove the piston from the connecting rod. Place the cylinder on a bench upside down. Place the piston back into the cylinder (as it would have been when running front of piston to intake) and the check to see how large of a feeler gauge you can put between the piston and cylinder. If you can get larger than a .006" feeler gauge in there, it's at minimum time for a new piston. At maximum, its a re-sleeve job. If the cylinder has been ported, then whoever installs the sleeve will have to match the porting.

2.) What type of carb are you running? If you are running a stock Kehin carb, then you will have to run a fuel pump. The reason is because the fuel inlet valve body is not large enough to gravity feed. It will starve at full throttle and will burn holes in the top of the piston. If you have an aftermarket carb, you may be able to change the fuel inlet valve to a larger size. I recommend running a fuel pump regardless. Better safe that sorry. If you have the stock pump, it can easily be rebuilt.

3.) As far as the breather tube you are talking about I'm guessing its the ballancer vent system. This is an important modification to keep the oil oil of the starter. I did quite a bit of experimentation and design work on this and wound up designing a system which uses a bellows system which keeps the system closed and there is no modifications needed to the case. The only draw back to this system is you have to remove the hose to check your oil in the ballancer. Others like to modify the case and then then use a bellows or a fuel filter and leave the end of the system open. I highly recommend using a sealed system with a bellows. I have modified 6 Ody's in this fashion and it works well.

If you can't find someone to do the work for you, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:29 pm 

Randman wrote:
drew22287 wrote:

OK here's the skinny.....

1.) As far as the piston goes, you need to check to see what the piston to cylinder clearance is. If the piston is too worn, you will get piston slap and it will fracture the piston and probably destroy the bottom end in the process.

A) Pull the cylinder and remove the piston from the connecting rod. Place the cylinder on a bench upside down. Place the piston back into the cylinder (as it would have been when running front of piston to intake) and the check to see how large of a feeler gauge you can put between the piston and cylinder. If you can get larger than a .006" feeler gauge in there, it's at minimum time for a new piston. At maximum, its a re-sleeve job. If the cylinder has been ported, then whoever installs the sleeve will have to match the porting.

2.) What type of carb are you running? If you are running a stock Kehin carb, then you will have to run a fuel pump. The reason is because the fuel inlet valve body is not large enough to gravity feed. It will starve at full throttle and will burn holes in the top of the piston. If you have an aftermarket carb, you may be able to change the fuel inlet valve to a larger size. I recommend running a fuel pump regardless. Better safe that sorry. If you have the stock pump, it can easily be rebuilt.

3.) As far as the breather tube you are talking about I'm guessing its the ballancer vent system. This is an important modification to keep the oil oil of the starter. I did quite a bit of experimentation and design work on this and wound up designing a system which uses a bellows system which keeps the system closed and there is no modifications needed to the case. The only draw back to this system is you have to remove the hose to check your oil in the ballancer. Others like to modify the case and then then use a bellows or a fuel filter and leave the end of the system open. I highly recommend using a sealed system with a bellows. I have modified 6 Ody's in this fashion and it works well.

If you can't find someone to do the work for you, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Rand

Hey Rand I have a quick disconnect on my breather hose/bellows setup. See pic.
Disconnect is real cheap and you can put it anywhere on the hose you want.
If you look at the pics you can see it on the with plastic hose right above the exhaust pipe.
One on each machine.

Attachments:
20141005_203103.jpg
20141005_203103.jpg [ 61.5 KiB | Viewed 4366 times ]
20141005_203125.jpg
20141005_203125.jpg [ 63.86 KiB | Viewed 4366 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:32 am 

On the setup I designed, its a short hose with a bellows on the end. You just twist the entire hose assembly off to remove it.

I posted the final revision of my mod but the pictures are now corrupted.

Rand

Profile E-mail