Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 pm 

So I just bought a fl350 and took it out and loved it till it died on me. I took it home and turns out the carb was shot so ordered a mikuni 34mm flat side carb. I also ordered boysen power reeds and I ordered a much bigger airbox I'm going to fabricate to work for the 350 So it won't have any issues with breathing. I also replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. My question is what jets should I order if everything else is stock except my Engine has been bored to a 82mm.

I can't seem to find anything online so any help I can get will be greatly appriciated. I live in Sacramento so my elevation is 52ft but I also go to tahoe which is a lot higher.

Kevin

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:04 am 

bad420penguins wrote:
So I just bought a fl350 and took it out and loved it till it died on me. I took it home and turns out the carb was shot so ordered a mikuni 34mm flat side carb. I also ordered boysen power reeds and I ordered a much bigger airbox I'm going to fabricate to work for the 350 So it won't have any issues with breathing. I also replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. My question is what jets should I order if everything else is stock except my Engine has been bored to a 82mm.

I can't seem to find anything online so any help I can get will be greatly appriciated. I live in Sacramento so my elevation is 52ft but I also go to tahoe which is a lot higher.

Kevin

You are not to specific on the "till it died on me" part.
Do you still have good compression ??
Anyways back to your question.
I have two flat slides but not on the machines yet but I do have a 34mm round slide mikuni on my machine. Engine is on it's last over bore, boysen reeds, stock exhaust, K&N flyscreen filter.
I run a 260 main but keep in mind that we ONLY RUN AVGAS and 50/1 oil mix. If you run more oil that means you are getting even less gas. My Engine runs lean down low but is still real snappy at the top of the mountains here. We run from near sea level like you up to nearly 5000ft depending on where we go.
When in doubt run it rich and do plug chops. I am not afraid to blow my machines up. Every man for himself. Hopefully someone will chime in here who is running a flat slide. Keep a close eye on the gasket between the cylinder and the crank case. Look under the exhaust outlet for any oily type leaks. I have had issues here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:18 am 

This is what I am talking about when I say keep an eye on the base gasket.
If you ever have to do a rebuild do not use paper or cork type gasket material.
You must use metal type.

Attachments:
File comment: This happened on my machine once.
20140907_220737.jpg
20140907_220737.jpg [ 50.27 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
File comment: This is my brothers machine. We caught it just in time.
20140909_124825.jpg
20140909_124825.jpg [ 41.92 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:24 am 

Here is some reading for you. Obviously not what I am running is it ??
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1898&start=0
Hope this cut and paste job worked.

You seem to be new here and I am not sure how much you know about the oddys but if I have one thing to say that will help you is make damn sure you run the right octane fuel and your fuel pump puts out the required flow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm 

It was running a little rough but I was riding it for a few hours till I stopped to take a break and right before I turned it off the Engine just stopped and wouldn't resart. I checked the fuel pump which was bad so decided to have my friend do a carb rebuild and the carb was shot as well. I hate to say it but I'm not experienced with working on engines or vehicles of any kind really I just bought it to have fun and now I'm realizing it may have been a bad idea lol. All the same what's done is done and now I'm left trying to get this thing to run. I have not done a compression test how ever. Not sure how to do one but I'm guessing I need some kind of machine. I'm going to go check now for leaking gaskets. Thanks for the help and any help you or any one an connie to lend would be greatly appriciated

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:17 pm 

It looks like there is some kind of oil leak right below where the exhaust pipe comes out from the Engine. Is this what your talking about? I took pictures but can't seem to post them on here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:56 pm 

bad420penguins wrote:
It looks like there is some kind of oil leak right below where the exhaust pipe comes out from the Engine. Is this what your talking about? I took pictures but can't seem to post them on here

If it is leaking right at the exhaust that's not what we should be worrying about right now. Look at the pictures I posted. You can see a blown out gasket on one and a bit of oily black running out on the other picture. Check yours. Most important right now is a compression check. That will tell you if the Engine is shot. A compression test is done with a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) (wide open throttle).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm 

By the way welcome to the site.

Profile E-mail