Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:14 pm 

Hi,
I have a 350 odyssey, bog standard.. has a new coil, new reeds,rebuilt head etc with compression, just won't start? seems like the timing is out, has a new OE CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), all the stator woodruff key in place etc. Am stumped? Before it stopped running, seemed like a fuel problem? Help? Am missing a trick somewhere....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm 

jimfoster wrote:
Hi,
I have a 350 odyssey, bog standard.. has a new coil, new reeds,rebuilt head etc with compression, just won't start? seems like the timing is out, has a new OE CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), all the stator woodruff key in place etc. Am stumped? Before it stopped running, seemed like a fuel problem? Help? Am missing a trick somewhere....

have you tried both electric and pull start? I can Crank mine all day with the electric start and it will not fire over I pull a quarter pUll on the pull start she fires right up? Beats me lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:44 pm 

Tried both, no joy....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:40 pm 

Might be a carb issue.
Are jets clear ?? Float level correct ?? Is needle valve clean and open allowing fuel in ??

Edit: Remove the fuel line from your carb and crank it over. Confirm you are even getting fuel.
On the first oddy I bought the fuel line in the tank were so corroded I got piss poor flow and the main and non on the reserve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:52 pm 

jimfoster wrote:
Hi,
I have a 350 odyssey, bog standard.. has a new coil, new reeds,rebuilt head etc with compression, just won't start? seems like the timing is out, has a new OE CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), all the stator woodruff key in place etc. Am stumped? Before it stopped running, seemed like a fuel problem? Help? Am missing a trick somewhere....

Welcome Jim.

What does bog standard mean?
What does rebuilt head mean?
You did a compression test after re-assembly?
Did you do all those mods at once? coil, reeds, head?
"Before it stopped running" - before or after you did all the changes?

Fuel
Spark
Air
:-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:36 am 

Time difference....am in France....Hence late/esarly response.The buggy has fuel, carb cleaned etc. The barrel and piston has been rebuilt, It has compression. The CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) and coil are new, great spark etc. All replaced to re-fresh all the old parts. It just won't start and seems like the timing is out? As it does fire sometimes, but appears to be late as flame out of exhaust port. All checks out, and have done all the tests in the manual. Am looking for any known ways to figure out why it does this? Have read through the forums but still can't identify my problem.
The plug is wet when I take it out.The buggy was running before, and parts changed after it started to cut out when running which we thought was down to a dirty carb, so cleaned and serviced all the old bits.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:21 am 

The way you describe that it seems you sheared the flywheel key.
I know you said it was good but when was it good ??
You can have a machine that runs one minute and then it won't run if you sheared the key.
If you have a wet plug then you have fuel. If you have spark then CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)/coil is good.
It's just not firing at the right time.

My money says you sheared the key.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:47 am 

flywheel key good, renewed just in case?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:22 am 

jimfoster wrote:
flywheel key good, renewed just in case?

Have you re-checked the flywheel key since this no start issue arose?
If not I would. Also, a simple fix could be the plug or plug cap. Sometimes if the plug gets penetrated with fuel etc. it just won't do its job or the plug cap might not be biting enough of the wire for "good" spark.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:24 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
The way you describe that it seems you sheared the flywheel key.
I know you said it was good but when was it good ??
You can have a machine that runs one minute and then it won't run if you sheared the key.
If you have a wet plug then you have fuel. If you have spark then CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)/coil is good.
It's just not firing at the right time.

My money says you sheared the key.

Like I said above.
The other thing I would check is the grounds from the battery to the frame AND the Engine.
The ground goes from battery to Engine but the Engine is in rubber mounts so they run a small wire from there to the frame. Check it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 am 

Thanks guys, will check out the wiring again today and see what happens.

Profile E-mail