Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:26 pm 

Ok, well I went home at lunch. I couldn't stand it and pulled the piston from the beast.

I found it to have a .50MM Wiseco in it.

It is not stock obviously.

So..my question is how many more sizes up can that cylinder take??

It will have to be bored.

There is not scouring or gouging on the walls but on the exhaust side I can feel some "humps" so to speak.

Perhaps this is some of the aluminum from the piston??

Should I take it to my machine shop guy first and have him tell me what size he thinks before I just buy a new piston.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments:
20150310_131818.jpg
20150310_131818.jpg [ 26.3 KiB | Viewed 4259 times ]
20150310_131839.jpg
20150310_131839.jpg [ 49.56 KiB | Viewed 4259 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 pm 

So doing some research on my own, the choices seem to be

80.5 this is whats in it now?? right

So I have three sizes I can get now?? right ??

Depending on what my machine shop guys says.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 pm 

Post detail pictures of your cylinder wall, if their is aluminum deposited on the cylinder from the piston most likely the machinist will tell you it needs bored to the next size.

The proper way would be to remove the aluminum stuck to the cylinder wall, muratic acid and a tooth brush works well to dissolve the aluminum, now the aluminum is removed then they can hone the cylinder to ensure its still round and to setup for a new set of rings, now the cylinder is prepped where it could be used again they would measure it to see if a over size bore is required.

Its been my experience that most shops just tell you it needs bored because they don't want to spend the time and do all of the required steps they could care less if you waste a bore or not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm 

Poor thing met a early death, an air leak can cause a lean condition, poor quality fuel can cause detonation, improper jetting, make sure to pressure test the Engine before running again to ensure its sealed and the crank seals are not sucking air. :-) If you don't find the condition that causes it to burn a piston it will most likely do the same thing to the next piston you install.

While its apart make sure to go through the entire fuel system to make sure it clean and free from water.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm 

Yes I am going to replace all the crank seals for sure while it is out.
Perhaps someone ran it without the right oil..who knows.

The piston did not have holes exhaust bridge holes in it as well.

I will make sure those are added this time around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am 

So the cylinder wall actually looks pretty good far as I can tell. I think after I get the little bit of melted piston off of it that it should hone out fairly well. I cant see that it would need to be bored to the next size.
What do you think?

Attachments:
20150310_204814.jpg
20150310_204814.jpg [ 45.19 KiB | Viewed 4215 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:31 pm 

tolarfl350 wrote:
So the cylinder wall actually looks pretty good far as I can tell. I think after I get the little bit of melted piston off of it that it should hone out fairly well. I cant see that it would need to be bored to the next size.
What do you think?

That's a pretty crappy picture. No way anyone can tell with that pic. Your gona have to make the call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm 

Yeah take better pictures, I have to sometimes take 10 pictures to get just one picture clear enough to post on the site showing the details I want others to see. Try different lighting different angles.

Your looking for melted aluminum stuck to the cylinder wall, most the time its closer to the top of the cylinder not the bottom flip the cylinder over and try taking more please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:09 pm 

Make sure the bridge is relieved too, it may not have caused this problem but you can prevent what may be your next.

Profile E-mail