Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 am 

Hello. This is my first post in the forum. I purchased a FL350. My Bad. LOL
And Yes I already have a service manual.
It does not run at the moment because of old broken fuel lines and perhaps in need of a top end.
However it appears that it had once been running by using an electric fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator attached?

The pump and regulator still works.
Is there any reason why I should not use this setup?
And if I do what setting do you think the fuel regulator should be set on. It has 1-5 on it with 1/2 marks in between. And how would you recommend plumbing the lines.

The old vacuum line that use to go the the stock pump is blocked off.

From the looks of it when I got it, this setup had been used for quite some time.

If the general opinion here on the forum says NO, then should I just go back to the standard stock setup??

And if YES to that question , what type of fuel pump?? I have seen "replacement" type pumps from different sources of FL350 part people.
They say they will work but fit a little different

Attachments:
20150308_153913.jpg
20150308_153913.jpg [ 51.43 KiB | Viewed 5739 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:45 pm 

tolarfl350 wrote:
Hello. This is my first post in the forum. I purchased a FL350. My Bad. LOL
And Yes I already have a service manual.
It does not run at the moment because of old broken fuel lines and perhaps in need of a top end.
However it appears that it had once been running by using an electric fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator attached?

The pump and regulator still works.
Is there any reason why I should not use this setup?
And if I do what setting do you think the fuel regulator should be set on. It has 1-5 on it with 1/2 marks in between. And how would you recommend plumbing the lines.

The old vacuum line that use to go the the stock pump is blocked off.

From the looks of it when I got it, this setup had been used for quite some time.

If the general opinion here on the forum says NO, then should I just go back to the standard stock setup??

And if YES to that question , what type of fuel pump?? I have seen "replacement" type pumps from different sources of FL350 part people.
They say they will work but fit a little different

That is the exact pump and set up a guy had on the first machine I bought but the yoyo forgot to block the vacuum line for the original pump. Yup you guessed it Boooooooom. You said it needs top end work and this may be one of the reasons. The problem with that set up is the pressure will over come the fuel needle in the carb and fuel will piss all over and you will also have flooding issues. Give it up and go back to the way Honda had it. Buy a pump from polaris #3085275. That's the one I use on both my machines with no issues. When buying a pump you need to do a flow test. You need to get approx. 40z in 10sec and this pump does that. On my brothers machine with a high mod Engine it uses 10oz per min fuel (actual fuel use). As a final note here I will have to say that after you do the rebuild and it has passed the pressure and vacuum test you WILL ONLY run avgas or race fuel. I currently have nine melted pistons in my shop. The fuel we get today does not meet the min octane rating in the Honda manual and it is total crap in my opinion. We are all big boys here -- your on your own. Trust me I have experience on the fl350.
Udo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm 

I was kinda of thinking that..ditch it. So ok back to stock then. I will order this Polaris fuel pump.
I already have a NOS three way valve on way as well as fuel filters. so I need a new pump and should be good to go.

I only use Race Fuel mixed with 50 percent high octane from the pump..seems to work good in all my other 2 stoke MX bikes..I assume will be fine for the FL350.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm 

canadian oddy

How and where does this Polaris pump securely hook up and how do you route the fuel lines and what kind of fuel lines..Ive read all sorts of what not to use in regards to fuel lines??

thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:39 pm 

Myself and other FL350 owners have had good luck with the Mikuni DF44 fuel pump, you can mount one tab to the existing pump mount and use some aluminum stock or mending plate to make the other tab fit, or one bolt will hold after all the fuel lines are hooked up.

Attachments:
DF44.jpg
DF44.jpg [ 96.48 KiB | Viewed 5720 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 pm 

tolarfl350 wrote:
canadian oddy

How and where does this Polaris pump securely hook up and how do you route the fuel lines and what kind of fuel lines..Ive read all sorts of what not to use in regards to fuel lines??

thanks

I did what stix has said above. I mounted the polaris pump to a piece of sheet aluminum and used the existing fuel pump mounting holes. Your pump is currently bolted to it. As for fuel lines I just use regular fuel hose that you can buy at your local auto supply store and keep them as short as reasonable with out them being to tight. One thing I would like to add is my return fuel line goes up the side of the roll bar and then down into the tank. I do this so that there is some head pressure and I also made my own check valve instead of using the stock Honda check. Your choice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:25 am 

I would just like to resurrect this post for a moment.
Looking at those pics I see a lot of rust everywhere. Don't like that because it tells me the guy left it outside in the elements. That means condensation or water in the fuel tank. When you open the fuel cap and look in you better not see any rust. If you do you will have to get the tank flushed and coated inside. Also, and I speak from experience here as I had to walk out of the mountains about 20kms through grizzly country, I would find another way to draw fuel from the tank if the pickup tubes look rusted. That's what happened to me -- the reserve tube was all corroded up and no fuel flowed and it was time for a walk. I don't use the stock fuel pickups. I drilled the drain plug and installed the hose there. It's up to you --- every man for himself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:06 am 

Yeah if there's rust redo inside of tank on mine reserve line was also plugged took tank off relined with redcote then cut off reserve metal line in tank around filler cap purchased rubber fuel line slid over metal cut off reserve line in tank put small weight on to hold in bottom works great oh tried to blow out reserve line with 180 psi air plugged solid then decided to cut

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:25 am 

Looks like a non OEM gas cap too if not properly vented might cause fuel delivery problems also?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 am 

I will check the lines.
Surprisingly, the fuel tank is spot on.
Someone else had it coated sometime in its life.
The inside is all silvery coated and not shiny like bare metal would be.

The key that I have for the ignition fits the fuel tank lock, so I am assuming it is factory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 am 

That is a factory fuel cap.

The pressure regulator that is on there is probably an EMPI VW related POS!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:49 am 

I agree, the PO did some engineering I guess when the factory pump went out. Not knowing what he was really doing.

Probably contributed to the piston blowing up.

It is going back to all stock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 am 

Here is the fuel pump fitted single bolt to the tank

Mikuni DF44

fitted same a Stix

I run the standard Honda fuel filter
but I also run a clear walbro inline filter between the OEM filter and the fuel pump

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-p ... uel-filter

Attachments:
IMAG0073.jpg
IMAG0073.jpg [ 72.29 KiB | Viewed 5677 times ]
 Profile E-mail